2Likes
  • 4 Post By Minimoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Custom LOTR theme tank

Heyas,

So I'm very slowly making a little (20L) Bag End replica tank for my friend for his birthday. This is my clay model, needs a little tidying but I'll do that when my moulding silicone arrives

The plan is to mould it, cast it in resin, paint in acrylic then seal with a little more resin. I will let it cure for about 2 weeks completely whilst I dry start growing some dwarf hair grass for the scape. It will take a few weeks but hopefully I will be able to mould it this time next week.

This is my first time doing this, so I'm starting small. If it works out I have plans/ideas for other themed scapes (The Hobbit, Harry Potter and Avatar). Fingers crossed!

Questions and suggestions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_123049.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	844890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_123055.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	844898  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome...ive kind of wanted to do a Zelda themed tank but havent gotten there yet.

1) Id maybe get rid of the tree up top and just get a mini bonsai tree...will add to the realism of the scene.

2) the negative space on the second tier (where the stone walkway and flat part to the left is) id dig the clay deep between the stones and the fence and the house. This will allow you to add some aquasoil in there and grow a low carpeting plant. Seems you already have a nice cavity on the first tier behind the fence for this.

looks good so far. I'm assuming its a solid chunk of clay? would have been cool if the house was hollow and you could put a dull warm LED inside so you get light out of the windows at night.

just my .02

Vin
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional View Post

1) Id maybe get rid of the tree up top and just get a mini bonsai tree...will add to the realism of the scene.
I did originally plan on this but the only one I could get of that size in Australia was nearly $60 plus shipping, I am not that rich

Quote:

2) the negative space on the second tier (where the stone walkway and flat part to the left is) id dig the clay deep between the stones and the fence and the house. This will allow you to add some aquasoil in there and grow a low carpeting plant. Seems you already have a nice cavity on the first tier behind the fence for this.
That's the plan with the bottom part, the upper part is where his garden is in the movie/books so I was planning on gluing on a little bit of moss to form a small 'bush' and cascade over the edge. I may carve a little extra out, not sure how much clay I have to play with.

Quote:
looks good so far. I'm assuming its a solid chunk of clay? would have been cool if the house was hollow and you could put a dull warm LED inside so you get light out of the windows at night.
It has aluminium foil inside it to help with the shape and use less clay. I thought about propping the door open and making a small cave in my initial concept, but it was a bit difficult and, as it is my very first time doing it, I decided to just go simple. I may one day re-do this concept a bit bigger with something like your light suggestion

Thanks for the feed back!

I got an email today saying the mould/cast materials have been shipped so hopefully they will be here Monday or Tuesday

Tags
custom, diy, fantasy, lotr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode