First Planted Tank - 15g Column - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By astiesi
  • 2 Post By astiesi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank - 15g Column

After spending most of my childhood with freshwater fish and plastic plants, then 8 years keeping a very successful reef which I am now taking a break from, I've decided to try a small planted tank.

I found the perfect place for the footprint of the 15g column and picked it up this last weekend. Initially I started with the following:

- 15g column glass tank
- Aqueon Quietflow LED PRO
- Aqueon LED hood
- Aqueon preset aquarium heater 50 watt

Being from the reef world, I feel like a bunch of this will have to change to more advanced equipment but this will be a work in progress as I learn the intricacies of live plants. I've already ordered a K-nano as I don't care for the stagnation that results from such a high tank.

I'm using Eco-Complete for substrate. I picked up 6 different plants to start the tank.

- Amazon Sword
- Rotala
- Echinodorus paniculatus
- Ludwigia
- Ammannia Gracilis
- An Unidentified grass

There is currently a single Albino Cory which I rescued from the neglected 10 gallon. Planning on 2 more of these, a small school of neons. And perhaps a Betta. But want to ensure the water quality first so that will be in the future.

Not sure about CO2 at this point, going to see with lower light cycle times how things grow and go from there. As I said, work in progress.

So some pictures from day 1.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
irishspy and irishspy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

Cool. I've got a very similar tank that I'll eventually set up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Updated pics, can see a bit of growth. Also added a Koralia nano to the top for some water movement. Still cycling, may start to explore CO2 options.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's interesting: I was considering the smallest Koralia (a 240?) to give more flow to my planted 20-long, but I was afraid it would be too powerful for that size tank. Yours doesn't blow the plants and fish around?

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
That's interesting: I was considering the smallest Koralia (a 240?) to give more flow to my planted 20-long, but I was afraid it would be too powerful for that size tank. Yours doesn't blow the plants and fish around?
It took me a few tries to get it pointed in a direction that worked, but it has been working out well so far. I like flow in a tank, so I don't mind the plants swaying a bit. Plus, this is a very tall tank for its size so that helps. Perhaps I'll try to take a quick video tomorrow.

irishspy and irishspy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode