74 gallon Tower build 24x24x30 High Seapora / Deep Blue - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 7 Post By theDCpump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
74 gallon Tower build 24x24x30 High Seapora / Deep Blue

This is a challenging build.
Enjoy!

A 24x24x24 inch rimless cube with a sump used to reside in the corner, but I kept on seeing this 30 inch tall tank at my local store that had corals displayed.
I had to have it.

Seapora / Deep Blue are both under the umbrella of what is called Aquarium Masters. One is said to be a Canadian related item as the other is a US item.
Both can be purchased by local dealers.
I'm sure someone here can chime in on the specifics of the details.
This tank is a Seapora.

Goal:
I wanted to stay minimalist as well as have zero noise involved.
- easy to clean, simple fish, twinkling peaceful light.

Filters:
There were a few Sicce Tidal filters that I tried.
The 55, 75 and 110.
I have no issues with noise on the 55, but the 75 and 110 Tidal filters were just not cutting it when it came to the "zero-noise" challenge.
I can actually run the 2 Tidal 55 filters on high pushing a total of 500 gph (rated 250gph each).
The Tidal 75 was rated 350 and the Tidal 110 was rated for 450gph flow.
- The issue was that I wanted the filter media space, but had to reduce the output on the 75 and 110 model to even sound near quiet.

The 2 Tidal 55 filters now have the factory Tidal Blue sponge on the bottom as they come standard and a custom trimmed Tidal 75 blue foam on top of the far bottom 55 model sponge.
The 110 foam would even work too when trimmed in this model 55.
- the media tray is tapered and the stacking of factory model 55 sponges leads to bypass.
- more mods will be involved soon.
- black sand is used as a substrate, so I am hesitant to use factory white bio media that crumbles or passes out into my black sand.
- 'still searching for black bio media and may just use more "seeded" foam that only gets cleaned/squished out in water change water.

I was amazed that the Tidal model 55 series actually for the rim of the large tank.
-The model 55 actually will not fit the Deep Blue 48x24x16 project sitting next to it (rim is too thick).

A complex sump and pipework or a possible leak from a canister was not part of the plans on this build.

Water movement:
Besides the 2 Tidal 55 filters on high, I have 2 Tunze model 6040 wavemakers running to circulate the water column and get the detritus turds to move somewhere other than the bottom.
- I do not want to siphon the bottom of a deep tank too often and opted to spend the money on quiet water circulation.
- It took days of tests, but the fish poop finally zipps up near the intakes of the filters and nothing really sits on the bottom any longer.

A Eheim Skim 350 works great.
One may think the 2 Tidal filter would take care of the surface film, but not in all situations.
I have been back and forth with testing the Ehiem 350 on the tower build.
- likely I'm not correctly using the Tidal filter intakes with the flow, but that is part of the learning curve.
- the Eheim Skim 350 model helps a lot to remedy any surface residue seen, but it adds on more thing to what was supposed to be a "minimalist" project.

Tunze Turbelle Nanostream pumps:
Tunze model 6020 really disappointed me.
The model 6040 has a larger price tag at $140 or on sale on Cyber Monday and comes back on 100% of the time.
The model 6040 has a 10 minute feed timer too.
I opted to grab the Model 6020 at $42 and set it up to a 20 minute cycled off period timer, but the darn thing has really bad ratios of even turning back on.
The internet reviews are hit or miss with the 6020 model.
The 6020 may be a great choice if left on 24/7, but when the power goes out there may be a day that you will have to grab the unit for a manual restart.
The Model 6040 works like a charm every time, but the overall cost is not what most people care to spend.
I did it because they work and they will become almost silent after they break in.
When placed in the wrong spot on the glass, they will hum, so adjust them to the correct spot and the harmonics will go away.
They can be used to go full-go 100% speed or pulse at a great speed then a slow speed as well.
This mode has a slight high/low hum.
I would recommend the 6040 Nanstreams as a buy-once-cry-once item.
-great product when used correctly.

Fish:
I'm trying to keep the tank high speed, so the fish that love this are the freshwater gobies.
I have 3 Farlowella twig cats in the tower tank and they seem to keep the algae down.
They love the flow.
The main species that I would like to see is the Dwarf Rhinogobius zhoui (they are stunning).
- the males spar and zip around to impress the females.
- I have 2 female Rhinogobius zhoui so far, and the males are a hopeful future purchase.
- most stores will sell either pairs of them or sell a unsexed specimen and the chance of a beautiful male zhoui is slim.

Plants:
-Not sure yet.
-Looking for something creepy if anything.

Top off water:
A Tunze water top off device in a 20 gallon high serves to refill the 74 Tower.
3 stages of redundancy or back up aspects are involved with the unit out of the box.
- Expensive little units, but the insurance is worth it. Great product.

Lighting:
Kessil A80 freshwater Tuna-Sun model.
- Whatever grows with the light and looks creepy as for plants is the goal.
- if the light is only used for feeding and night-time viewing purposes, I will accept.
- the twinkle on the room's ceiling is gorgeous and enough for me.
- the light is hanging on with 24 inch factory Kessil arm and swings out of the way very easily.

It's coming along.
-Enjoy seeing how it goes!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode