30 gallon - African Dwarf Frog Colony - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
30 gallon - African Dwarf Frog Colony

I figured that I started one for my 20g, why not my 30g?

The photo above was taken before Phantom (the Betta) was transferred into the 20 gallon. He is a big fat bloodworm hog, the frogs don't stand a chance at all and I don't have time to hand feed everyday so for I moved him. (In the photo the tank is only half full as I was just intoducing the frogs to deeper water, it is not really safe to just "drop them in" when the water is so much deeper than before.)

I had these frogs when I was a kid but I didn't really know how to care for them at all, and as recommended by a pet shop employee I was feeding them fish flakes in a community tank... needless to say they didn't last long.

Anyways, I got two frogs from a friend who ordered them because "they're so cute" but didn't know how to care for them. She had 3 frogs in a 2 gallon tank with no heater or filter, and she knew she had no idea what she was doing so she gave them to me. Within a day one of them died from red-leg, luckily I was swift on treatment/setting up a proper tank for them and the remaining two survived.

Long story short, they grew into adults fast and I found that I had one male and one female.

They went through amplexus a few times a while ago and were successful with one batch of eggs. Unfortunately a power outage wiped out all but one tadpole, Lucky. I moved Lucky into the main tank. While ADF can eat their eggs/tadpoles, they aren't very good at it. Well-fed adults in a heavily planted tank don't consume their offspring, even if they wanted to it is doubtful that they'd catch them. (Anyone who has these frogs would agree)

So I decided that I am going to let this 30 gallon turn into an ADF colony, and I brought in two more frogs to widen the gene pool a little. Eventually I would like to change it into an Congo/African Swamp Biotope, but that's another story!

Anyways, I suppose that's about it for now, so here are some photos!

"This tank aint big enough for the both of us, partner"
(haha, I know - I am lame)

Above is Jamally, the female given to me by my friend.

Below is the new young male, Kazoo, shown in my avatar.

If you want to learn about African Dwarf Frogs, feel free to check out the website I made about them.
The Frog Farm

Oh yeah, here is Lucky.

Thanks for looking!

Sabrina
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
So fricken cute!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! I think so too. Lucky has grown quite a bit since this photo.

Sabrina

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogFarm View Post
GORGEOUS picture of Phantom! He's got beautiful colors! (and I'm jealous of your camera!) And it's ok, we're all big nerd here, that is EXACTLY what it looks like the frog is saying to Phantom and with his little mouth open like that, it REALLY looks like he talking

Very cool frog setup too! My boyfriend has always thought these guys were cool, how do you think they'd do in a 60g with some black neons, a few cories and a pair of bristlenose plecos?

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
awesome job breeding them, thats the first dwarf african frog tadpole I have ever seen
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Subscribed! I love ADF's...I must now find a tank to add them back into...

40g SW Reef, 3.7g SW Reef, 20g planted RCS
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are awesome little critters!
Thanks Karackle! That photo cracks me up!
My camera actually isn't that great it is a Kodak EasyShare C813, I think Phantom just makes the photos look great. He is a stunning fish, I couldn't resist when I saw him.

How tall is your 60g?
The main issues these guys have is they aren't all that strong of swimmers but are bottom dwellers, so too deep of a tank can cause issues. Also, they're virtually helpless most of the time when it comes to food competition, most find feeding them with long tweezers or a turkey baster works well, I feed mine by hand but it would be a pain in a larger tank with other fish that's for sure.

Thanks, F22! Supposedly it is really hard to get them to lay successfully, hopefully I will keep up with such luck in the future!

Haha, MeanGreenEyes, you should!

Sabrina
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogFarm View Post
Haha, MeanGreenEyes, you should!

I might just spend tomorrow doing just that! lol

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hahaha - keep me posted!

Sabrina
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Where do you get your ADF's? I am thinking of adding a 2 or 3 to my 20g tank...but I need to do more research on them. I have a sponge of the filter already...The one I used to have (before responsible fish keeping) never seemed hungry and just sat there...I could maybe add a moss island or something to the tank. The tank is a 20g HIGH tank....

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Algae Grower

Lol...will do!

@ Caton...most lfs carry them...at least every one that I've been to...and they've all been very hardy...the Petland near me sells them for $1.88/piece...and they're truly aquatic...no need for an island...FrogFarm posted a nice link to his site for more info on them too...good luck...you'll love them...

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Well, I don't just want ANY ADF....I want the BEST

I know they are aquatic, but I have heard that some like an island, and I have just read through his site. Would they eat baby RCS?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Well, I don't just want ANY ADF....I want the BEST

I know they are aquatic, but I have heard that some like an island, and I have just read through his site. Would they eat baby RCS?
Sorry to hijack FrogFarm...

Caton...Understood...and never heard of that one...the most mine had ever done was come to the surface for air...and they would definitely eat RCS...even adults would fit in their mouths and they love to eat shrimp...

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

hmmm the 60 might be too deep then.....might have to sort out something else for him instead...we shall see....what about 1 in a 10g with some white clouds?.....oh but you said they're social right? (i was reading your website a little but there's lots of info so I didn't get through it all, but i think I remember that) so would 1 be unhappy? let's see....at ~2.5g / frog....could I do 2 in a 10g with white clouds do you think? is a reg 10g too deep for them?

The boy has always liked them but I didn't know how they did with fish so I was hesitant to get one for him, but after reading your info, I'm wondering if we COULD get one....hmm....(his bday is in a couple weeks, unfortunately we don't have the space for another tank right now so I'm trying to think of a way to use one of the ones we already have set up but if it's not gonna work for the froggies, it'll have to wait until we do have space for another tank....)

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have heard of them using islands but have yet to witness mine do anything spectacular with the floating wood, plants etc that they have. They are nocturnal though so who knows!

You're right about that, they are shrimp consuming machines.

eta:

Karackle, I think the 60 gallon is too deep.
I would say 20" is the limit.

A standard 10 gallon with some WCMM would be perfect.
Be sure to use FULL grown WCMM though because if they're too small/slow they could get eaten.
A standard 10g can comfortably house 3 of these frogs, and yes one would be lonely as they like to live in groups. You can really tell by watching them too.

Sabrina

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode