150 Gallon Re-Scape Overhaul - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Good luck with your new discus!
I have a pair of Alenquer F1's myself from Uncle Sam's. They are very healthy and robust.
I can post a couple pictures of them if you like.
They have spawned several times, but the spawns, while fertile, have not made it because need to do some adjusting of water (lowering of my TDS). The eggs calcify prior to hatch.
Right now they are in a 60 gallon cube with a couple of Stendker Tefes and hope to transfer them soon to a breeder to adjust TDS to get a viable spawn.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Is the tank still at 81*? That's how some of my emersed plants looked when I left them in direct light and they got hot. How fast did it happen? Over a course of a day or two or weeks?
Have you posted pics of the new discus?
I haven't seen any issues with plants in my Ram tank that's kept at 84*. Your tank is looking really good!
Yes, the tank is still at 81F. This happened in the span of the last 3-5 days, I've been working and going to school a lot so I didn't really pay much attention over the weekend. The frog bit had spread considerably in the last week or so and really covered a large portion of the surface, along with the cabomba. Today, I trimmed off the damaged leaves, did a 20% water change, fertilized with GLA ferts, added a couple osmocote tabs to the base of the queen marble sword and the St. elmo's, trimmed down the purple cabomba, and finally added a dose of excel.
I haven't posted any pics of the new discus yet. They're still rather shy so I'll see if I can get a decent pic tomorrow.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Good luck with your new discus!
I have a pair of Alenquer F1's myself from Uncle Sam's. They are very healthy and robust.
I can post a couple pictures of them if you like.
They have spawned several times, but the spawns, while fertile, have not made it because need to do some adjusting of water (lowering of my TDS). The eggs calcify prior to hatch.
Right now they are in a 60 gallon cube with a couple of Stendker Tefes and hope to transfer them soon to a breeder to adjust TDS to get a viable spawn.
I'd love to see pictures, that way I'll have an even better idea of what I have to look forward to! I've had a couple of blue pigeon bloods in the past that would breed in my 150, but my tap water is relatively hard as well and the eggs calcified on the filter intake tube. I'v yet to dedicate the resources to try and do anything about it.
Discusluv and Discusluv like this.
post #93 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is the female:

The Male

The Alenquer pair and the Tefes:

Bump: Oh! This one too- spawning!

Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful tank. Quick question about your lights--did you have any trouble getting the mount to fit over the tank rim? My tank is only a 75g but the thicker rim (compared to something like a 20g) has caused some headaches getting filters and stuff to fit. Would love to go the Kessil route, but need a tank mount as ceiling isn't an option.
post #95 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenjmayer View Post
Beautiful tank. Quick question about your lights--did you have any trouble getting the mount to fit over the tank rim? My tank is only a 75g but the thicker rim (compared to something like a 20g) has caused some headaches getting filters and stuff to fit. Would love to go the Kessil route, but need a tank mount as ceiling isn't an option.
The mounts have no problem fitting. They come with a piece of block plastic that can be taken out to adapt to various rim widths. They would work on rimless or standards like mine with no after market modifications.
owenjmayer and owenjmayer like this.
post #96 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just some pics of the discus in their grow out tank, coming out to eat. Not the greatest pics, but they’re still a bit skittish.

Last edited by Sub-Mariner; 12-09-2019 at 11:39 PM.
post #97 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've still been having trouble with my sword plants. The marble queen and st. elmos growth had slowed, and the present leaves had also started to deteriorate. I decided to remove them from the tank to trim them and attempt to figure out the problem. I was surprised to find root systems that were mostly rotted, with a few new healthy growths of roots. So, I trimmed them, cut off the rotting roots, trimmed the healthy roots to promote growth, and replanted. I placed two osmocote tabs at the base of each plant. I'm hoping this solves the issue. My theory is that shipping these plants left the roots without enough moisture for long enough that they died, and the plant started growing a new system. Time will tell if I am correct.
The Dude1 likes this.
post #98 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bet you're right. Swords are pretty resilient. They can take alot and bounce back. Trim off the rotted stuff and give them good light and some root ferts and they'll likely recover.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #99 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This post is about 5 months overdue, but as I mentioned before, graduate school tends to get in the way. In my time away from the forum, the plants here ave progressed quite a bit, as you can see below. In summation, I’ve gone through several different types of swords to see what I like, and that’s still a work in progress. The Java Fern has filled in nicely. I’ve added frog bit and duckweed as well. You may also notice the crypt lutea. I’m considering adding some intriguing “pink flamingo” crypt I discovered online to add a bit of contrast.
As for stocking, I’ve added some of the discus I was growing out. Unfortunately they aren’t very photogenic at the moment. I haven’t had too much issue with them, but I did lose 3 of the 4 ring leopard spot to what I’m reasonably sure was just high stress. The 4th surviving simply isn’t growing well. The others have done admirably and are 4-5” now.
Finally, I removed the purple cabomba. I just couldn’t get it to be as full and purple as I’d like, and it kept breaking off and just looked raggedy (very technical term). I’m still considering if I might add something taller to the back right corner.
Greggz, chayos00 and Discusluv like this.

Last edited by Sub-Mariner; 12-09-2019 at 11:39 PM.
post #100 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Planted Member

Just read through your whole journal. The tank looks great. That's an amazing piece of wood and I love how it looks with the plants. It makes me happy to see someone with Discus in a planted tank. I've wanted Discus since the first time I saw them, but I just can't do a bare bottom tank. I have been planning on doing the same thing as you and raising them in a spare tank and moving them over when they have grown. Glad to see someone successful at it. Looking forward to updates.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode