Albimarginata 6.6 or oops I broke the edge - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Albimarginata 6.6 or oops I broke the edge

So I was cleaning out the fluval edge that I recently replaced with a 10.8 gallon cuboid. While I was doing it I ended up cracking the top glass. So much for trading it in for credit with Vance or Easy

So I took a razor blade and de-topped it. Thinking of making it a little betta albimarginatta species tank. Ideally I would find a female and three males to form a breeding group.

First I need to finish cleaning the old edge and leak testing it.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Countertop in the kitchen where I was thinking of putting it isn't level so I'm going to have to make a platform for it.

I've got a 25Watt cobalt neotherm heater from when I had it setup before. But I'll need a different filter and light.

For filter I'm thinking the best think for the Albi's might be sponge filter. But I do hate the noise :/

I need to figure out what to do for a light as well. something that will deliver low light to the substrate through a cover of red root floaters. Any suggestions?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

test setup with MGOPS, BDBS, and a piece of driftwood from a system I broke down awhile ago.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Damn, that's a nice piece of wood. It fits that tank perfectly. Color me jealous!

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buy a cheap finnex clip on light on Amazon or ebay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Adam
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Damn, that's a nice piece of wood. It fits that tank perfectly. Color me jealous!
Thanks, it's a reuse from another tank. It used to be even fancier but a BN ate it down to this point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added plants today.

coin mini buce from buceplant.com

the rest came from @Bartohog on here.

RRF
Medium baby's tears
Marsilea crenata
Ludwigiaxlacustris
Hydrocoytle Japan
Dwarf Sag
Microsorum mini leaf

bad pick but it gives an idea.

Water's a bit cloudy from doing a 90 percent WC and messing with the plants. Hopefully it will clear by tomorrow and they'll perk up over the next few days.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's a great choice of plants. Continuing to look forward to seeing this evolve.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
That's a great choice of plants. Continuing to look forward to seeing this evolve.
Thanks! I'm anxious to see it mature as well.

FTS update now that I got the new light.

Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice set up , albis do prefer acidic and tannin stained water so Iíd add some almond leaves and a cover because all wild bettas are jumpers (I learned this the hard way) . Iím keeping betta rutilans right now and I want to get into albis or channoides but Iím having a bit of a hard time finding them in my area . Anyways , canít wait to see how this progresses !
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Seeded the tank with fresh water annelids, copepods, scuds, isopods etc.. Added a moss ball I was given for free.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's looking great! I can see some Bettas being really happy in there.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
That's looking great! I can see some Bettas being really happy in there.
Thanks! Now I just have to be patient and wait for the plants to fill in before I order the Bettas If I find someone selling Caridina culls/mischlings for cheap I may throw 25-50 in and hope they reproduce faster than the bettas eat them but we'll see.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
Thanks! Now I just have to be patient and wait for the plants to fill in before I order the Bettas If I find someone selling Caridina culls/mischlings for cheap I may throw 25-50 in and hope they reproduce faster than the bettas eat them but we'll see.
That's my problem too. I've got the shrimp, but the overflow and sump are eating them like nobody's business. I just hope they don't get sucked into the pumps and become little pink clouds of mush. I also need to find some fish species which will play relatively nice with them. As happy as I am to finally be able to keep some sort of shrimp alive and actually breeding, they're also a bit of a pain and limitation. Such is the price we pay, right?

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
That's my problem too. I've got the shrimp, but the overflow and sump are eating them like nobody's business. I just hope they don't get sucked into the pumps and become little pink clouds of mush. I also need to find some fish species which will play relatively nice with them. As happy as I am to finally be able to keep some sort of shrimp alive and actually breeding, they're also a bit of a pain and limitation. Such is the price we pay, right?
The trip into the sump shouldn't hurt them. Shrimets should pass through the pump ok I would think. Tankmates are tough. A lot of fish under 1 inch are compatible with adults, but pretty much anything will eat the babies. Super heavy planting is the only answer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode