Dirted 75 Gallon Dry Start - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirted 75 Gallon Dry Start

I was forced to do a dry start after realizing the stand I built sucks and can't hold the tank with water. So here are some photos of the progress. I have s. repens, dwarf hairgass, Ludwigia, cryptocoryne, some species of anubias, dward sag, and java moss. Each photo is taken right after a trimming.
The dwarf sag isn't doing too well. I more or less gave up on it. I may take it out and put it in a New set up. I got it cheap so I was trying to figure out what to do with it.
The S. Repens has done very well. It hasn't grown out much but each trimming I replanted has done well.
I have 4 4ft t8 bulbs over it.
I'm not too happy with the hardscape and may add some rocks. I there's also this small piece of wood that I have no idea what to do with. Honestly, I'm finding out my woodworking and aquascaping skills aren't the best. This is humbling. I may have forgotten to say something. I'll edit this post if I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like the hardscape, looks pretty good. Why can't your stand support the tank? Looks like you did a DIY
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I like the hardscape, looks pretty good. Why can't your stand support the tank? Looks like you did a DIY
Thanks man. I just want the rocks a little bit higher. It was DIY. To be honest, it was just sloppily put together. My cuts weren't straight at all and one side dips down. I'm just going to build a new one.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Algae Grower

What cryptocoryne do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Planted Member

Dirted 75 Gallon Dry Start

I think the layout looks great ! Consider reducing your water level. You should have no standing water in a DSM- it can lead to mold and algae.

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great start!!!
Like @geektom said, standing water can cause issues so be careful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geektom View Post
I think the layout looks great ! Consider reducing your water level. You should have no standing water in a DSM- it can lead to mold and algae.
Thanks man! I definitely will. Mold has been my biggest fear during this process. From what I've seen, it's a pain to fix.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a bit of an update. The Staurogyne Repens are still doing great. Nothing new there. The hairgass is doing okay but is having some issues. I replanted the crypto in a more visible place for no other reason than I like crypto and I wanted to be able to see it. It's at least growing. It was kind of sitting on the bottom and not doing anything. It's beginning to perk up and reach for the light a bit. I'm mostly posting to show how much the Staurogyne Repens has spread and grown using both a dirted tank and a dry start. I really wish I had used sand to cap the dirt under the hairgass rather than eco earth. May change that. Second opinions will be appreciated. I've trimmed it and replanted it in some spots.
What plants would you guys use in this tank and where?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally filling it up. Doing half today half tomorrow. Honestly just afraid the stand will come crashing down but it is holding up well. The plants took off really well with the dry start and I am currently ordering more to add diversity to the tank. The S. Repens are the real star of the show. They took off very quickly.

Last edited by ThatGuyWithTheFace; 03-24-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode