Deciding to plant my 180G properly (and change to Rainbows) - The Planted Tank Forum
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Deciding to plant my 180G properly (and change to Rainbows)

Okay, after a few little posts here and there, I've decided to give my 6 Ft (with a 4ft Sump) a remodel.

I'm new to plants, and have previously had mainly ornaments, a bit of driftwood that came with plants attached, and a few plants i got on sale locally...

After seeing some of the masterpieces on here, I've decided to try and up my game...

It all started when I needed to catch a few of my fish that I was re-homing a few days ago, and ended up having to completely gut my whole tank to get them out .. Everything except substrate... So all plants and ornaments came out.

After I caught the fish that I needed to catch, I started redesigning my tank.. I've always wanted more greenery, so decided to bring in my plants from my breeder tanks (My L Plecos dont care much for them anyway), and decided to really pack out the tank with plants..

Big Jim (My 14 Inch Plecostomus) however has not been kind to the new plants and uproots about a dozen plants a day some of which are completely destroyed (Some of these plants are 50+ cm plants with extensive root systems buried deep in the Iron Sand).. So it has been decided he has to go... a friend is taking him off my hands tomorrow, which is a little sad, but he'll be happy with them anyway.

Not long ago, I added a few Goyter River Rainbowfish, and while they're fairly colourless juveniles, I've been checking out Gregzz setup and absolutely love them, So have decided that now that my enormous pleco is going, i'll have plenty of available bio-load to make this a proper rainbowfish tank. (Have since ordered a heap more different varieties that should arrive next week).

I've also ordered the parts necessary to get a CO2 system together, and have started building an LED light to help the new plants grow, and make the Rainbows really shine.

Heres a photo of my tank last week. Not bad but not as green as i'd like.

And here's where it sits tonight, although I'm not finished yet, with some more gold vine soaking, and some more Seiryu Stone that will both help fill the left hand side of the tank. Obviously the new LEDs will help it look nicer too.

Still not there yet, but just a work in progress.. Plus I've never really done this sort of thing before, so I'm sure I've done a million things wrong that i'll find out about soon enough.

Last edited by SamandSara; 03-04-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
It looks very nice already and the future plans sound great. Looking forward to see things progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow that is a quick transformation. I really, really like the new layout.

You could say I am a little biased, but boy a nice group of colorful Bows is going to look great in there.

Subscribed and looking forward to seen where this goes from here.

Once again, really nice transformation.
Noahma, Noahma, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

------------------

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Greggz,

Checking out your Bows is what made me decide to settle in for the long wait and buy a heap of Juveniles.

In Total theres:
16x Goyder Rivers
3x Catos
6x Lake Kutubus
2x Red Irians

There's a lot of Goyders as I was originally just going for a school of 15 or so ones of them, but decided to throw in a few extras for some variety... hopefully they'll all school nicely!

I'll pop some more stone in there tomorrow as well as the last piece of Gold Vine, but my LFS (Theres only 1 within a few hours drive of here) doesnt open mondays, so i'll have to grab some anubias on tuesday for it.

Various CO2 parts should be arriving over the next couple of weeks... Just got to find somewhere that sells the gas locally and decide wether to rent or buy one. From what I understand, the rental ones work out pretty cheap.. but will have to check.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandSara View Post
Thanks Greggz,

Checking out your Bows is what made me decide to settle in for the long wait and buy a heap of Juveniles.

In Total theres:
16x Goyder Rivers
3x Catos
6x Lake Kutubus
2x Red Irians

There's a lot of Goyders as I was originally just going for a school of 15 or so ones of them, but decided to throw in a few extras for some variety... hopefully they'll all school nicely!

I'll pop some more stone in there tomorrow as well as the last piece of Gold Vine, but my LFS (Theres only 1 within a few hours drive of here) doesnt open mondays, so i'll have to grab some anubias on tuesday for it.

Various CO2 parts should be arriving over the next couple of weeks... Just got to find somewhere that sells the gas locally and decide wether to rent or buy one. From what I understand, the rental ones work out pretty cheap.. but will have to check.
My Goyder Rivers have been less than thrilling. If I were to do a big group it would be Milleniums or Kamaka. Have you looked at those?? Maybe I just got a really bad batch.

As for C02 most places swap tanks. I've done it both ways. Bought a new empty tank and swapped for a filled one... and then I just bought a filled one there and I bring them back for new filled ones. You should check one thing ... lots of places don't deal with 10lb tanks. Only 5's and 20's. I paid $120 shipped from Amazon for a 20lb tank and another $32 to swap for a filled one. Bought the 5lb one filled at the place for $99. It's $16 to refill... but I couldn't fit a 20lb tank into the cabinet of the 150. Both tanks are nice aluminum tanks.
Your tank is already looking great. Your anubias looks better than mine in a high light, C02, and EI dosed tank. Turns out calcium and magnesium are pretty essential.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Captain

as Gregg pointed out - wow, that was quick :-)
The tank is looking great. Can understand being sad to see the beg pleco go. Should be an interesting journey with the planned large group of rainbows. One thing is for certain, you should have plenty of filtration capacity!
Greggz and Greggz like this.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the attitude! None of us were born with the abilities we often need. We just have to start somewhere and work into it? Very nice start and sounds like a plan but then things do have a way of making us think pretty hard at times. I've slowly learned that it is perfectly fine to not achieve perfection. I still occasionally wreck my bike even though I've been riding for years!
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
My Goyder Rivers have been less than thrilling. If I were to do a big group it would be Milleniums or Kamaka. Have you looked at those?? Maybe I just got a really bad batch.

As for C02 most places swap tanks. I've done it both ways. Bought a new empty tank and swapped for a filled one... and then I just bought a filled one there and I bring them back for new filled ones. You should check one thing ... lots of places don't deal with 10lb tanks. Only 5's and 20's. I paid $120 shipped from Amazon for a 20lb tank and another $32 to swap for a filled one. Bought the 5lb one filled at the place for $99. It's $16 to refill... but I couldn't fit a 20lb tank into the cabinet of the 150. Both tanks are nice aluminum tanks.
Your tank is already looking great. Your anubias looks better than mine in a high light, C02, and EI dosed tank. Turns out calcium and magnesium are pretty essential.
Roberts Oxygen charged me like 108 for a 20lb tank recently(+30 for the co2), the tank probably wasn't as nice as the amazon tank but we're both just swapping them anyhow?
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
My Goyder Rivers have been less than thrilling.
Dude1 I think the ones you got were typical fish farm variety. Too often most color has been washed out, and they can be more tan than red.

But make no mistake, well bred mature Goyder's with crisp red/black markings are a site to behold. Still one of my favorites, and I wouldn't have a tank without them.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

------------------
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm hoping that being a local fish will mean that I've got some good looking fish.. But I suppose only time will tell.

Worst case I might need to go for a drive and catch some of my own! Lol

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Planted Member

I would get a larger tank than a 20lb. I use a 35lb and i wish i had room for a 55lb. If you have any ideas i pretty much did a no expenses spared 180g build.

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythy View Post
I would get a larger tank than a 20lb. I use a 35lb and i wish i had room for a 55lb. If you have any ideas i pretty much did a no expenses spared 180g build.
Why?? Where would you put it?? Who would fill it? And what's the point? A 20lb tank would last like 7 or 8 months... at a very high rate. There is no benefit whatsoever other than not having to have it filled as often... if you can even find a place to fill it. I struggle to carry a full 20lb tank and I'm a very big dude.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What ever you do as far as CO2 tank size goes, the absolute best thing is to have two.

All you need to do is run out one time when you can't get it filled right away, and you will see the value.

It's like grill gas. Best advice is to always have a spare handy.

More than likely you will run out at the worst possible time.

------------------
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
What ever you do as far as CO2 tank size goes, the absolute best thing is to have two.

All you need to do is run out one time when you can't get it filled right away, and you will see the value.

It's like grill gas. Best advice is to always have a spare handy.

More than likely you will run out at the worst possible time.
I couldn't agree more! I had a backup... then I went and set up a second planted tank and didn't want airline tubing running everywhere. A couple weeks ago the CO2 on my main tank ran dry. I had some issues with my normal local suppliers. Ended up going lights off/no ferts/no co2 for a week. Some plants took a pretty big hit!

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Don't hate after I post this.

I take the 20's to work and the guys fill them for me.
Net cost of 20 pounder liquid CO2 is $1.76
Got 25000 gallons tank outside, insulated and kept @ 300PSI
We are not allowed to use steel tanks anymore so I can scavenge as needed!
Greggz, Greggz, chayos00 and 1 others like this.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode