The Oasis of Crystal [10g] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
The Oasis of Crystal [10g]

I am taking the 10g my bettas were living it and use it in my new project. Gotta clean off all the greenish-brown algae off the glass. Splurged all my holiday monies on stuffs for it!! Dang it, now I can not buy stuff for a long long while .

This is also first time using a substrate that supposedly lowers my pH. Hopefully not too much ammonia problem...

Anyways here is the plan, setting it up Monday at my residence before moving, hopefully the weather will be nice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This aquarium is dedicated to Crystal, my beloved Siberian Husky. I adopted her from the Longmont Humane Society in May 2008. There is two meanings to this tank; (1.) An oasis can mean a refuge or relief, I believe I have provided a safe haven for Crystal by adopting her. (2.) An oasis is a green fertile spot. There is only going to be low light plants concentrated in a certain area of the tank and the rest of it is going to be barren.

And as you can guess, Crystal can either mean Crystal my Siberian Husky, or Crystal Red/Black Shrimp. So two meanings, at least to me. Enjoy!

SPECIFICATIONS

Size:
10g Tank
Lighting:
18w T8 Under Cabinet Strip... yea yea...
Heater:
50w Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater
Filter:
AquaClear 30
Substrate:
Mr. Aqua Water Plants Activated Soil
CO2:
None, maybe Excel or DIY as necessary
Ferts:
Root Medic Root Tabs
Decorations:
Mopani Wood

FLORA

Anubias barteri var. nana 'Gold'
Anubias lanceolata
Anubias nana
Fissidens fontanus
Taxiphyllum alternans

FAUNA

Caridina cantonensis spp. 'Crystal Red'
Caridina cantonensis spp. 'Crystal Black'

Last edited by Eden Marel; 01-22-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quick pic... at home so I had to use my sister's camera...

More Anubias than I thought xD

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bad news, got home today and tested the water for ammonia, 2.0ppm on the API scale. Did a 90% water change, emergency dose of Prime, and double dosed bacteria supplements. Anubias are dying and melting... may be because they were grown emersed? Rhizomes are not buried in the substrate. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a definite answer if the substrate leeched ammonia or not so I took a costly risk. Got 13 CRS/CBS today, stayed alive for a couple hours... checked on them at 12am, all 13 were laying on the substrate dead. <insert curse words here>

Will give CRS/CBS another try in 1-2 months when the tank is properly cycled before trying something else...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Yeah, that soil leeches ammonia like a boss. Out of the 20+ anubias i've purchased, 5 of them died from unknown reasons...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
Yeah, that soil leeches ammonia like a boss. Out of the 20+ anubias i've purchased, 5 of them died from unknown reasons...
4 of my Anubias died too, well technically 3... the 4th one only a 1/2 inch of leafless rhizome is still firm. All the other ones... rhizomes and leaves turned into complete stinky rotten egg smelling mush as I pulled them out to give them a spray of H2O2 since fungus was growing on them. i guess the fungi were growing cuz they were rotten.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Current Tank Water Parameters---
pH: 6.4
Ammonia: 0.75ppm
Nitrite: 0.0ppm
Nitrate: ?.? (the color was a yellow, but not bright yellow like 0ppm but not orangey like 5.0ppm)
gH: 2 drops
kH: 0 drops

Tap Water Parameters---

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: Not Tested
Nitrite: Not Tested
Nitrate: Not Tested
gH: 0 drops
kH: 2 drops
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Anubias are dying and turning mushy... well silly me. I never could keep Anubias alive before so I have no clue why I even tried again, this is my $50 regret now pifffffffffff...

Current Tank Water Parameters---
Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
gH: 3 drops
kH: 0 drops
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I actually really liked the driftwood mound and elevated look...

Are the rhizomes firm still? The leaves might perish, the but rhizomes will stay and keep going.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
I actually really liked the driftwood mound and elevated look...

Are the rhizomes firm still? The leaves might perish, the but rhizomes will stay and keep going.
I might stick that wood back in. I switched it with the smaller one, but I too did like it, I just can't decide which one yet... maybe both will fit somehow...

I haven't pulled them yet, but maybe I'll go poke them with a stick now to see if they are still firm. Last week I pulled them all to treat the fungi with H2O2 and the worst ones were the grossest mushiest smelliest thing I have ever picked up with my bare hands.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I poked them all with a stick, and two of them felt soft so I pulled them and pinch them gently and sure enough they turned into a smelly mushy I swear this is my last time trying Anubias... or at least emersed grown plants. Everytime I buy emersed grown plants they turn into mushy leaving me nothing left to salvage to grow submerged.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
You may have too much light on em, not sure what ya got. But my anubias grows best hiding under wood/rocks out of direct light. I've never had trouble with them, even leaving them out of water for several days. Oh and I find that they do best if you get the ferts to a minimum as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GROW BABY GROW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
You may have too much light on em, not sure what ya got. But my anubias grows best hiding under wood/rocks out of direct light. I've never had trouble with them, even leaving them out of water for several days. Oh and I find that they do best if you get the ferts to a minimum as well.
Ahh okay... well I have around 1.8w of light. Im just dosing a little bit of ferts a little.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking

Hopefully your anubias make it, just don't throw away those 1 inch rhizome stumps. If they're still firm, keep them 'till you know they're rotten.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...k/CIMG0009.jpg
The one of the right lost all it's leaves and stayed like that for months. Tied it to a rock, 4 months later, it's going good and strong. The one of the left I salvaged from my local pet shop. The employee thought it was dead; sad to admit I picked it up from the trash 2 months later (now) you can see that it is growing teeny-tiny leaves Hopefully by summer it has leaves as large as dimes. Both are anubias nana, one on the left is 1.25inch long.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Hopefully your anubias make it, just don't throw away those 1 inch rhizome stumps. If they're still firm, keep them 'till you know they're rotten.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...k/CIMG0009.jpg
The one of the right lost all it's leaves and stayed like that for months. Tied it to a rock, 4 months later, it's going good and strong. The one of the left I salvaged from my local pet shop. The employee thought it was dead; sad to admit I picked it up from the trash 2 months later (now) you can see that it is growing teeny-tiny leaves Hopefully by summer it has leaves as large as dimes. Both are anubias nana, one on the left is 1.25inch long.
Don't think they are gonna make it. The leaves are definitely falling off, and everyday the Rhizome gets a little bit mushier or fungusier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
Today's water parameters--- may not be accurate cuz I just added some fresh tap water (dechlored with Prime) to top off the tank and I did the test soon after that...

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: I can't tell whether it is 5.0ppm or 10.0ppm or somewhere in between.
gH: 4
kH: 0
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, kinda dark. Just kinda temporary look while I sort things out and salvage trimmings.

Tags
10 gallon, 10g, low light, low tech, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode