BSS 46 Gal Bow Front - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
BSS 46 Gal Bow Front

Okay, time to stop procrastinating, become a supporting member of the forum and get a tank shot out there. This photo is from 11/18. A few challenges have popped up with the tank, but I'll post another shot in a couple weeks when I get those under control. My Crypt balansae and Hygro difformis in the back right corner have started to fill in, though my Mayaca fluviatilis is still struggling, likely because my oversized, lazy SAE keeps uprooting it .

Here's the summary. It's a 46 gal AGA bf. Rena XP3 w/ coarse sponges, medium sponges, and ceramic noodles. I have since also added filter floss. The 55w CF is on for around 13 hours. The 96w CF kicks on an hour after the 55w and turns off an hour before. My fert regimen has been pretty basic. On 50% water changes every 1-2 weeks, bring the PO4 up to 1.0, NO3 to 10, dose K to 20 ppm and add "a pinch" of CSM+B.

I'm still in that 'what can I plant next' stage, so there's quite a smattering of plants. Nothing too exotic, I think.

Comments, suggestions, questions...let em' fly!
Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full.tank.200411.iview.jpg
Views:	1725
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	637  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'll bet your fish love that lighting system. A 55w would be a nice way to wake up. I've been meaning to do the same with my tank - instead of saying, "good morning fish - here's 192watts to help you wake up ". I like your open-water section to the right. Not sure how I feel about that big, leafy plant yet....keep posting .

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
BSS

The big, leafy E. ozelot is one of my first plants...originally from my first, lower light, learner tank. It's currently making lots of babies which I can trade in at the local store. So, I'm torn with uprooting it. But, I'm guessing the urge to try something different and its dominant position in the tank will lead to some form of change in the not-too-distant future. Actually, just last night I was noting that some of my mid-ground crypts (Wendtii's prehaps) are starting to get pretty sizable. So if I remove the sword, slide the crypts back, make some more room... Ah, it's such a nice distraction to work!

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
BSS i must say i second unirdna's thought on the sword. i think in some of amano's pics he suggests a diagonal "line" going from the top of one side of the tank to the lower level of the other side. the sword may very well distort the line. but this is just an opinion, to each his own, a very nice looking tank. the open area in your "lawn" looks very quaint.

i'm wondering... if you were to move a sword that is so well established, would it take it quite awhile to start making more planlets?
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i disagree!
i think that if you trim down those plants on the left (?) the red ones? then the ozelot can become the center focus-in place of wood or rocks or something.

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
BSS

My original vision was to have a V-shaped layout (is that concave?). The opening in the back right corner is where I ripped out a jungle val "jungle" that was causing way to many shade issues. I agree that the L repens is a bit too large in the photo. But, I was so happy to finally get a decent photo, that I just had to go with it .

Good ideas, folks. Gives me some options to consider.
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
i disagree!
i think that if you trim down those plants on the left (?) the red ones? then the ozelot can become the center focus-in place of wood or rocks or something.
Now why didn't I think of that....wait, I did !

If you click on the 46 in my signature, you'll see what my tank used to look like. I have since completely removed the L. repens and hacked down the hygro to almost nada. And my java fern has tripled its size. Sooooo, my tank is similar to what yours would be if you removed the L.repens and let that centerpiece grow.

What was I thinking ?

ps. But ya gotta admit, a big red bush does look pretty snappy in a photo .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
BSS

Time for an update. As there is always a reason to wait a while for something else to grow just right, it has been a while.

I'm still wrestling with my fert regimen. My first 10 lb CO2 tank dating back to July just got a refill. For most of the time, the CO2 was on a timer with my lights, and I've been dorking with the levels. So, this tank might not last quite 7 months like the first one. Per the recent Tom Barr EI threads (and continuing green spot), I've just starting bumping my target PO4 levels to around 2.0, NO3 levels up to 20 and K up to 20. I only dose NO3 and K on water changes. My healthy fish load seems to keep the NO3 fairly stable. I'm adding 0.3 ppm of PO4 every other day, and 1 ml of my CSM+B every day (w/ 3 ml on water change).

Current plants include: (back row) L. repens, Alternanthera reineckii, Rotala indica, Hemianthus micranthmoides, Myaca fluviatilis, Crypt balansae, Bacopa caroliniana (? recently collected near Miami), Hygrophila difformis.
(mid/front) Heteranthera zosterifolia, Sagitarria sublata, Java fern (very small clump), Crypt wendtii, Lobelia cardinalis - dwarf, Marsilea quadrifolia, Lilaeopsis basiliensis, Marimo ball (why ?), E. ozelot, Crypt wendtii, Anubia nana, Vallisneria spiralis.

Current fish load: Sally (my giant, lazy SAE), 2 threadfin rainbow, 4 harlequin rasbora, 4 cardinal tetra, 10 rummynose tetra, 6 oto, 3 leopard danio, 3 red swordtails (+ assorted babies ), 1 bristlenose plec, 2 botia kubotai, 1 botia rostrata, 1 botia "Yo-yo", 7 assorted corydoras.

Comments? Suggestions? Corrections of above? Let 'em fly!!
Brian.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whole.tank.noflash.iview.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	920  

post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
BSS

And, here's a shot from the day before taken with a flash. This was just after a 3-4 hour pruning/removing, water change, etc. Comments on the flash versus the non-flash shot??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whole.tank.wflash.iview2.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	921  

post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love the pix,

personally i like the non flash pix =)
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:44 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
After seeing these pictures it really makes me want to get off my butt and get this 46 bow going I have just sitting here empty in my office.

In that first pic, out of all those fish you have listed all you notice is big ol sally.

Thanks for the inspiration! I would love to see more pics of the rest of the crew.
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice, I like this set up a lot.
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
BSS

Thanks for the comments, folks!! When I have a few hours to kill and I'm in a fairly calm mood , I'll see if I can stretch my picture taking talents to get some fish pics. Definitely something I've been thinking of trying some day, I'm just expecting it to be a frustrating adventure. I was pleasantly surprised when I flipped the lights on in the tank last night, and Sally just sat there posing. Sally is normally quick to dodge back to the back of the tank under the spraybar and hidden by the plants.
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
BSS

Semi-Overhaul

Well, the more I looked at the previous tank shot, the more I found I didn't really like. So, it was time for a bit of an overhaul. Here's the changes:

Out: Ozelot sword (kept a plantlet for my 10g), R. indica (wasn't doing it for me), L. repens (been there, done that, grew too fast).

In: Monosolenium tenerum/ Pelia (*generous* batch from Picesgirl!! Loosely tied to rocks...will this stay low enough for the foreground?)

Dosing: Increased CSM+B (1 tsp in 250ml) to 10 ml on non-Macro days about a week ago (thanks, Craig)

Replants: Mayaca (topped and held down with plant weights...thanks, Shalu), leggy Pearlgrass/Stargrass topped and replanted "individually" (my apologies to those in the senior council when I suggested otherwise ), Anubias nana being weighed down in front to lower the root structure (don't you love the nice clay pot!).

Photo: Went with just the 55w this time to reduce glare.

Coming attractions: Getting some E. stellata and L. aromatica tomorrow. Suggestions for placement??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46g.20050306.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	968  

post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just wanted to say nice tank. Sorry I can not answer your placement ?.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode