Grobbins 55 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank (More New Stems 5-2-2019) - Page 34 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #496 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
No surprise that I love the Bow pics.......nice shots.

Plant pics are great too. Glad to see the BGA is gone. Any changes in dosing or lights?

And is that L. Peruensis?
Grobbins48 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
No surprise that I love the Bow pics.......nice shots.

Plant pics are great too. Glad to see the BGA is gone. Any changes in dosing or lights?

And is that L. Peruensis?
Thanks Gregg!

Dosing has remained the same for the past few months- adding the following after each 70% water change:

NO3: 30ppm
PO4: 8ppm
K: 30ppm
Mg: 7ppm

Lighting is the same, though have a broken glass lid for the back, and running no lids at the moment.

Lighting cycle remains the 8hrs with 4 hrs in middle with both lights on. Considering making the 110ish par portion longer now that BBA is gone and things are humming along.

And yes, it is L.Peruensis- my second go with it, and I am glad I have it back! You have it in you tank right now, right Gregg? What is it looking like?
Greggz likes this.

|

post #498 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
And yes, it is L.Peruensis- my second go with it, and I am glad I have it back! You have it in you tank right now, right Gregg? What is it looking like?
Started with small stems, and only about 6" tall now, so a long way to get near the light.

So far, so good..........................

------------------

post #499 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Started with small stems, and only about 6" tall now, so a long way to get near the light.

So far, so good..........................

Looking good. It is quite the slow grower, maybe an inch a week or so.

Mine was emersed grown and converted over to submerged quite well. During its transition it threw out more daughter plants than I had room for, so I have these four large stems at the moment. The tallest is about half way to the surface, so we have a while!

|

post #500 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just a few more for fun- playing with shadows and highlights in the pro settings. Not an every day thing, but fun to toy with!

|

post #501 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just a water change!

With no glass lids right now the PAR levers are much highet. According to post #284 I am anywhere between 130 and 155 PAR at the substrate right now... hmm might need to fix that soon...

This led to a slight algae uptick, but nothing horrible. I also think some of the older emersed growth leaves that are dying off led to a little algae as well.

Did a nice little trim to rid of all remaining emerged growth and we should be good to go!

Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 4 others like this.

|

post #502 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@Quagulator I now have experienced what you mean about the Monte Carlo getting too much and trapping a fish. Lucky for me (at least for the time being) he seems to be okay, although banged up pretty good. This carpet needs to be trimmed, and may be seeing its final days...

In other news, with running no glass lids the PAR levels are 80/145- And I am gonna keep it up for a little while just to experience it. Both the AR and AR mini variegated are collecting staghorne algae, but they never really do that well anyways.

My micros bottle ran out, so while mixing up a new batch I decided to lower B to .03 from .05. No other reason besides the stories of too much B being toxic, figured I would lower and see if anything happened.

I do have one Pogo K stem that looks like it is about to stunt. My plan, if all goes well, is to water change tonight (last one was Thursday, but I'll be traveling next week, so trying to keep things clean and good) and see if anything changes balance of the week.

Here is the latest dosing sheet

Greggz and Quagulator like this.

|

post #503 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is the quick picture I grabbed- he is doing well and eating today.

|

post #504 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Crazy how they'll get way underneath. I lost two of my dwarf rainbows because of lifting MC.

post #505 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Crazy how they'll get way underneath. I lost two of my dwarf rainbows because of lifting MC.
That's right, I knew someone else had that same issue, just forgot it was you!

It will get fixed this weekend. Water change quick last night to keep things clean. Only running one light right now, no lids. It is summer time, I am okay if the plants allow down a bit!

|

post #506 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

It will get fixed this weekend.
Once you start pulling the carpet up, just yank the whole danrn thing out and start from scratch, don't try and "save" the existing carpet.

YMMV....

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #507 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Are we talking Dwarf Neon Rainbows? If so they remain the craziest species of fish I've ever kept.

@Grobbins48 I know you've been advised against it but is there no way to save the carpet. Perhaps give it a light trim and let it flourish. It looks way too lush to discard in my humble opinion.
post #508 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post

@Grobbins48 I know you've been advised against it but is there no way to save the carpet. Perhaps give it a light trim and let it flourish. It looks way too lush to discard in my humble opinion.
Jury is still out on what I will do- I have a few ideas right now, but only time will tell.

It is super healthy, lush, and beautiful right now. I shared that picture of the rainbow above on my local aquarium Facebook group and within a few minutes had three or four people want to buy some of the monte carlo off me.

Now, that's not what I am in the hobby for, and I would rather trade with someone or gift it to them in place of selling it, as I had some people support me with donations when I was getting started!

I have done the trim in the past where I keep the roots and let it grow back. Really depends on how things look post trim.

|

post #509 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:12 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Jury is still out on what I will do- I have a few ideas right now, but only time will tell.

It is super healthy, lush, and beautiful right now. I shared that picture of the rainbow above on my local aquarium Facebook group and within a few minutes had three or four people want to buy some of the monte carlo off me.

Now, that's not what I am in the hobby for, and I would rather trade with someone or gift it to them in place of selling it, as I had some people support me with donations when I was getting started!

I have done the trim in the past where I keep the roots and let it grow back. Really depends on how things look post trim.
Trimming and selling it is a good idea. If I was in the market I'd definitely buy some from you. When it comes to monte carlo your overgrown plant looks as healthy as healthy gets so why not?
post #510 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I agree with @Quagulator, just rip the entire carpet up and clean the gravel underneath. If you want another carpet, just replant small portions here and there and it'll grow back in no time. But the 2nd time around mow the carpet every couple of weeks to keep it low, otherwise it gets overgrown pretty fast. I didn't do the mowing and I wish I did.

@RollaPrime, yes, it was Dwarf Neon Rainbows that got caught underneath. Not sure how they did it as the lifted portion was right next to the glass. Crazy buggers!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode