Lot’s going on over here-
New custom micro dosing
Purchased new light (waiting on delivery)
pH meter- separate thread
So to start with, I added some stems of hygrophila angustifolia, baby tears- Micranthemum micranthemoides, and ludwigia ovalis. Will update the first post with all plants in the tank, but at my count there are 16 different species. I think I need to stop for the time being, or at least if I get something new, pull something out to put into the 29 gallon (which is a disaster… yikes…)
After a lot of reading, research, and contemplating, I have decided that using CSM+B for micros is not the way that I want to go. Some of the trace elements are such small quantities there is no telling what my tank is getting every time I dose. I also wanted to use DPTA Fe vs the EDTA that is in the CSM+B. With that said, I reached out to @burr740
who has put together an amazing package that includes the 6 micros in reasonable quantities for an amazing price. I added on the DPTA Fe as well, so in the mail today came all 7 trace elements. The Fe will be the first element to run out on me, and I have at least 3 years’ worth. The NiSO4.5H2O I have over 19 years’ worth!! I feel like I got an incredible value, and at the same time saved some $$$ not buying large, unnecessary quantities of everything. I know there is a thread on this, and that people are already working together, but it is the way to go IMHO!
Now for the dosing. I am starting with that Burr recommended that people have been using which is the following:
Fe - .15 ppm
Mn - .075 ppm
B - .03 ppm
Zn - .055 ppm
Mo - .0015 ppm
Cu - .002 ppm
Ni - .0005 ppm
I added all of this (by the mg- using rotallabutterly.com) to a 16 oz bottle with a 1.25oz pump. I am not sure if it is 100% metered, however testing 8 pumps about 10 time, I came up with the same number of ml which was 10 (10/8 = 1.25). I then added 10 ml of distilled vinegar to 450 ml of distilled water, and added everything into the 16oz bottle. Capped it tight, and shook it like crazy. Everything looks dissolved, but as per recommended I am letting in sit for 24 hrs before my first dose. Right now I think I will stay with macros 3x and then micros 3x. Once things settle in a bit more I may experiment with front loading, but not ready to make that move yet.
On my latest cleaning and water change today, the tank has been showing noticeably less algae. I have been working on getting the CO2 to a high level (more on this next). The rocks seem to be what is collecting the most green algae, and are a lot of work to scrape off. I did most of them, but did leave a few rocks. Not sure if in time it will go away on its own, or if I have created myself a bigger issue. The only other thing I do see, is some of the rocks are getting a dark brown to black algae that is showing in little spots. Again, only on the rocks, and it did not scrub off. I am wondering, could this be BBA? I’ll keep an eye on it…
Now for the lighting. I could not resist, as I was able to find a Beamswork DHL 1W 6,500K for about $40 shipped from a certain website who shall not be named. It is set to be here on Wednesday. This should put me at 100+ PAR at the substrate according to the Beamswork thread measurements (including the DA FSPEC). I am really excited for this, and think I have my CO2 dialed in pretty good at this point.
Which brings me to the pH meter that I purchased from Amazon this week. I have a seperate thread on it here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...entration.html
The short of it is I am getting, according to the pH meter and degassed tank water, a ~1.8pH drop. Seems pretty crazy to me, but there are absolutely no issues with the fish in the tank. I still have a hard time believing this drop, so I will keep checking. This is more for my education and discovery at this point. I know that if the plants are happy and pearling, and the livestock is happy and healthy then the actual number do not really matter. I think for me it is knowing things are going well before upping the lighting to double Beamswork fixtures.