Grobbins 55 Soon to Be 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank - Page 37 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1705Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #541 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Grabbed 4 of these beauties today. Could not resist!
Beauties, indeed. Excellent color on these.
Grobbins48 and Desert Pupfish like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Beauties, indeed. Excellent color on these.
The LFS I go to now is a year old, and has fantastic business practices. All fish are quarantine in a separate area (basement) to ensure maximum health. This guy is sure doing LFS the right way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #543 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Grabbed 4 of these beauties today. Could not resist!

Glad to see you picked up 4, they usually like hanging out and seem to play. They can surely jump so keep a lid on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)

post #544 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Scrubbed and clean out both filters today. I feel clean myself now!!!

Greggz, vvDO, chayos00 and 7 others like this.

|

post #545 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

One of my LFS has a few plants I want to try- ludwigia Cuba, and limnophila hippuroides. My concern is they are emerged stems, and transiting them to submetged... ludwigia had been a solid genus in my tank, so maybe not as worried.about that vs. Thr limnophila (which I recently just lost my aromatica mini).

Water parameters have remained stable since March, but I feel like with this deep canister cleaning the plants will be much happier.

Old water (before the change) was high in N03- no shock there with all the organics in the filter. Somewhere between 40-80ppm. The new tested out around 20-30, which is where I dose.

PO4 between 5-10ppm for both.

Looking to get more consistent with the filter cleaning. Back to every few weeks could really make an impact.

On another note, it seems the Panda Garra may eat BBA? Still trying to figure it out, but the rocks seem to be clearing up. The BBA grows, then if I use some Met 14 in the tank it does back from the rocks, becoming a bit red. I know that is common, but cool to see a few pumps work like that. So long as its not on the plants, I am okay with the rocks! Looks kinda nice for now.
Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 1 others like this.

|

post #546 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
One of my LFS has a few plants I want to try- ludwigia Cuba, and limnophila hippuroides. My concern is they are emerged stems, and transiting them to submetged... ludwigia had been a solid genus in my tank, so maybe not as worried.about that vs. Thr limnophila (which I recently just lost my aromatica mini).
I would try and find the Cuba already submerged.
Aromatica usually transitions well.
Grobbins48 likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #547 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I would try and find the Cuba already submerged.

Aromatica usually transitions well.
Good to know. I had some small shoots of Cuba from @Greggz last year, but they did not survive. For like $3 maybe worth a shot? I the pogo erectus (as we talked about earlier this year) did not transition on me either...

Just figured it is time to try a few new things!

|

post #548 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

P.erectus likes a lean water column yours seems a bit rich.

I tried to convert this to submerged twice.
Evenly distributed across all 3 tanks.
Some lived longer than others but all in all a flop.

Found 5 submerged stems @ a local meeting years back.
Still growing it but the algae bomb dropped my stock of 60 stems to about 15.
Greggz, burr740 and Grobbins48 like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #549 of 707 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My last CO2 exchange was on May 22nd. That tanks had lasted 83 days. I noticed the pH dropping FAST, and (thankfully again for the pH controller) realized that I was sub 500PSI on the CO2 tanks. The exchange is in today, and that bring this tank to lasting 160 days!

This is the longest ever between exchanges. Maybe a combination of the pH controller, lower light levels (using less CO2?), and only having 1 skimmer vs. 2 running?

No matter why, I'll take the 160 days!
chayos00 likes this.

|

post #550 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Uprooted nearly everything today to clean things up. Gave the opportunity for a deep gravel vac and to rethink some arrangement of the plants. Never a final setup, but working with the wood again is fun. Biggest move was the java fern to on top of the other wood.

Limnophila hippuroides is new to the tank, and as @Maryland Guppy mentioned, seems to be transiting well. I did add ludwigia cuba as well, and I can totally see why this is a tough one to transition. For fun I'll give it at least a few weeks, but talk about a substantially different structure between immersed and submerged growth!

Also added is an Amazon sword compact. Though it should be an interesting transition, first time keeping a sword.

Hope all are doing well!

Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 4 others like this.

|

post #551 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:03 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tank is looking great @Grobbins48!
Grobbins48 likes this.

post #552 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have to laugh about swords being compact. I've done a few and what should be a small plant always grows to the surface in my tank.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #553 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very nice!

Always good to get in there and really trim and clean things once in a while. Always seems to bring out better new growth.

I like the new look. Has a good vibe.

Tanks are always in transition, and yours has had a lot of different looks over time. Looks like the Bows like it as they are all out and active.
Grobbins48 likes this.

---
---
post #554 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Tank is looking great @Grobbins48!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Very nice!

Always good to get in there and really trim and clean things once in a while. Always seems to bring out better new growth.

I like the new look. Has a good vibe.

Tanks are always in transition, and yours has had a lot of different looks over time. Looks like the Bows like it as they are all out and active.
Thanks Gregg. Felt good to get after it today, and yes, the bows have always been really active and doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
I have to laugh about swords being compact. I've done a few and what should be a small plant always grows to the surface in my tank.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'll be curious to see how this grows being my first sword. I have no doubt it will grow massive. If that is the case I am sure I'll be able to give it to someone who will enjoy it!
Greggz and chayos00 like this.

|

post #555 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:09 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Looking great man, really nice pics.
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode