GrandmasBoy's 20g High Tech - Pic Heavy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
GrandmasBoy's 20g High Tech - Pic Heavy

Hi!

I recently broke down a 50g and downgraded it to this 20g. This is my 3rd go at planted tanks and is probably the first one I am really happy with. I always found it hard to scape with wood in the 50g as I couldn't get any pieces big enough so I decided to try with rocks this time. I think the rocks are too low to the ground though and might possibly try to find some larger pieces. I wanted to set one of these journals up because I like creepin other peoples journal pages but I have been slackin and just never got around to it.

Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black
Lighting: Aquatic Life Dual Lamp T5HO 1x24w 6500k 1x24w Roseate 650nm @ 8 Hours a Day
Filter: Eheim Ecco 2234
Heater: Hydor 200w ETH
C02: 5lb Pressurized Tank
Milwaukee MA-957 Regulator
Ceramic Glass Nano diffuser
Cal Aqua Labs Double Drop Checker
Ferts: Dry Fertilizers using Estimative Index
Flora: Hemianthus callutrichoides, Pogostemon helferi, Hemianthus Micranthemoides, And what I believe is to be Rotala nanjenshan(please let me know if that is wrong)
Fauna: 9x Iriantherina werneri
7x Caridina japonica
1x Pseudomugil furcata(soon to find a new home)

Here are a few pictures taken very shortly after the transfer from the 50g.

Dec. 15, 2010 - Some shots of the Threadfins displaying in the plants.

Dec. 29, 2010
- GDA starting to cover the rocks. I thinned out the HM as it had some dead matter towards the bottom as it was all clumped together when I bought it. I also added a black background and changed out the diffuser to a 3 dollar cheapo nano one from ebay and am actually getting finer bubbles then I did with the expensive one I was running on the 50g.

Jan. 04, 2011 - Starting to get some algae growth in the HC.

Enjoy!

I am going to try and update this every Sunday with water change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gBOYsc2; 01-05-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Ugh, you have that same hairy algae I have in one of my tanks. Sadly, it seems to love well planted tanks. Luckily, it is controlled pretty easily with increased circulation. I am not sure of the stem plants, so I have nothing to contribute there. I love the HM and HC together.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow that is a beautiful tank. It's inspiring me to use CO2.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Ugh, you have that same hairy algae I have in one of my tanks. Sadly, it seems to love well planted tanks. Luckily, it is controlled pretty easily with increased circulation. I am not sure of the stem plants, so I have nothing to contribute there. I love the HM and HC together.
I am not sure if it is staghorn or clado. I posted in the algae forum but haven't got a definite ID. I have very close to 10x per hour circulation but I use a spraybar because the threadfin rainbowfish don't like fast moving water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Wow that is a beautiful tank. It's inspiring me to use CO2.
Thank you GMYukonon24's! Take the plunge. CO2 is a great thing!

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Does it get any taller than that? It looks a lot like clado, but could have some hair mixed in it. Also, the hair algae isn't as brittle and the clado has a musty smell. If you can't increase circulation, have you thought about using excel to spot dose it?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sewingalot - It hasn't appeared to be getting any taller then that. I am beginning to think it is not clado. I have a small patch of clado starting on the substrate and it looks very very different from what is growing in on the HC. I have thought about dosing with excel but wouldn't that melt the HC? I have been dosing regular amounts of excel.

Updates on the tank-

My furcata rainbow died out of nowhere 2 days ago. I decided to then go and get 6 more threadfins! Yay! TO be honest I didn't really like the furcata anyways. He was kind of a bully. I did a water change today and took a couple pics.... The HM isn't growing as fast as I thought it would.

Jan. 09, 2011 The Helferi is lookin good. Can you believe I got all that for just 10 bucks? I even threw about half of it out when i planted. It was in a tissue cultured aqua 'tub' from Aquaflora Nurseries here in Canada.

Can anyone ID the plant in the back left corner for me?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 AM
I ♥ BBA!

That is an amazing price on Downoi! The excel would help the algae for sure, I am not positive how the HC would react, though. I'd just try to spot dose a little area with the normal amount you add and see if it helps. It looks like some type of filamentous algae. What kind, I am not sure.

Sorry, I am at a loss on the plant in the background.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good idea! I will try that.

I am also gonna pull out a couple quarter sized portions and separate it and plant it around the outer edges so it will fill in faster. Hopefully I will get around to this tomorrow but I have a Mini-S coming in the mail!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't you have that same ADA Mini S posted for sale over at AA?

Also i'm guessing you're getting all your plants from PJ's in those little tubs grown emersed?

||
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes I have an older Mini-S that has a small chip in it that will be going up for sale at Alberta Aquatica.

Also Yes! I got the helferi and the tall plant in the back left in those little aquatubs from PJ's.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wowzers! In 2 weeks this was bumped back 10 pages. I really had to search for it lol.

Jan. 24, 2011 - I got lazy last sunday and didn't take any pics or do any updates. That week I had been dosing 1.5x EI to try and combat algae and feeding about 4x as much as normal because there was a runt in the 6 rainbows I recently added and I wanted him to get enough food. I consequently lost 2 shrimp and one of my rainbows had half of a fin rot away and another one had a damage to his dorsal fin. Last sunday I did a large water change and only dosed about half the amount as usual during this week. The fin has healed up druing this week and is looking much better now. I wont be 1.5x dosing anymore nor overfeeding like that. Also one more shrimp looks like he's on his last days. He is all cloudy and milky lookin kind of like how they look after they die, but it is still alive.

I took a chunk of the HC out of the center and spread it around the outsides a little so it will fill in faster. I sold some of the downoi because I wanted to make room for another kind of stem plant. I added some Diplis diandra from an aquaflora nurseries tub. I have read mixed reviews about the plant and it's difficulty to grow but I decided to give it a shot. It seems to be doing good so far. The HM is growing ever so slowly but sure is lookin nice. I can't wait till it is very bushy.

Here is the updated pic taken just a few minutes ago. I got lazy again and didn't do my water change today cuz I was a little busy. I will do it tomorrow early in the morning.

Last edited by gBOYsc2; 02-02-2011 at 04:36 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
So pretty.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
very nice makes me want to pull up and redo my 20h

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Betta Maniac! What's one more tank bigboij! Hahahah an extra 20g's of water in the house never hurt anyone!

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

nice tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode