6Likes
  • 6 Post By madcrafted
  • 2 Post By madcrafted
  • 4 Post By madcrafted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
madcrafted's nano forest scape (2.6 gallon)

The idea here was to create a minimalist forest scape with some mosses to house a few shrimp. It was quite a challenge in such a small tank to say the least... a learning experience for sure. Although it's not 100% complete, I'm happy with how it turned out so far. I ran out of straight sticks that were tall enough to reach the water line at the back of the tank, so I'll most likely grab some more spiderwood the next time I'm at the LFS. There's still some things I need to figure out like filtration and heat. I'll most likely need to build a diy filter for this little tank but I'm open to suggestions. I'll just do water changes often until then (not like draining a gallon of water is difficult). A small powerhead may suffice, just to circulate water and add surface agitation. As for a heater, I don't trust a majority of those small heaters enough not to cook my shrimp, so I might just do without one if I can't find a reliable one. They prefer cooler waters anyways.

Well, that's about it. There's really not enough going on with this tank to get in detail about. It's just a simple little nano/micro/pico/whatever tank.

Ingredient list:

Aquamax 2.6 gallon rimless
Inexpensive clip-on LED
Filter (yet to be determined)
Heater (none)
Ohko stone
Spiderwood
Fluval Stratum substrate
Montmorillonite Clay (pathway)
Fissdens Nobilis
Fissidens Fontanus
Mini Pellia

Here's how I kept the driftwood from floating. I made an insert that dropped right in. Wood was secured with zipties and hot glue to some crate material.

I glued the moss to a majority of the wood/rocks before I dropped it in the tank. This made life easier.

Here's what it looked like in the tank.

Skipping on ahead to post flooding...

Here's the little clip-on LED I bought for like $25. It is a beast! I will be adding a pwm dimmer to it later today. It's way too intense for this tiny tank. I could grow any plant I wanted with this light, if CO2 were added, of course. It's color temp looks very similar to my finnex planted plus. I like it.

Kubla, Kubla, Nigel95 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice start, I'm impressed you built it first and imagined the substrate - wasn't sure until I saw it all together - looks really good
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice start! Very cool small tank. It is a big challenge to scape a small tank!

The slope could be bigger. It's better to start very low at front. If you start with a thick layer at front there is less slope.

You don't really need to add substrate, you can also create height with flame moss.

And try adding some thin pieces in the back for more depth.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Nice start, I'm impressed you built it first and imagined the substrate - wasn't sure until I saw it all together - looks really good
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Nice start! Very cool small tank. It is a big challenge to scape a small tank!

The slope could be bigger. It's better to start very low at front. If you start with a thick layer at front there is less slope.

You don't really need to add substrate, you can also create height with flame moss.

And try adding some thin pieces in the back for more depth.

Thanks for the feedback, Nigel. After all, It was your scapes that inspired me to try this. I agree about the slope. The front was never meant to be built up that high but the larger sized pieces of substrate made it difficult to get that steep slope I was aiming for. You may have noticed that I covered up quite a bit of the root work on the front left side, that wasn't intentional. I should have went with my instinct and used blasting sand media instead of the Fluval stuff. The slope would have stayed better instead of rolling down the hill and collecting in the front. Live and learn. As for using thin sticks to fill the background in, I plan to do exactly that... whenever my LFS stocks more driftwood. I ran out of thin and long pieces quickly. I didn't have ideal pieces of wood to begin with. Some of them even needed to be lengthened to look right.
Nigel95 and Nigel95 like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm impressed! Small tanks are so hard to scape IMO. Wish I could do this.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
I'm impressed! Small tanks are so hard to scape IMO. Wish I could do this.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Thanks! If I can do this, I'm sure you can as well. This is literally my second attempt at any sort of aquascape. A little inspiration, improvision and few "choice" words are really all that's needed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode