Caton's planning journal. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Caton's planning journal.

Alright, so I plan on moving in a few months, perfect time for me to sell everything, and start new... and the right way....with a 110g tank. I hope to have one tank, where I can focus all my money and attention to it. I hopefully will be able to rid up a automated water changer, and all that jazz. I plan on having the tank high-lit, amazonian I, r/o water (unless the tap water is soft enough) and a sump or FX5. The tank will be high light, with maybe even metal halides, fast growing stems, and such. Now...If any of you know me, this thread will go on for a long while and it will change themes because I am indecisive.

But, let's start now so I can get all my questions out of the way. Keep in mind, this tank will most likely have a sump, and auto-water changer, with lots of plants.

Here we gooooooooooo!
60 cardinal tetra
6 Denisoni barb's
15 Congo tetra
10 Bosemans rainbowfish
5 b/n plecos
10 marble hatchets

What do you think? Sump will hopefully be 55g or 75g.

Hopefully the plant list will be:
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'
Blyxa alternifolia
Blyxa japonica
Cuphea annagalloidia
Eichhornia diversifolia
Hydrothrix gardeni
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila sp. 'bold'
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila sp. 'Sulawesi'
Lindernia sp. 'India'
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal'
Ludwigia senegalensis
Poaceae sp. 'Purple Bamboo'
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf'
Pogostemon stellatus 'Narrow Leaf'
Polygonum hydropiperoides
Polygonum kwagoneum
Polygonum ‘Sao Paulo’
Ranunculus inundatus
Rotala sp. 'butterfy'
Rotala macrandra 'japan red'
Rotala macrandra 'green'
Rotala macrandra 'Variegated'
Rotala mexicana 'Araguaia'
Rotala mexicana 'Belem'
Rotala mini 'type 1'
Rotala mini 'type 2'
Rotala sunset
Sphaerocaryum malaccense
(Did I mention that this is completely plagiarized from azfishkid?)

He makes good choices when it comes to plants

And yes, I know that there is a lot of time before I move. But man...I want to move and start over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
LOL. Do you even know what most of those plants look like?

...most of them won't grow very well without CO2!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Is this tank going to be open topped?...cause hatchets love to "fly"...
I'd also steer clear of a sump...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Honeycomb Master

Sump will be fine... but it just seems like added complication that isn't really necessary for planted tanks. And i know your reason behind it is because you want a lot of fish, but you'd need a LOT o' fish for a sump to be beneficial IMO. And really, your current "planned" stock list isn't that much (but don't take me wrong... i'm not saying that you should add another 60 tetras. )

Plans look good so far. I think you will be very happy to be able to focus on one large tank rather than many smaller ones. Directing your focus to one tank sure does help when you're trying to create an amazing setup/aquascape.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Sump will outgas CO2 as well...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Yeah, the reason why I want a sump is because I can have more plant's underneath the tank, and it gives me more water volume so that way I can play around more. I am sure I will have 10 honeycomb catfish. As for the hatchets, I know that they love to go carpet surfing. Are there any other top dwelling fish that would work? I was almost thinking WCMM because they are always on the top of my 20g. I also think I want a pair of rams, OR kribs, OR Apistogramma.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Well, I guess I will go with a FX5 then :/

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Yeah, the reason why I want a sump is because I can have more plant's underneath the tank, and it gives me more water volume so that way I can play around more. I am sure I will have 10 honeycomb catfish. As for the hatchets, I know that they love to go carpet surfing. Are there any other top dwelling fish that would work? I was almost thinking WCMM because they are always on the top of my 20g. I also think I want a pair of rams, OR kribs, OR Apistogramma.
Having plants in the sump is actually a really cool idea. Go for it! The sump will be fine... even if it does waste some CO2, i think it would be worth it to have some emersed/submersed plants growing in your stand. CO2 refills aren't expensive...

And who ever said he's going to use pressurized CO2, anyway? I didn't read that anywhere.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Its gonna be high-tech...thats kinda a given. Plus if I go with metal halides, that is pretty an algae farm unless I have some co2.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode