A shot at redemption, my planted 20 long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A shot at redemption, my planted 20 long

I started this aquarium about 13 months ago as a beginner to the hobby. After moving into an apartment where my landlord does not allow dogs or cats, fish seem like the ideal companions.

I started out not really having a plan. I basically went out to my LFS (That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA) and bought my tank, HOB filter, heater, substrate, ammonia, test kit, a piece of driftwood, and a couple rocks. I took it all home and began to cycle the tank. Fast forward 2 weeks later, I was ready for fish and plants.

I purchased some Zebra Longfin Danio, Neon Tetra, and Sterba Corys. Plant wise, I got an Amazon Sword, Anubias Congensis, some Crypt Wendtii, and Chilensis.

Six months went by, my tank was progressing nicely. I had a friend that had an aquarium set up that no longer wanted it. She was going to put her fish in a local creek, I was quick to offer a re-homing option for her. I acquired 2 giant Danio, a Leopard Danio, and a Zebra Danio.

This is the tank as it was set up, sans the Chilensis. It didn't last very long.

Fast forward to Christmas time, last year. My good friend who got me into the hobby gifted me a 25 gallon tank, and a very cool piece of wood that he found hiking.

I was excited about starting a new project, I wanted to do a dirted tank, and move all of my fish and plants to this setup once it was cycled. I decided on a canister filter for it, and went with an EHEIM Classic 350. Long story short, the entire idea was a failure. Dirted tanks require a lot of attention and planning. The floating debris became too much for me to handle. Lol. That thread is here.

Two months ago, I moved all of my plants back into my 20 long, and it basically sat for a couple weeks until I decided on what to do. I felt defeated and didn't really have the energy to mess with my tank. Finally one late night when I couldn't sleep. I decided I was going to move the big canister filter to the 20 long, and re-scape it using the new driftwood. I was up until about 5 AM making everything the way I wanted it, cleaning the tank, and setting up the new filter. I tested my water afterward, and everything was good.

The next day, I set out to That Fish Place for some more fish. I got 10 White Cloud Minnows (Always thought they were cool), and 5 Black Neon Tetra. I also ordered a Stem Plant Dutch Pack from Buceplant.com, as well as their UNS Plant Food fertilizer (Highly recommend).

I now leave you with this. I am mostly happy with it, I would have like to change the substrate over to a lighter colored gravel, but that is simply aesthetics. Thanks for reading.

Tank: 20 Gallon Long

Filter: Eheim 2215 (Classic 350)

Lighting: Basic LED light

Heater: Eheim Jager 50W

Substrate: Fluval Stratum & CaribSea Eco-Complete

Hardscape: Driftwood from a creek (Boiled for 15 minutes), (2) lava rocks

Livestock: (2) Giant Danios, (2) Zebra Danios, (11) White Cloud Minnows, (2) Black Neon Tetras, (4) Sterba Corys

Plants: Amazon Sword, Anubias Congensis & Nana, Crypt Lucens & Green Wendtii, Bacopa Monnieri, Ludwigia Arcuata, Ludwigia Natans Super Red, Ludwigia Peruensis, Rotala Indica Green

- Zach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added 10 RCS to aid in cleaning up diatom algae. In one night they cleaned up all of my Bacopa plants. I plan on adding some Nerite snails in the near future.

- Zach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank - RCS are some of my favorite shrimp - plus they can be profitable and fun to breed. Solid work on the project!

NaturalAquarist.com

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalAquarist View Post
Beautiful tank - RCS are some of my favorite shrimp - plus they can be profitable and fun to breed. Solid work on the project!
Thank you very much. They are all juvenile, hoping to watch them grow into healthy adults. Just within the last 2 days I have seen signs of molting.

I also forgot to mention that I planted 8 Dwarf Sag plants. Most of which had runners and new sprouts. I will take an updated photo tonight.

- Zach

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrace View Post
Thank you very much. They are all juvenile, hoping to watch them grow into healthy adults. Just within the last 2 days I have seen signs of molting.

I also forgot to mention that I planted 8 Dwarf Sag plants. Most of which had runners and new sprouts. I will take an updated photo tonight.
Looking forward to seeing it

NaturalAquarist.com

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode