New 20g dwarf puffer planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 20g dwarf puffer planted tank

Well here is my 20 gallon tank, it has been up and running for about 1 month. The pictures aren't that great but show the basic layout and some attempted close ups of parts of the tank (a bit cloudy from 50% water change just before this).

Fauna: There are 5 albino Corys (2 from the frog tank), 4 dwarf puffers, 10+/- ghost shrimp, and 3 mystery snails.

Flora: crypts, bacopa, glosso, amazon sword, java moss, some aponogeton bulbs.

Substrate: About an inch layer of topsoil on both the left and right hand side covered by some white/black/tan gravel from my last brackish tank then topped with eco complete.

Lighting is a 2x24w t5ho setup that has been partially blocked off. Filter is just a simple HOB that came with the tank, and there is also a 100w heater. I'm not planning on C02, hoping for slow growth (I know algae may become a problem).

As of right now the puffers are leaving the corys alone for the most part but they may be removed and donated to someone else if the puffers start picking on them. The puffers like bothering the shrimp and mystery snails quite a bit. I have already found atleast 4 dead shrimp over the past 2 weeks but they get eaten pretty quick. I plan to get a few ottos once the tank has grown in a bit more. I have also started an 8 gallon pond snail tank for the puffers as one of them does not like frozen blood worms like the others but they all love eating small snails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01430.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	26247  

Name:	DSC01433.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	26248  

Name:	DSC01434.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	26249  

Name:	DSC01435.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	26250  

Name:	DSC01438.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	26251  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Algae Grower

That will be a great tank to watch. The dwarf puffers are REALLY entertaining. They're all pretty different but with the ones I used to have they left cories completely alone.

90 gallon high-tech planted tank: running pressurized CO2, T5HO lighting, heavily planted, with electric blue rams, rummynose tetras, harlequin rasboras, farlowella and plecos.

Fluval Edge: low light planted with Scarlet Badis, Celestial Pearl Danios, Pygmy Cories, Cherry Shrimp and Red Crystal Shrimp.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to LilGreenPuffer Send a message via Skype™ to LilGreenPuffer
You'll probably have much better luck with the cories (and happy puffers) if you plant your tank much more heavily. DPs aren't really fond of open spaces.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I do plan for it to grow in a bit more. Hoping the glosso takes over the front right and that the crypts get bigger quick. Might add some more plants in the next few weeks as well.

Lilgreenpuffer: Do you keep any of your Triops in with your puffers, or feed them triops by any chance? I never looked into them myself but they look easy to raise and would work well in my Grays Tree frog riparium (now that I don't have any fish or shrimp in it anymore).
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to LilGreenPuffer Send a message via Skype™ to LilGreenPuffer
Yes, indeed! I have kept adult triops in the tank with her, and she got along fine with them, but my puffer is a weirdo who doesn't even eat baby RCS. She will eat triops hatchlings off the toothpick (the toothpick is the FOOD signal, since it's the utensil I always use to feed her).
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small update - added some moneywort to the back of the tank and an single otto as well.

I went to petsmart to get some more pest pond snails to add to the snail tank. The woman working wouldn't give them away for free so I talked her into giving me 2 for 1 for the money worts and the otto for half price since he was in the wrong tank and the only one left. Total cost for enough money wort to fill in the back of the tank, 1 otto and about 25 small pond snails - $3.64.

She said she will be ordering more ottos and they will be coming in on wednesday. I plan on adding 3 more since the one in there is doing great and really cleaning the algae off of the plants and wall of the tank (he eats so much). They are on sale until the end of the week for $.99 ea so I want to get them as soon as they come in.

I will take some more pics either today or after I add a few more ottos.

With the addition of the moneywort filling the back of the tank in the puffers seem happier and less aggressive.

20g planted dwarf puffer tank
25g Brackish Figure-8 puffer tank
20g extra-high (custom 2x10g stacked) gray tree frog terrarium (Peewee & Chubbs)
3 Blue tongue skinks (Dice-6, Pinky-3 & The Brain-3)
1 small "pound special" mutt (Rocko-2)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

(Isn't pet store Bartering the best?)

I am definitely going to be following this journal!

I'm debating on making the other 20g that I'm gonna set up a Dwarf Puffer tank but I want to get to know more about them/their care & maintenance, etc before making a decision.
At one of our LPS they have them in with a Betta, Sharks, Guppies, etc...
They're the kind of shop that keeps African Dwarf and African Clawed Frogs together.

Sabrina
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome! I am doing a similar setup with a 20L. Where did you get your dwarf puffers? My LFS has a hard time getting them in. Their supplier does not usually carry them.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got my DPs at a local shop which is actually on my way home from work daily so it worked out well (Aquarium Depot in Randalstown, MD). I'm lucky enough to have that shop which has quite a large selection near by. I also occasionally drive up to Lancaster, PA to that pet place which must have one of if not the largest fish room on the east coast/ all of US. That pet place usually has 10 or so different species of puffers in at any one time (got 2 GSPs there before). They also ship but for a fish as cheap as a DP I doubt you would want to do that.

20g extra-high (custom 2x10g stacked) gray tree frog terrarium (Peewee & Chubbs)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogFarm View Post
(Isn't pet store Bartering the best?)

I am definitely going to be following this journal!

I'm debating on making the other 20g that I'm gonna set up a Dwarf Puffer tank but I want to get to know more about them/their care & maintenance, etc before making a decision.
At one of our LPS they have them in with a Betta, Sharks, Guppies, etc...
They're the kind of shop that keeps African Dwarf and African Clawed Frogs together.
If you haven't already done so, you might enjoy and benefit from perusing http://www.dwarfpuffers.com. I discovered that website shortly before obtaining my first freshwater dwarf puffer about a year ago, and I think it's a good resource for knowledge re that unusual, personality-rich, little fish.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah, I love dwarfpuffers.com!
I started researching them when I saw some at the LPS and that was the best website I found about them.

Sabrina
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Well here is a quick update on the tank. Everything is doing well except for the occasional shrimp casualty (somewhat expected) and the glosso isn't filling in at all without help from me. There are now 3 Otos that are doing well. Moneywort added to the back of the tank and the ludwiga in the front has really taken off. I have re-planted the two daughter plants of the amazon sword to the right side of the tank but may give one of them to a coworker if he wants it.

Here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01439.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	26921  

Name:	DSC01440.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	26922  

Name:	DSC01441.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	26923  

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you add CO2, your glosso will explode~

75G

ADA 60P and Mini-M (shut down)

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I'm trying to keep it as low-tech as possible with what I have. The glosso hasn't been dying and I really don't want to deal with everything else growing so fast. The main thing I don't like about how the glosso is growing is that the cory's dig/knock pieces off that float up to the top daily so I just replant those pieces. Everything else is already growing too fast for what I wanted and all I add is fish poop and light lol. Parameters stay fine, all levels are always low so the plants are using what they need.

All I get that I don't want is a little red/black algae on the java moss which I just trim the algae covered pieces and a little green spot algae on the glass which easily wipes off once a month or so. It seems the shrimp, mystery snails and Otos are a great clean up crew and the tank is really low maintenance as is - exactly what I'm going for.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I love puffers. And I had the same problem with my cory cats. They knock almost every new plant out repeatedly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode