Some updates to the tank, which is now far more planted, but not yet complete (are we ever 'complete'?). Note- I know there needs to be some maintenance done, as there is some slight algae. I think I am finishing up a diatoms phase right now, and just recently got some green hair algae (I think?). I attribute this to running the CO2 for a about a week or two with no real plant mass, and with that no dry dosing of ferts. Wanted to work on dialing in the CO2 level before the next step. That being said, I think I have found a good spot, where the flow meter is running about 14 cc/min at 40psi into the reactor. Getting the light green color I desire now, and have it on the same timer set-up as the 29 gallon.
I am still running a bag a carbon I put in a couple weeks ago to strip meds out. Also running 2 bags of purigen. This is the first time I am using it in the hobby, and first year of planted tanks, so we will see how I feel about it. Reading through other posts it seems people love it. @Greggz
I saw you put the purigen back in as well in your journal, so I'll be sure to keep following along to learn more.
I have also been running the UV a little bit every week. My concern with running 100% is reading/seeing YouTube videos of the UV bulb actually eating away at the SunSun baskets. I don't want to run into that. I did have a little green water outbreak in the 29 gallon this week as the dwarf sag was melting as it transitioned to submerged form. Some of that translated over to the 55, but two days of UV and it seems to be under control. I'll keep it off for now, and probably run it for a day post every water change.
Side note, the 29 gallon is getting a SunSun 702 this week (with UV), so that is exciting to change to that from a HOB. Should help out a lot of things.
Here is what I am dosing currently in the pictures below. For some reason, I cannot seem to figure out how to make the pictures show up in the body of the post...
For plants, most everything was stated out in my 29 gallon to get it going, and has now been moved over (besides the monte carlo and crypt wendtii bronz which were planted right in the 55). Here is the plant list:
water sprite- will come out
crypt undulata red
crypt wendtii bronze
micranthemum monte carlo
To be added
staurogyne repens- growing out in 29 gallon
some other stems- not sure, will see what the LFS has, or the for sale/ RAOK section of the forum has.
Finally, for anyone who enjoys cameras (I am learning more about my DSLR every day) here is what I am using. Note, that pictures were taken during the day with lots of ambient light, and I am by no means a professional. Just used auto-focus this time.
Camera- Nikon D3300
Lens- AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm
Filter- Vivitar CPL (helps with glare, really amazing and the reason I did not use my Galaxy S8 phone camera today)
I think that covers just about everything right now.