40B "I might be getting a divorce..." Journal -- Pics Added Last Page - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
40B "I might be getting a divorce..." Journal -- Pics Added Last Page

Couldn't resist the Petco $1/gallon sale any longer. Finally found a 40B at my local store and grabbed it. I don't think my wife will be nearly as excited as I am. This tank will be going on a rack in my storage room which Im slowly trying to turn into a fish room. Here is a picture of the placement:

I have most of the equipment to get it running already lying around. I'll need to get a better lighting solution and some kind of Co2 setup going as Im going high tech with this one. Here's the projected build list:

Tank: 40 Breeder
Filter: Fluval 304 (until I can upgrade to the Eheim I want)
Light: 4' Shop Light with one GE Plant Bulb and one 65k Bulb
Substrate: Either Flourite or AZOO/Mr. Aqua (haven't quite decided)
Co2: Piecing together a decent pressurized system
Fauna: RCS to start
Flora: HC, HC, HC, and some more HC

Shooting for an Iwagumi style tank with this one. Single carpet plant selection with some stone. Still trying to track down the right stone. Any ideas or suggestions welcome...

Last edited by GitMoe; 03-03-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
What is the bulb size for the fixture? T5HO? Everything looks sweet though. Can not wait to see it setup!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
What is the bulb size for the fixture? T5HO? Everything looks sweet though. Can not wait to see it setup!
The shop light over it now takes trusty T12 bulbs.... lol. Waaaaay old school.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
The shop light over it now takes trusty T12 bulbs.... lol. Waaaaay old school.
You do know that having a pressurized CO2 system is pointless unless you up your lighting? Right?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
You do know that having a pressurized CO2 system is pointless unless you up your lighting? Right?
He has his lighting already...
I'd strongly recommend an upgrade though. LOL. But you are only growing HC, so you should be fine.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Great tank size. Are those wire racks capable of carrying that much weight? Once filled it will weigh over 350 pounds.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
He has his lighting already...
Two T12 bulbs even with reflectors are not enough to drive a plants need for CO2 to the point that a pressurized system is not needed/a waste of money. I would advise you to get a two bulb T5HO fixture form Catalina or Nova Extreme.

I was also wondering about the stand... Not strong enough IMO.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Two T12 bulbs even with reflectors are not enough to drive a plants need for CO2 to the point that a pressurized system is not needed/a waste of money.
There's no harm in adding pressurized (or DIY) CO2 to any setup, regardless of lighting...

Anyway, plans look great. I love iwagumi tanks. I've always wanted to have a 40B, too. Neat dimensions to work with.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
There's no harm in adding pressurized (or DIY) CO2 to any setup, regardless of lighting...

Anyway, plans look great. I love iwagumi tanks. I've always wanted to have a 40B, too. Neat dimensions to work with.
There is no harm, but remember the amount of light pushes a plant's need of nutients and CO2. Two T12's will not drive a plant's need for CO2 to make a pressurized CO2 worth it. Would'n it be better too not waste $300 on something that the plants do not need.

I look forward to your planted Iwagumi, and pardon my thread jacking!

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I would put a piece of plywood under the tank to distribute the weight evenly over the shelf you have it on. I have a 20g long on a similar style shelf and I used a sheet of metal to disperse the weight a little more. Works well, just keep an eye out for any bowing of that shelf.

Those 40b's are sweet as pie! Have fun!

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
didnt read everything yet needed to point this out.

That tank will weigh in the range of 400lbs once filled with rock water and fish
That rack doesnt look like it can hold 400lbs for a long period of time. not to mention its metal which will rust with all the water around it

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!

SunSun Pimp #39
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
Couldn't resist the Petco $1/gallon sale any longer. Finally found a 40B at my local store and grabbed it. I don't think my wife will be nearly as excited as I am. This tank will be going on a rack in my storage room which Im slowly trying to turn into a fish room. Here is a picture of the placement:

I have most of the equipment to get it running already lying around. I'll need to get a better lighting solution and some kind of Co2 setup going as Im going high tech with this one. Here's the projected build list:

Tank: 40 Breeder
Filter: Fluval 304 (until I can upgrade to the Eheim I want)
Light: 4' Shop Light with one GE Plant Bulb and one 65k Bulb
Substrate: Either Flourite or AZOO/Mr. Aqua (haven't quite decided)
Co2: Piecing together a decent pressurized system
Fauna: RCS to start
Flora: HC, HC, HC, and some more HC

Shooting for an Iwagumi style tank with this one. Single carpet plant selection with some stone. Still trying to track down the right stone. Any ideas or suggestions welcome...
He already mentioned he's getting different lights...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, wow.... I feel sooooooo stupid right now... *Begins banging head against computer desk*

Sorry!

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

- I'm getting better lights
- The rack shelf holds 500+ lbs per shelf and I have plywood for under the tank. The rack is also stainless. It's commercial quality not something cheap from Target.
- Thanks for the concerns.

Sent from my Tricorder using TapaTalk Pro
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
metal rack

Those metal racks support their shelves by plastic things that go around the bars. the plastic can compress under heavy weights. It is just my opinion but i would never put a tank on that. It isnt worth coming home to find your tank on the floor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode