150 Gallon Re-Scape Overhaul - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Mariner View Post
2. Despite my having been successful sinking my driftwood in a bathtub, it floats now. This is baffling. One might say inexplicable. Thoughts anyone? Barring any miracle cures, I'll be delayed indefinitely until this thing sinks. I can't glue my java fern until it sinks. Booooooo.
Here's what I do.

Go get a piece of slate tile from the hardware store. Drill a small hole in it, then screw it to the bottom of the driftwood.

Shimmy the slate under the substrate.

Months later you can remove it.
Nikolyator likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Here's what I do.

Go get a piece of slate tile from the hardware store. Drill a small hole in it, then screw it to the bottom of the driftwood.

Shimmy the slate under the substrate.

Months later you can remove it.

Is there a specific type of drill bit I need to do this? I've got a couple pieces of tile left over from when my house was built I could use, but I've tried to drill through it before with this exact purpose in mind and I barely made a scratch. Either it isn't made of slate like I thought or I need a different tool, I suppose.
post #48 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Is there a specific type of drill bit I need to do this? I've got a couple pieces of tile left over from when my house was built I could use, but I've tried to drill through it before with this exact purpose in mind and I barely made a scratch. Either it isn't made of slate like I thought or I need a different tool, I suppose.
Carbide tipped bit will do the trick.

---
---

post #49 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I bought the tile and the drill bit. Screwed it to the bottom. The wood still floats. I tried two pieces of tile. Still floats. So, currently, the wood is weighted down by a plethora of river rocks. It's about 3/4 submerged and I'll just continue to work around it for now. As time passes, I'll slowly raise the water level, and then remove a rock at a time.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #50 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Good luck with the driftwood. You probably do not want to hear this but I had a larger piece of driftwood that still floated like a cork after 18 months under water. You may want to drill some holes into it as well to help it get waterlogged.

Tank Journal -
post #51 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So I bought the tile and the drill bit. Screwed it to the bottom. The wood still floats. I tried two pieces of tile. Still floats. So, currently, the wood is weighted down by a plethora of river rocks. It's about 3/4 submerged and I'll just continue to work around it for now. As time passes, I'll slowly raise the water level, and then remove a rock at a time.
Did you shimmy the tiles under the substrate??

If so, my that is some buoyant wood you have there.

---
---
post #52 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, the sand isn't heavy enough to hold it down. I might drill some holes in the bottom of it. Or maybe find a nice piece of flat landscaping stone to attach, see if it holds.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #53 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 AM
Planted Member

i'd try as many of the heaviest tiles you can find that will fit in the substrate line. Drill them all on there, scoop out a hole in the susbtrate, put in the wood, dump rocks on top of the tiles, then put the sand back on.

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.
post #54 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If all else fails, or looks ugly, try a nice thick piece of slate.
post #55 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

BEHOLD!

Ok so this was a frustrating experience. I finally found a 2’x1’x2.5’’piece of concrete block and screwed it in to the bottom of the wood with two 6” hex bolt screws. I buried the thing in the substrate and found that the first time around, I didn’t have enough sand to make everything flush. So I had to use shorter hex screws. Now I’ve repeated the process and you see it as it is. I’m hoping over time it settles down onto the sand more.
Otherwise, I set up the lights! They’re on the lowest setting in the pic. Next on the docket, I’ll be draining the tank once more to get rid of all the crap on the substrate and then gluing my java fern. I’m thinking I need to do something around the base of the wood to help hide how unnatural the way it’s sitting looks. But I can’t really plant anything substantial because the block is just under the surface. Hmmm.
Heater controller seems to be working, and I’ll need to address my filter media soon. It’s coming together...

Last edited by Sub-Mariner; 12-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #56 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Glad you are able to keep it in position. Maybe some rocks around the edge of it will make it appear more "natural".

Tank Journal -
post #57 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
BEHOLD!

Ok so this was a frustrating experience. I finally found a 2íx1íx2.5íípiece of concrete block and screwed it in to the bottom of the wood with two 6Ē hex bolt screws. I buried the thing in the substrate and found that the first time around, I didnít have enough sand to make everything flush. So I had to use shorter hex screws. Now Iíve repeated the process and you see it as it is. Iím hoping over time it settles down onto the sand more.

Otherwise, I set up the lights! Theyíre on the lowest setting in the pic. Next on the docket, Iíll be draining the tank once more to get rid of all the crap on the substrate and then gluing my java fern. Iím thinking I need to do something around the base of the wood to help hide how unnatural the way itís sitting looks. But I canít really plant anything substantial because the block is just under the surface. Hmmm.

Heater controller seems to be working, and Iíll need to address my filter media soon. Itís coming together...
Congrats!!! Could you give us a front-angle FTS? Next question, do you want the wood smack dab in the middle of the tank or are you open to re-placement suggestions?

I'm with sdwindandsea, some rocks would help make the wood feel like it was placed there by nature. Buuuuut, don't just put a circle of rock around the wood, that would look unnatural. Check out the build videos of the aquadesignamano channel on YouTube. They should help with figuring out rock placement. If you want to get really cool, add some anubias to the rock.
sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.
post #58 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Congrats!!! Could you give us a front-angle FTS? Next question, do you want the wood smack dab in the middle of the tank or are you open to re-placement suggestions?

I'm with sdwindandsea, some rocks would help make the wood feel like it was placed there by nature. Buuuuut, don't just put a circle of rock around the wood, that would look unnatural. Check out the build videos of the aquadesignamano channel on YouTube. They should help with figuring out rock placement. If you want to get really cool, add some anubias to the rock.
Or if you want to get really REALLY cool add some bucephelandra onto the rocks!
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #59 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok. Lots got done today:
1. Drained the tank (again) and glued on some java fern to the wood. Also vacuumed out a lot of stuff from the sand.
2. Placed my swords. They’re not looking too good at the moment because they just spent two weeks floating in a bathtub, but I think they’ll bounce back. Once they do, I’ll decide if I need to re-arrange and then fertilize.
3. Placed some rocks as suggested. I will put some plants on them, I think, but I ran out of java and I might like the buce idea. We’ll see.
4. Started the CO2 through my reactor. Still getting a few bubbles but the instructions that came with say to adjust a little at a time when first starting. So that’s in progress.
5. Took down the hanging brackets from the previous light.

Next, I’ll be filling my 20lb. CO2 tank this week before the current 10lb. runs out. I’m still thinking I’ll add some red/purple cabomba as well. Going to check the LFS for that before I just order it. Then, I’ll make a few tweaks to my filter media. After that, it’s just cycling before I add some Amano shrimp.
Also, I provided several pics. Unfortunately the window across from the tank causes wicked glare so it’s hard to get good FTS.
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

Last edited by Sub-Mariner; 12-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #60 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I finally found a 2íx1íx2.5íípiece of concrete block and screwed it in to the bottom of the wood with two 6Ē hex bolt screws.
Did you test that concrete with vinegar before placing it in your tank? Not all concrete is created equal. Some compositions are not really safe to use in our tanks. They can leech minerals and other unknown chemicals for quite a while. I would keep a close eye on parameters over the next few weeks.

Sorry if I rained on your parade. Something to think about, though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode