Craigslist tank redo: 9 Gallon Nano - update - chilli rasboras and white fungus problem? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By andrewss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Craigslist tank redo: 9 Gallon Nano - update - chilli rasboras and white fungus problem?

Hey plantedtank community! Well I had a 40 gallon tank that ended up getting a bit out of hand with algae and was low-tech, since I had to move I decided it could be time to start new, so I used the sale money to just get a used setup locally, this time for a nano since I find they are much easier to move with in the end (if I ever have to soon). A decent offer came up online and I decided to take it. I was silly and didn't take photos when I first got it but it was quite cluttered with just plants from the original owners main tank - he was just using it as a quarantine tank. Anyway I rescaped it today and added some anubias and javaferns - then the large piece of driftwood from the LFS. But yeah key being I didnt really do a total rescape, I kind of squashed down the driftwood on there after removing the front plants and some that I was certain aren't gonna do well without co2 from his main tank he stuck in there. I want to kind of keep this tank really easy - not sure about Co2 or anything but yeah I am not sure but I think many of the plants in there with the current scape should work with this low-tech setup but I am not sure. Can any of you ID the non anubias/javafern plants? Should they do ok with out co2? I suppose the driftwood blocks a lot of light for many of them now too but I guess I can remove whatever dies off.

As for stocking with fish I really am not sure what to do with this 8 gallon setup... was thinking originally a betta but I dunno sometimes they seem almost TOO decorative and almost unnaturally ornamental so I dunno, really not sure what to go with. Definitely some easy red shrimps and a couple snails though... beyond that? Any ideas what you all think would look good with this scape and tank size?

Here are some photos!

During the coming week I wanna make a nice stand for it and rearrange my room some so I can place the tank in a corner. Then the following week I think I'll stock the tank. The tank is already cycled from the previous owner, I assume the filter bacteria had no problem with the 1 hour in the plastic bag during transport... We'll see!

Updates incoming!

Last edited by andrewss; 08-04-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, here is a big 4 month update:

I decided for a crowntail betta, I got him from a local breeder and hes great, just a bit aggressive and he ended up making a couple amanos jump ship so he is totally alone now and I guess I can't really put anything in there with him, although at some point I think I'll get assassin snails because I have seen a few small baby snails in there recently.

The tank has really settled in well, the plants stretch a bit for light and have to be trimmed a lot but generally it is working well as a low-tech tank, I added a cool little blue moon-light led beam kind of thing that makes a great vibe at night, having the lights independent of each other with timers makes it really convenient - I cleaned the tank yesterday so it is looking great today and Taksin is really happy that I have sorted out a nice A/C unit in the room so his tank isn't so hot (was 31 Celsius now its 28-29... huge heat wave in europe right now).

I am really happy with how my custom tank stand turned out, I made it out of multiplex wood and painted it and clear coated it with a marine clear coat. I gave the two pieces a bit of a lip too so the water line is a bit hidden above and below not quite as much substrate is visible since there was a bit too much in there. I also put an aquarium glass pad for the bottom so the fit is stable and safer. I will sort out a lid at some point soon but for now haven't made one and there is really no danger of jumping since the profile is so tall on the upper part. I have found that I can actually drain and move the tank quite easily with this setup which is really convenient if I ever have to move. For now it is a great desktop setup and it sits next to my laptop.

Thus far it has gone great with no algae and decent low-tech plant setup, only give it liquid co2 and a basic general fertilizer.

Hope you liked the update and seeing how the tank developed!

zmartin and Cinnamonamon like this.

my 8 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 35 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey guys! So unfortunately Taksin the Betta died a month ago or so

I have some shrimp and 8 Chili rasboras now! I have a few questions though, I actually have gotten a bit of "white fungus" growing around the bottom of my tank / substrate - I'll upload some photos to show you it, but does anyone know what that is and how I can fight it? Honestly my substrate is pretty grimy because I cannot get to so many areas due to the nano size and all the clutter of the plants and drift wood making it really hard to reach into many areas. I got a couple nerite snails but maybe I need more help in that area? Any ideas?

Here are some photos:

I need to probably do a lot of water changes in the next weeks no? I detected a bit of a sulfur smell in the water/grime I siphoned off the bottom today in the bucket it smelled kinda of sulfur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_131804.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	882405  

Name:	20190602_131756.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	882407  

Name:	20190602_131814.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	882409  

Name:	20190605_130548.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	882411  

Name:	20190605_130629.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	882413  

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your tank is gorgeous! I don't know if the "fungus" is dangerous or not, but in general a couple snails will probably help with those hard-to-reach places to clean. For gravel vacuuming, some people use a turkey baster or a chop stick to stir up the surface, then allow the vac to suck up the debris that rises. I've even been known to use the turkey baster to suck out spots of "gunk" when the water level was low enough for me to reach it easily...

How is your custom stand holding up? It looks great!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
The white fungus on driftwood is usually just biofilm growing from the leeching sugars. I'd bet your shrimp are appreciating it even if there is more than they can consume. As for the sulphur smell, whenever you have a deep substrate bed there is going to be anaerobic bacteria and you'll eventually have that. For partial water changes I like the small size Python brand siphon for nano tanks of this size. That looks like standard aquarium gravel so you should be able to use a small siphon like that without uprooting plants (as can be the case with really light soils). I'm an advocate for a series of small partial water changes rather than one large one, particularly in a shrimp tank. And I agree with Cinnamonamon that stand and canopy look fantastic!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode