Vanish's Low Tech 90g Angel Tank ( and bonus fry tank ) - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Vanish's Low Tech 90g Angel Tank ( and bonus fry tank )

( I apologize for subjecting you to these terrible photos. I'm having technical problems recently, and I really wanted to get this journal FINALLY started. )

Tank: 90 Gallon Craigslist Special
Stand: Metal dual tank stand
Filter: Sunsun 304B Canister with Polyfill and Lava Rock
Lighting: 48" Current Satellite Plus ( with several dead diodes ) and two hidden submersible LED bars (for blue accent)
Background: White poster board
Substrate: Black Diamond blasting sand
Hardscape: Cholla wood
Shower Caddies as Riparium Planters

Plants

Regular Java Fern
Philippine Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Windelov Java Fern
Hygrophila Polysperma
Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia
A few random Anubias

Emmersed Plants

Diffenbachia
Peace Lily
Aluminum Plant
Pothos
Philodendron
Anthurium

Fauna

3 pairs of Angelfish - 4 "normal", 1 marble, 1 koi ... all but one are "veil"
Too many Malaysian Trumpet Snails

I occasionally dump a cap full of Flourish Comprehensive in there after a water change, but there is no regular fert dosing regimen, and no co2 source. Recently, I've been doing ~50% weekly water changes on all my tanks, but the tank did quite well with a far less scheduled WC cycle, with mostly top offs last year.

Not sure how I feel about the white background. I have the blue lights on most of the time to give a sky effect, and I like that better. Still, the shower caddies don't blend in at all with the white, and I think the whole thing would look better with a black background, but I have two tanks with dark backgrounds, so I wanted to try something different. Perhaps the white background would look better with white sand.

The large negative space on the side was intended to be for fish watching, but they mostly spend their time by the wood. If I come across some Vals, I may try those in the background.

I don't have any lights on the emmersed plants. They'd grow a lot better if I did. I'd remove them altogether but they do break up the "big object" syndrome, so they stay. I may try to convince DW to allow me to install some can lights in the ceiling above, as they could be useful even without the aquarium.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We converted this tank to the angels about 16 months ago. The angels are Petsmart specials. We originally started with 7 quarter sized fish, hoping to get two pairs. We lost one of them, but got too lucky and wound up with three pairs. For petsmart fish, we got lucky as they are gorgeous fish with long flowing fins. I'll try to get some decent photos of them at some point.

They started laying eggs as soon as they hit maturity. We've had fry in the tank several times, but they never last more than a week. Recently, we set up a fry tank to try our hand at raising fry for the first time. After several mistakes, we wound up with three surviving fry from the first batch of eggs. They're about 5 weeks old now and just starting to show their angelfish shape.

A couple days ago, I pulled another wiggler covered leaf out of the main tank and put it in the fry tank. It looks like we're going to be too successful this time, as there are probably 60 or more little guys rolling around in there now. We're feeding using a "Tom Continuous Hatch 'N Feeder Brine Shrimp Corral" and while it seems like we could potentially get a little better hatch rate doing it the bottle style, I have to say this is super easy. I just put a scoop of eggs in, in the evening on Day 0 and Day 1. Day 3 I continue to left the remainders hatch, clean it in the evening and put in some fresh eggs salt. Constant food supply and I can even set it up so they keep hatching over a weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by vanish; 03-19-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Forgot the fish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love your tank even without the angels which I especially love. Congrats on your spawning success. Do you know which of your angels are responsible for your latest spawn? You may be able to get a better idea of the parents' genotypes if your wiggler success yields enough fry raised to where you can determine their type. Oh, and one last question, what kind of music have you found to be best at inducing spawning? Thanks and Cheers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post
Do you know which of your angels are responsible for your latest spawn?
These two, both for the three fry I have and the latest batch. The pair of standard veils recently laid eggs, but did not succeed.

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

|
|

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Will you be splitting off your regulator to run C02 in this tank? Its a nice start. You are very lucky to have 3 pairs in one tank. I was only able to maintain one pair in my 75 gallon each of the 3 times I tried.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Will you be splitting off your regulator to run C02 in this tank? Its a nice start. You are very lucky to have 3 pairs in one tank. I was only able to maintain one pair in my 75 gallon each of the 3 times I tried.
Not any time in the short term. I figured I need to learn how to run a co2 system well on one tank first.

|
|
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, the three ~3/4" long angel fry started trying to eat the newborn fry, so DW made me move them to the 75g. I'll be curious to see how they do in there. There are at least 80 newborn fry in here that are just starting to swim, so hopefully we can do better than three this time around.

|
|
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Veil pair is feeling their oats after today's water change.

|
|
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ha, that didn't take long.

|
|
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fry have figured out where their food comes from. BBS don't even make it into the tank proper.

Nlewis and Nlewis like this.

|
|
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The batch of veils is almost free swimming. I'll probably be moving them to the fry tank tomorrow.

I found a downside to the in-tank BBS factory - the smarter fish eat most of the BBS, as they're the ones that sit and wait for them to pop out. They're twice the size of some of the other fry already.

|
|
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been raising the batch of veils in a 2 quart jar inside the 10 gallon. Made a "pop bottle" BBS hatchery that is also in the 10 gallon to keep it heated and not require yet another light. Its really looking like a frankentank with 4 air lines running everything. I think tomorrow I'm going to set up my last tank as a grow out for the largest angels, and wean them off BBS. This will let me combine batch 3 with the smallest fry from batch 2, those that have been outcompeted by the larger fry.

Oh, and it will free up the jar for batch 4, which is being laid right now. I'll move them in about 5 days. I really have no business trying to raise all these fish, but its fun.

|
|
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There's no question it's enjoyable, but do you have any idea where you will keep the new fish? You've already been way more successful than I was. Of 8 gorgeous Blue Pinoy I was only able to keep a single pair in my 75. My old 46 gallon was only large enough to house my single Dantum angel. He / she would never accept another angel in there. I wonder how long it would take all those fey to outgrow a 20 long?

Twin high tech 75's -
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was able to move the second batch of fry into a "real" tank after finding this one at the thrift store last night for $2.

I decided to let the latest batches of fry fend for themselves in the 90g, ie, get eaten. Two batches is probably already more than I'll be able to handle in a month from now.

|
|
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As the fish have grown, I found a spot to slip to 10g next to the 90, and brought up a 20 high. The 2.5 has been decommissioned for the time being. 24 larger angels are in the 20, and the rest are in the 10g. The fish in the 20g no longer regularly get BBS but instead are fed "normal" foods like chopped brine shrimp, blood worms and homemade repashy.

Nlewis, Nlewis, The Dude1 and 3 others like this.

|
|
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is so cool. They look fantastic. How many fry do you think you have now?

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode