My 29 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 29 gallon planted tank

Since I inherited a 27 gallon hexagon from a friend last year I have been learning as I go with fish keeping. I originally got live plants because I read they help keep the water cleaner. However, I didn't realize I would enjoy the plants as much as the fish (I am also an outdoor gardener during the growing season). I soon had a second 10 gallon aquarium in which I was growing more plants, justifying it by keeping a Betta in it lol. I got tired of cleaning two tanks, though, and wanted to simplify, so I picked up a 29 gal from the Petco DPG sale.

I put down a layer of Eco Complete at the bottom and reused the lighter colored gravel from the hex tank because I prefer the look. Then I moved all the plants in. I have crypt spiralis, bacopa caroliniana, water wisteria, Brazilian pennywort, crypt parva, windelev Java fern on a mopani drift wood, anubias nana, and a marimo moss ball.

I reused the equipment from my old tank: Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 HOB filter, a Marineland heater, and another unidentified old heater that came with the hex tank. For lighting I have the original version of the Finnex 24/7 Planted+ and a Nicrew led. Both are only 20 inches long so at some point I will upgrade to an appropriate size. I had to use both lights to light the entire width of the tank. The Nicrew is on a timer for 8 hours, the Finnex is running on its 24/7 mode.

Then I filled the tank completely and moved the fish in from their temporary bucket home. I have two angels, the Betta, 6 zebra danios, and an unknown number of Endlers. Probably more than a dozen. Most are juveniles, however.

Overall I'm happy with the look. I really want to replace my lighting with the newest 24/7 but it will have to wait until I have the money.

Oh and I'm dosing with Excel daily since I have no desire to mess with CO2. Fourish twice per week. I'm excited to see my plants grow and fill in. They have mostly just existed except for the crypt spiralis which grows like gangbusters. I think with the eco complete substrate they will be a lot happier (the Flourish tabs I used to use in the inert substrate seemed hit or miss with them).

My only concern is whether the lighting is too much. Like I said, I don't want to use pressurized CO2, so if the light is too much I will have to back off.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1522167035108764548162_1522167061527.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	840961  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower

I wish I used a lighter colored substrate. Looks great.

- Zach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrace View Post
I wish I used a lighter colored substrate. Looks great.
Thanks! I had black sand in my 10 gallon and it showed every bit of mulm. Didn't want to deal with that again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode