River Flows - 5ft Bookshelf Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
River Flows - 5ft Bookshelf Tank

Hi guys, I have been planning this tank for some time now and thought I would chuck up a journal on ThePlantedTank.net, any advice would be great, this is a new style for me, more about the environment for the fish and less about the aquascape, still awhile to go before the tank is wet but here is where I am at:

Tank - Fire Aqua 5ft Bookshelf aquarium 150x21x25cm (20 Gal)
Filter - Astro 2212 (1360 lph)
Wavemaker - Jebao sw4 (controlable up to 4000lph)
Heater - none
Co2 - via Qanvee M2 Inline Atomizer
Light - 5ft Make My LED AU custom 8000k/4000k 3w LEDs
Hardscape - Smooth River Stones
Substrate - La Plata sand / La Plata Big
Plants - Low light Anubias, Buce and Ferns

Stocking - Flow loving fish, hillstream loaches and danios, perhaps rifle shrimp.

Here is the tank in place, hopefully start on the hardscape next weekend:

Here is the plan for the hardscape, I want to keep it simple, easy to maintain and the flow super high. Plants will be dotted around the river stones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can't wait to see more pics, looks awesome!

post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looking great so far, I've always wanted to setup a long tank and have a river theme. Good work

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

I love the look of that tank. Excited to see how she comes out.

Vin
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys, still working out the filter setup and how to run pipes etc, bit of a pain as I am not using a cabinet and cant run the pipe under the tank, has to go around the back, but I also have the power back there so I want to make sure everything is safe and easy enough to clean the pipes when I want to. Have ordered some parts and hopefully pay around with the hardscape this weekend, perhaps it will be wet in a few weeks time
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.

post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Algae Grower

Have you considered bending your own polycarbonate pipes? Its actually not that hard and you can get them clear. Should easily be able to make a custom bend to go up the side of the table, run parallel to the table then up and into your tank. Slide some tubing over the end and hose clamp it and you are good to go. I believe they sell caps for the tubes also you can use on the return side and just pop it off and slide the slinky brush down your tube.

Vin
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional View Post
Have you considered bending your own polycarbonate pipes? Its actually not that hard and you can get them clear. Should easily be able to make a custom bend to go up the side of the table, run parallel to the table then up and into your tank. Slide some tubing over the end and hose clamp it and you are good to go. I believe they sell caps for the tubes also you can use on the return side and just pop it off and slide the slinky brush down your tube.
Could be an option down the road, I am looking into just using reticulation pipe or the ribbed fluval hose and its easy to bend and run where I need it to run.

I have never seen anyone use polycarbonate pipes, do you have any links?

post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

River Flows - 5ft Bookshelf Tank

Love this form factor I wanted to try an ADA 120-F (if I could afford it lol) but they aren't made anymore unfortunately!

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Algae Grower

I cant find the link I had found but they were bending it for use in custom automotive stuff. If I come across it again I'll post it up.

Basically:

-Get clear polycarb tube with known dimensions
-Get thick walled rubber hose whos OD just slides into the polycarb tube
-Use heat strip gun to heat the tube (move along tube, do not keep in one spot)
-Heating to the correct heat is practice, you want it soft but just soft enough to bend, too cold and the polycarb will turn white, too hot and you will get bubbles.
-Once desired form is had remove heat and hold until it hardens (few seconds)
-pull rubber tube out

This basically gives you smooth bends with no kinks. You can do the same by capping and packing the tube with sand but it gives iffy finishes on the inside once removed. Would work good on black or colored pipe though.
Blacktetra likes this.

Vin
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Algae Grower

i subscribed to this thread to see some pictures - SO POST SOME MORE!!!
post #11 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love it!! fallowing for sure.
post #12 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got the plumbing sorted, had to cut the Stainless pipes to size to fit the shallow tank. No leaks! Hard to say how much flow / how directional the flow is, I dropped a few grains of food in and they didnt exactly go flying down the other end, sort of tumbled around, im sure hardscape will change the flow in the tank.

I think the ground / stand is not level, there is about 1cm drop in water from left to right, is there anyways to fix this? Add shims or something under the tank stand on the right side?

Here is a photo after i filled to test for leaks etc.

Quagulator and Quagulator like this.

post #13 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, you'll definitely want to shim it. Add as many small shims as you can around under the stand to make sure weight is well distributed.

|
|
post #14 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Yeah, you'll definitely want to shim it. Add as many small shims as you can around under the stand to make sure weight is well distributed.
Actually think its the wave maker and filter pulling down the water at that end, will do some testing today.

post #15 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok so the stand / floor is not level, havent figured out if its the stand or just floor sloping. There is about a 1cm water level difference right to left with filter/wave maker turned off. Will have a think about what I can do, none of the tanks in my house are level so this isnt anything new :P

Took is a iphone video before I drained the tank.

k2focus and k2focus like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode