150 Gallon Re-Scape Overhaul - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
My first high tech tank had a spraybar along the bottom too. Then I got a custom reef tank (used) that had been drilled a few inches from the bottom, so those became spraybars too. The first tank was the return outlet. The CO2 was feeding directly into the pump (had a sump) and the only reason I got bubbles was because it wasn't turned upward enough. The second tank was purely a CO2 outlet. Both worked out really well. I think you'll be pleased with your change.

$12-18 sounds pretty reasonable for sidthimunki. I haven't seen them for less than $12 anywhere.

Why are they so expensive by you?

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Shipping.
post #78 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where did the Discus go? Did you rehome them or are they in a holding tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #79 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Discus are currently in a 56g in another room. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep these or get some new ones to grow out yet.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Last edited by Sub-Mariner; 12-09-2019 at 11:39 PM.
post #80 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Put about 50 RCS in the tank yesterday after testing parameters. Not a single issue thus far.

Parameters as follows with CO2 at about 4 bps:

pH: 6.4-6.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-40 ppm
GH: 12 drops (140-200ppm)
KH: 6 drops (50-100ppm)

So the GH and KH are questionable because the scales in the kit aren't mutually exclusive. Also, I have a hard time deciphering the shades of red for the nitrate test, but either way they aren't high enough currently to be an issue. This is the same tap water that I've kept my previous discus in, so I don't expect to have to change anything.
As for discus, been eyeing a few from Discus Hans or Uncle Sam's Discus. Never bought from either but read plenty about their stellar reputations.
post #81 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Mariner View Post
Discus are currently in a 56g in another room. Havenít decided if Iíll keep these or get some new ones to grow out yet.
They are animals. Id keep them and give them quality care.

post #82 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post

They are animals. Id keep them and give them quality care.
Obviously, I'm aware they are animals or they would have perished 3 years ago when I originally purchased them. When I say get rid of them, I mean re-home them to somewhere I know they will be appreciated.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #83 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Obviously, I'm aware they are animals or they would have perished 3 years ago when I originally purchased them. When I say get rid of them, I mean re-home them to somewhere I know they will be appreciated.
You wont have ANY problem finding a good home for healthy discus even if they are less than perfectly formed. Lots of people would be MORE than happy to take those off your hands and provide them with excellent care.
When I feel I am close enough to being able to learn and care for Discus I would like to get older perhaps less than perfect discus to raise and care for.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #84 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well boys and girls, I accidentally discovered the 25% off sale that Uncle Sam's was having today, and not wanting to miss a great opportunity to save some serious cash and get awesome discus, I ordered 10. I purchased the Fire Ruby Ring Leopard 2.5" (4), Alenquer F1 3-3.5" (3), and Blue Diamond 3-3.5" (3) strains.

To prepare for their delivery, I'm going to move my original discus into the re-scape (still haven't decided on them) and use the 56 gallon as the grow out tank. Also going to start gathering foodstuffs- california black worms and some high protein flake, along with some beeefheart. Also, I'll be preparing for the feeding and water change grind that is discus growing.

Still planning on adding some cardinal tetras to the tank, and perhaps some Amano shrimp (again, still not sure about the shrimp).
post #85 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just finished reading your whole blog. Can't wait to see how your setup progresses. I keep eyeing discus, but don't like the idea of having to keep the hotter temps as I already have a higher cooling cost for my home living in AZ, don't want the tank fighting the 75įF air temps and then the 82įF+? temps discus need. Really wish I had gotten in on the solar deals before when it was a 1:1 credit use deal, but now it's half the credit it used to be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #86 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Chayos00, it’s unfortunate you have such a temperature battle to fight. It gets hot here in Dallas as well but it doesn’t endure as long, nor is it quite up to the 110-120 degrees (usually) that are common in Arizona. Meanwhile, the solar craze is starting up here, but I don’t know if there’s enough infrastructure here yet to incentivize converting financially for most. But I digress...
Here are some up to date growth pictures. I put in a few Cardinal Tetras after raising the tank temp to 81. I will be adding more, and my discus should arrive tomorrow for the grow out tank. I also added some giant frogbit to the tank surface.
Greggz, Greggz, chayos00 and 3 others like this.

post #87 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Chayos00, itís unfortunate you have such a temperature battle to fight. It gets hot here in Dallas as well but it doesnít endure as long, nor is it quite up to the 110-120 degrees (usually) that are common in Arizona. Meanwhile, the solar craze is starting up here, but I donít know if thereís enough infrastructure here yet to incentivize converting financially for most. But I digress...
Here are some up to date growth pictures. I put in a few Cardinal Tetras after raising the tank temp to 81. I will be adding more, and my discus should arrive tomorrow for the grow out tank. I also added some giant frogbit to the tank surface.
Yeah AZ does suck on that aspect, that in March we were already 90+ LOL which will last all the way through October November.

By the way I love Cardinals! Can't wait for mine to get old enough to start breeding, I want to fill my tank with at least 50 or more! LOL

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #88 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All ten discus arrived healthy today, so far no issues! I ultimately decided to keep 3 of my original discus, and I re-homed the other 4 to the personal collection of an LFS owner here in Dallas. Managed to get some store credit out of the deal even though he won’t be re-selling them. Only things left to do with the tank are to put in a few more cardinals, sidthumunki, and amano. If everything goes according to plan the Discus should be grown out in the next 8-12 months.
Greggz, Greggz, chayos00 and 5 others like this.
post #89 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Summer semester started last week, so a bit behind on updates:

1. Tried frogbit in the tank. It quickly got out of hand so I removed it. It’s just too much work to keep under control, and I believe it was contributing to my swords doing what ive got pictured below.
2. Added 8 sidthumunki loaches for a grand total of 11. I think that’ll do.
3. I opted not to buy Amano shrimp. The three discus currently in the tank are making quick work of the test cherries, so I didn’t want to waste the money. Instead, I bought two panda garras. Not as efficient but I like them and their semi-unique.
4. I am still currently trying to find cardinal tetras. None of the LFS currently have them and I haven’t had a lot of success having them shipped in the past. So I’ll wait.
5. My marble amazon suddenly started doing what I pictured below. I think it was because of the frogbit blocking out too much light but I wonder if there’s a nutrient deficiency. Anyone have any input here?

post #90 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Is the tank still at 81*? That's how some of my emersed plants looked when I left them in direct light and they got hot. How fast did it happen? Over a course of a day or two or weeks?
Have you posted pics of the new discus?
I haven't seen any issues with plants in my Ram tank that's kept at 84*. Your tank is looking really good!

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode