12x12x12 cube noob - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
12x12x12 cube noob

Been lurking these forums for a while and decided to give a planted tank a try. I came across a cube tank locally for cheap. Came with a no name led, a heater and a sun sun hbl-303 hob filter which I will try to replace with maybe a small cannister filter. I was a little anxious in getting it up and running that I just traded in some sand I had laying around from Petco for the eco complete substrate. Ordered some seiryu stones online and played around with stones. As for plants, I'm not really sure on what to get. I was thinking about ordering a beginners pack from buceplant. I really want to try and carpet the front and some stem plants in the back, but not sure on what to get for a low tech tank. Any suggestions would help a lot and please critique my set up!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks like a good start. Getting a mix can be a good way to see what works in your tank, but you can also built your own mix too. Start at the front, what sort of carpet would you like? Are you thinking grass-like or one of the tiny leaved plants that create a flatter carpet? Or something more like moss (tends to need a lot of trimming) or even flattened out moss balls (dark green)?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Looks like a good start. Getting a mix can be a good way to see what works in your tank, but you can also built your own mix too. Start at the front, what sort of carpet would you like? Are you thinking grass-like or one of the tiny leaved plants that create a flatter carpet? Or something more like moss (tends to need a lot of trimming) or even flattened out moss balls (dark green)?
Not entirely sure on what to get. I just ordered a plant pile from glassaqua. It comes with 3 foreground 3 midground and 4 background plants. They don't specify the types of plants. When it comes in, I'll post what I got and see what you recommend. As far as carpet, I was thinking grass type. Any suggestions that will thrive in ablow tech tank?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 05:38 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Getting an assorted pile of plants is a good start: it will help you to figure out what grows and what dies and what look you like. That is also likely to get you to read up on the plants you have and that will lead you to others.

You could also read other people's journals, find some similar set-ups and learn from them what worked and what problems they run into.

Welcome to the hobby!

Bump: 12x12x12 is about 7g. While smaller tanks seem to be easier to manage, in practice they are a lot harder then larger tanks. In such a small volume of water, a small mistake can have a very large impact.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Getting an assorted pile of plants is a good start: it will help you to figure out what grows and what dies and what look you like. That is also likely to get you to read up on the plants you have and that will lead you to others.

You could also read other people's journals, find some similar set-ups and learn from them what worked and what problems they run into.

Welcome to the hobby!

Bump: 12x12x12 is about 7g. While smaller tanks seem to be easier to manage, in practice they are a lot harder then larger tanks. In such a small volume of water, a small mistake can have a very large impact.
Yah I figured starting out with a pile of plants is best since I'm still new to this and there are so many different plants out there, it kind of gets daunting lol. As far as smaller tanks are harder to keep up, what should I be looking for to know when it is "stable?"

I'm also wanting to upgrade the HOB to a cannister filter. Ant recommendations for a small one? I was told to get a zoo med nano 30, but I can't find one locally. Any other recommendations?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:24 PM
TCD
Algae Grower

Looks good, but I'd say from personal experience that you may want to reposition those stones a little so you can get to all the glass for cleaning. The exact clearance will depend on the type of scraper you're using but they all need some gap and it looks like things might be a little tight on the sides. It really bugs me that I have a patch of algae on my glass that neither my scraper nor my snails can get to.

I have the smallest Eheim canister filter for my 12 inch cube. Its still way too big, but I don't think it hurts.

I can seem to grow all the usual beginner plants okay using Excel as a carbon source, but the carpeting plants all slowly die on me. Maybe you need C02 for them, but I can't personally justify the kit for a single 12 inch cube.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Looks good, but I'd say from personal experience that you may want to reposition those stones a little so you can get to all the glass for cleaning. The exact clearance will depend on the type of scraper you're using but they all need some gap and it looks like things might be a little tight on the sides. It really bugs me that I have a patch of algae on my glass that neither my scraper nor my snails can get to.

I have the smallest Eheim canister filter for my 12 inch cube. Its still way too big, but I don't think it hurts.

I can seem to grow all the usual beginner plants okay using Excel as a carbon source, but the carpeting plants all slowly die on me. Maybe you need C02 for them, but I can't personally justify the kit for a single 12 inch cube.
Thanks for the tip!! I didn't even think about that lol. Yah I can't see myself setting up a co2 system on such a small tank, will most likely use that liquid co2.

What fish do you have in your tank? Is your filter too strong?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 PM
TCD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by benosa562 View Post
Thanks for the tip!! I didn't even think about that lol. Yah I can't see myself setting up a co2 system on such a small tank, will most likely use that liquid co2.

What fish do you have in your tank? Is your filter too strong?

With my filter I got tubing connectors with taps that can partially shut off the flow.

I have glowlight tetras who seem very happy in the flow, along with nerite snails and possibly an amano shrimp, although if so its hiding very well from me. The glowlights are great, bright colours, very feisty at feeding time and robust enough that I haven't killed any directly. Sadly my biggest problem is suicidal jumpers with the open top. Even though I chose non-jumping fish I still seem to lose one every few months.

My original plan was to just keep shrimp, but something I did kept killing them, so I moved to the tetra who seem much happier.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:31 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I've had 2 of thsee for about 7 years and they served me well on tanks from 4g to 12g long https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-PX-360...anister+filter

There are a lot of canister filter choices, from Eheim at the higher end to Sunsun, with different reviews and oppinions.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I've had 2 of thsee for about 7 years and they served me well on tanks from 4g to 12g long https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-PX-360...anister+filter

There are a lot of canister filter choices, from Eheim at the higher end to Sunsun, with different reviews and oppinions.
I was actually on Amazon and was looking at filter. I was recommended on getting the zoo med nano 30, but it's hard to source locally and Amazon has it for $40 more than retail.

Another question I have is about the led light that came with the tank. I can't find the name of it and I don't know if it's suitable for growing plants. Is there a way to figure it out or am I better off getting a new one?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants came in!! I have no idea what they are though lol

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Definitely way too much plants for this tank. I was so much harder than I thought. It's late and I had to get the plants in water. Maybe I should have just put them in a bucket instead rushing to get them in the tank. Plants didn't want to stay down and Everytime I did get them down, they would come up when I would pull up the tweezers.

Damn, it looks like a hot mess LoL!! I'll try and redo it in the morning
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Algae Grower

I've really started to like these nano cubes. The dimensions are super cool.

I know for a fact that the anubias nana (maybe even petite?) you have in the front of the tank will not do well if the rhizome is buried in the substrate. This plant appreciates being tied to rocks and hardscapes above the substrate and will eventually latch onto them with their roots. I'll let someone more confident than I come and identify the rest of the new species you received.

Keep up the great work on the tank! Really dig your hardscape by the way. That seiryu is killer!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.b2 View Post
I've really started to like these nano cubes. The dimensions are super cool.

I know for a fact that the anubias nana (maybe even petite?) you have in the front of the tank will not do well if the rhizome is buried in the substrate. This plant appreciates being tied to rocks and hardscapes above the substrate and will eventually latch onto them with their roots. I'll let someone more confident than I come and identify the rest of the new species you received.

Keep up the great work on the tank! Really dig your hardscape by the way. That seiryu is killer!
Thanks man!! Appreciate it. It's my first planted tank and I'm still learning the plants. I wish they came labeled so I know what I'm working with. I think I need to pick up another LED and a cannister filter

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When do you think I can add some fish?

Checked my water

pH 7.8
Ammonia 0.5 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

What else should I be checking?

Last edited by benosa562; 03-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode