I have been lurking on the site for a while now and am marveled by all these wonderful tanks and decided to start a journal to fuel the motivation for my own tank
I don't really know how this journal stuff works so i am just gunna give it a go.
My tank is a 55 gallon that has been up for five years now and only in the last year or so have i started to become obsessed with planted tanks.
Since then I have learned so much, more information than i thought was possible for a fish tank.
- 5lb co2 tank, aquatek regulator, co2 is injected through a 250 gph powerhead. PH drop of 1.3-1.4 points (7.2-5.8). Co2 starts at 1 and turns off at 9pm.
- 6 ghetto desk lamps with 1500 lumens per bulb, on for eight hours. Lights come on at 4pm and go off at 10pm.
- Just sand, i am looking to switch to Black diamond blasting sand because of how amazing it looks in other members tanks.
- Fluval 406, i have two additional power-heads, one sun-sun 500gph and one 180gph aquatop for surface agitation.
- 6x Rainbowfish, 3x anglelfish, 8x rummynose tetras, 5x cory catfish, 3x otto catfish and 3x electric german blue rams.
- limnophila aromatica, monte carlo, pogo erectus, ludwigia mini red and rubin, AR mini, bacopa carolina and colorata, red stem myriophyllum, mermaid weed, lobelia cardinalis,
Hydrocotyle tripartita, some barely hanging on ammannia gracilis, an unknown species of plant on the far left and green cabomba
- I am using RO-DI water and reconstitute it to a KH of 2 and add 30ppm of CA and 15ppm of MG to 25 gallons for my 50% weekly water changes.
- I am currently dosing EI macros with 1/2 of EI micros and I am planning to lower micros gradually until my fussing plants are happy. The AR mini and ammannia have shown
improvement since i started lowering micros.
Plants I want to add
- pogostemon helferi, limnophila indica and cabomba furcata.
- Find a better lighting solution. Order a inline diffuser or make a reactor. Create a scape for the tank and switch to BDBS.
- Cyanobacteria covering the monte carlo
, hair algae on ludwigia red mini and lobelia cardinalis, poor ammania gracilis growth and twisted AR mini leaves.
additional info - I have two other tanks besides this one, a 40 breeder and a nano saltwater aquarium.
PLEASE if you have any criticisms or suggestions feel free to share them or any helpful information. I would appreciate any feedback!
I will post a picture of the tank in its current state, nothing impressive however, it has come a long way. I still need to create a scape but for the time being i am trying to get everything to grow well. I will also try to post a picture of the previous scapes and plants the tank has had in the past.