• 2 Post By mgeorges
  • 2 Post By teskken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 5 gallon redemption tank

Hello everyone c:

I first got into the hobby of keeping an aquarium 3+ years ago, I started with a 2.5 gallon acrylic mini bow and immediately returned it and got a 17 gallon Mr. Aqua. I had that tank up and running for 2 years as high tech and fully planted. When I returned to school I had to tear it down and store it away as my parents did not want an aquarium that large in their house since I was already bringing a cat.

This weekend, I set up a 5 gallon up tank again. I went with the Fluval Chi because it was the most conservative footprint while having a decent water volume. I quickly found out that the filter and light system was prohibitive for what I wanted. Since then, I’ve purchased an Aquaclear 20 and have ordered a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ clip on. I’ve also done a ghetto mod to have the acrylic mod accommodate my HOB and do not recommend others to do this.

Now then, onto the details.

Equipment:
X1 Fluval Chi glass aquarium
X1 Fluval C2
X1 Aqueon 50watt adjustable heater
X1 Finnex Fugeray Planted+ Clip on
X1 Belkin WeMo Smart Switch

I also have a thermometer in the tank. Along with Seachem’s pH and ammonia alert for quick checking. I still have my API Freshwater Master Test Kit for actual checking from when I first got into the hobby.

As far as landscaping, the tank is pretty bare bones. I’m still in the process of receiving a lot of plants and have only received one package so far.

Substrate:
X1 4.4lb bag of Fluval Stratum

Flora:
Vallisneria Americana var. biwaensis
Anubias barteri var. nana ‘petite’

For now, I’m kind of at a loss for what kind of foreground plant todo, or if I want to do any kind of carpeting. I definitely want some bucephalandra in there, but I have to work with limited space, so I don’t want to jump the gun yet. I have also purchased a bottle of NilocG’s Enhance and Thrive and Thrive+. I made the mistake of ordering the wrong bottle first by removing the incorrect one from cart. . A.

For fauna, I will only keep a koi plakat. I may add a snail but I find them a little gross so maybe I won’t.

Fauna:
X1 Betta splendens

I think my betta is enjoying the tank more than this tiny cup. When I picked him up, he had an inch and a half of water left. He’s been dubbed Kancho after one of my favorite snacks C: (Lotte Kancho).

Last edited by teskken; 03-30-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Updated HOB filter model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Todayís been a busy mail day for me already.

In todayís mail check I received:
X1 Finnex Fugeray Planted+ Clip on
X4 bunches of Anubias nana petites
X1 500ml bottle of Enhance
X1 500ml bottle of Thrive

Iíll probably wait a little bit to dose the Thive and Enhance so that my tank can stabilize a little bit. Iím still looking for suggestions on foreground plants as well. I would really love something red to add some color in.

And then, a miscellaneous yet related purchase, I got a 60mm f/2.8mm macro lens for my Canon 100D. Hopefully we will get some fun fish shots!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Looks like a good start. Iíve got an old Chi at home that Iíve considered starting up again, so Iíll be watching. I donít know if Iíd do a carpet if youíre also planning Buce and Anubias, but maybe Dwarf Hairgrass or Monte Carlo?

Can you elaborate on the HOB mod you mentioned? I have an Aquaclear 20 that Iíd use too. With my Spec V I ended up just taking the plastic clip off of the glass with a bit of thin wire.

Good luck. Post more pics!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Funko!

Iím not sure if I want a carpet yet. Itís still a hard decision for me right now, I know for a fact that I donít want something super common but also something that isnít super hard. And, with it being too late for a dry start, kind of humming and hawing about my options. Lol.

The mod that I did was only for the lid of the Chi that came in my kit. I think itís a new piece that they started adding, you can buy the lid separately too. I just keep my lid on because I have a cat but this is what I did.

I scored the acrylic lid and snapped the end pieces off so that I can continue to use the lid while using a HOB and clip on light. I tried to cut it at first (IíM DUMB AND IíVE NEVER WORKED WITH ACRYLIC. ) And I made an ugly mess. But, then, I did it again the second time for the other side and it came out a little better, I still had to use scissor to make the inital break point because I couldnít get it break while just trying to snap the piece off.

Here are photos of my ratchet Chi lid now.

You can tell that the second side look MUCH better than the first side. Lol.

I do plan to go back with a razor/x-acto knife and cut that black piece off like you mentioned, I donít have any thin wire. :<

In todayís mail, my Fluval C2 came in, so I added filter floss into where they want you to put the activated carbon, because clear water. And, I transferred all my biomedia over. This one is SOOO much quieter than my previous AC20. A lot of people mentioned that the sound I was hearing with my AC20 was not normal, so I went with the C2 as a treat yourself gift and Iím glad that this one does not have a rattling noise. I canít even hear it if Iím not paying attention.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teskken View Post

I do plan to go back with a razor/x-acto knife and cut that black piece off like you mentioned, I donít have any thin wire. :<
Some people have had good luck with dental floss. Wrap a long piece around a pencil or pen at either end, then work it back and forth up the black part. I probably got impatient and put too much pressure on it, and it broke. That's when I tried the wire and it worked. But with patience the floss should work too.
teskken and teskken like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Glad the C2 worked out for you. Looking forward to more photos and watching this progress!
teskken and teskken like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I finally figured out how to get the multiquote function to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Funko View Post
Some people have had good luck with dental floss. Wrap a long piece around a pencil or pen at either end, then work it back and forth up the black part. I probably got impatient and put too much pressure on it, and it broke. That's when I tried the wire and it worked. But with patience the floss should work too.
I will definitely have to give that a shot the next time I do a water change! I have so many little containers of floss sitting around. I'm wondering if fishing line would work as well and might be easier than the floss since it would be a little bit tougher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Glad the C2 worked out for you. Looking forward to more photos and watching this progress!
mgeorges you're everywhere! Yes! I'm so glad that you helped me troubleshoot first. This one is a literal whisper, that other one was like a can of rocks just shaking around. LOL. I ordered a plant package yesterday, so we'll be having a fun little game of "Oh I wonder what this plant is and whether it'll grow tall back here." I'm pretty excited to be getting things set back up.

Even my cat likes to sit in front of the tank and watch.
mgeorges and mgeorges like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had some free time this morning, so I figured I would try and remove the plastic back mount that the stock Fluval Chi filter/light combo sits on. And, it turned out to be much easier than expected. At first I tried to cut through the silicone with a piece of floss, I really didnít see much progress. Ran to the garage, cut a big ole piece of fishing line and got the piece off in 15 seconds. I wrapped the ends around two different pairs of scissors so I could get as much tension as possible and just pulled the line back and forth in a upward pulling see saw motion. When the line cut through the silicone, the plastic bit just came right off.

One other thing I did was I took a double edged razor and scraped the black mounting silicon off. I made one quick pass that got the bulk of it off, and you can see itís the black oval looking piece above the razor. And I made several small passes to get the rest of the residue off.

I would definitely recommend anyone thinking of modding their Chi to do this. It definitely makes your HOB or light sit evenly, and itís very simple to do. If one of my friends asked me to do this for them, I would do it in a heart beat.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, I also wanted to share, I finally found a way for me to automate my lights on a set timeinterval.

Since Iím back in school, and I work, I still wanted a way for me to manage my lights on a set schedule that wouldnít affect my own personal routine. I couldnít afford fancy lights with a built in timer, especially for a project so small. So Instead, I went for an alternative solution on a little home automation plug in we had lying around from Christmas!

My mom ordered a Belkin WeMo Switch Smart Plug during Christmas last year because it was on sale but also because she was interested in home automation. Originally it was set up to turn off the Christmas tree lights at night time, but since then it has remained plugged in the wall without a function so I took it and put it use.

I have it plugged in, and my Finnex Fugeray Planted+ clip on is plugged in directly into the Belkin WeMo. From there, on my phone using the Kasa app, I have it programmed to turn on and off at certain times. I would suggest this for someone who already has home automation set up through Alexa or Siri because it also lets me turn on the lights from my bed if I just want to watch my tank.

Obviously, this does not give me any kind of dimmer functionality but I donít think thatís that huge a problem.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkullerclams View Post
That's a pretty tank. I like the colors. faboulas
Thank you!

Iím hoping I can get even more color out of it when my stem package arrives. C:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode