Grand Teton planted project...40br High tech - The Planted Tank Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Grand Teton planted project...40br High tech

1st of all I would like to thank all the help I have got on this forum what a great community!

I debated every aspect of this tank, from tank size to substrate, what water to use, lighting, heating etc. etc. etc. after all it is my 1st FW planted tank and I want to give me the best possible start to a successful tank. 138 posts later and I think i am ready to jump in.

coming from the SW world I thought this would be a easy boy was I wrong tons of info to learn.

tank:
40br as I have a few around. but mostly because I love the foot print. oh also I will be moving in a year or so. and moving it by myself is key. I am thinking of de-rimming it.

substrate:
I debated on this for weeks hell I still am. but in the end I am going with black diamond blasting sand (BDBS) over ADA. for 2 reasons. 1. if a tons cheaper and there are many successful tanks on here using it. 2. like i said I will/could be moving in the next year and was/am not sure how moving the ADA would work out.

Hard scape:
tank will focus on moss covered drift wood with a nice carpet and stones. for this I am trying to find it locally. I have a lot of cotton wood soaking. yes I know its not ideal more of a "soft hardwood" but out here there that or line or aspen. I also like “hunting” for it. for rocks I will do the same find interesting pieces. if all else fails I will order stones and driftwood.

water:
I will be using my tap water 300TDS its well water so I think it should do good. might also mix so RO or even RODI into the mix( I have a 6 stage unit for my reefs) if I feel the need. I am hoping the plants will “tell” me. I am looking forward to the relative easy of WC without mixing salt. maybe I am wrong here to and WC will still be a choir?

Filtration:
oh I debated this for weeks, as well ,like any new comer should right. coming SW sumps made more since to me, but also wanted to branch out (pun intended) + have as little equipment in the DT as possible.
so In the end I decided on a canister filter. why? less tanks set up looks cleaner? easy of moving. now just have to not set up that 10G tank..haha
so I believe I am going with the sun sun 404B. the price point, easy of use, user reviews lead me down this rd over the Eheim pro4+ 350
in the end I just needed to make a choice. I am aware the the UV can damage the trays if left on 24/7. I will not do that.

Filter media:
bio=pumice
mechanical= reuse sponge
fine poly floss to polish water.
will use carbon/ chemipure or the like in small bags if needed.

Lighting:
another hot topic of debate. but what I believe is the “right” light for me is the Beams work DA fspec. along with the dimmer. I will start out with 1 unit then get another in a month or so if I fell the need. but prob. will. I may also look in to the TC 421 controller but more research needs to be done there. for now basic on/off with dimming is all I really need.

C02:
oh man I was all over the place here being a complete noobie to CO2 hours and hours was spend online researching coming up with a affordable option reading threads/reviews etc. like everyone I wanted a quality piece of equipment that works and reliable for years to come. so many options to choose from, from DIY to plug in play. low end to ultra high end, single stage to double. in the end I keep coming back to the GLA single stage unit its more $$ than I was hoping to spend on a reg. but from what I hear there CS is top notch and a 3 year warranty. of course I am still open to options. brewing regs DIY etc.

CO2 goodies:
looking at a 5 or 10# cylinder or just do the swap out. not a100% sure there yet. as far as diffusing I will use a DIY reactor.

heating:
was a little unsure about the inline heaters, but after reading reviews on here about the hydor inline heater that is the way I am going to go. keep the Ehiem heater out of the DT. also would like an inkbird temp controller.

Stand:
I have a 40/40 metal stand from petco that I might use depending on where I end up setting this up. if not I will DIY and 2x4 or plywood stand. leaning towards an ADA style plywood stand.
might go next to my reef so I will make it shorter maybe only 24” we shall see.

been focusing more on equipment. but here is what I am thinking.tons more research will be needed!

Flora:
not 100% sure on the type/types of moss to cover the Dw with but I would like a tight full moss. more research will be needed here.

java ferns, small leafy plants and a ground cover of MC and or dwarf grass.
also will plant some red stems in the back.

Fauna:
need to understand FW stocking a lot better but I am thinking a nice school of neon tetras 15ish. with a few other small schools of fish like 3-5 fish of CPD or CBD what is that website for stocking FW tanks? to see your bioload…

CUC clean up crew:
blue shrimp and a few snails

Plan
spend lots of my hard earned money on equipment! haha
de-rim 40br tank ad glass brace. build stand/use what I have.
collect more DW and rock.
build aquascape decide I dont like it. restart repeat 10X
get plants online no LFS around
blend moss and paint on DW and some rocks
plant ground cover and other plants
start DSM
one month later flood tank.
do fish less cycle
add fish after done
enjoy beautiful planted tank!

thanks for stopping by everyone. i'll be updating this as I go along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds good from start to finish. I'm my opinion C02 is the first priority for spending. You can add another filter... you can add another light... you can add hardscape... C02 equipment is buy it once and be done.
Williak and Williak like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Sounds good from start to finish. I'm my opinion C02 is the first priority for spending. You can add another filter... you can add another light... you can add hardscape... C02 equipment is buy it once and be done.
yes I agree, I am surprised more ppl just go with Co2 I know you can have a nice low tech tank but from the reading and youtube videos I watched having Co2 just make things easier...I'll let you know in a few months if that is true. haha

I ordered a heavy duty RODI housing yesterday with a pressure release valve for my DIY reactor.
was about to order other goodies be then realized I will be out of town for 13 days come 1st of march, so dont want them setting around.

I did find a tractor supply somewhat near me was only 50 min drive each way. but I got 2 50# bags of BDBS

on a side note I found a 4'+ pices of glass tubing and the local restore I was about to try to make my reactor out of that as a "show reactor" maybe with some led lights for night time mood and all. but then thought about it more and decided it was a flood hazard...damn logic
but check it out..

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would have made a sweet reactor right!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That would be pretty cool with some color changing LED lights behind it!! Caps on each end probably wouldn't be too bad, but the input for the C02 might be tricky... unless you connected some PVC there and just went pvc to upper cap. I wouldnt try it, but I get nervous messing with glass.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@TheDude1 my thoughts to! when I saw it I was like i'll build a "show" reactor with colored led on a remote for mood lighting and display the thing. got it home and started thinking about it. that 'sa lot of water in a thing glass tube + whats in the canister and tank. if there was a crack or break alot of water would go everywhere. so in the end I decided to be safe.

I still plan use it to make a strip led light tho.

going to go hunting for more DW and rocks today. there's alot of snow out so the rocks might be hard to find what I am looking for we shall see.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:40 AM
Algae Grower

Nice start and great planning too!

You could always do a reactor for something like purigen, just reduce your scale a bit. Could always do that with a smaller second canister filter.

I too have come from reefs to the planted side. Sorry to say but just got tired of mixing batches of saltwater for WC. lol I have a build thread from some years ago on RC on a 40b that I had setup, sadly retired now.

But learning about everything dealing with a planted tank is...quite a bit. I just got my 40 breeder started up and am keeping it low tech, so no CO2. But for my pace the plants grow so I'm not overwhelmed with keeping up pruning them constantly. One thing for sure - they do grow much faster then any coral I ever had!

The sunsun is a nice large canister filter. I also skipped the UV as I don't need my trays melting. You really can fill them up! I think mine took about 5 gallons and it is heavy, so take that into account when designing your stand. I have my Eheim in the tank right next to my intake tube and it really isn't too noticeable. I considered the Hydor inline heaters but they seemed to have an uncomfortable failure rate (at least on the Amazon reviews) so decided to stick with the heater in the tank.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aframomum View Post
Nice start and great planning too!

You could always do a reactor for something like purigen, just reduce your scale a bit. Could always do that with a smaller second canister filter.

I too have come from reefs to the planted side. Sorry to say but just got tired of mixing batches of saltwater for WC. lol I have a build thread from some years ago on RC on a 40b that I had setup, sadly retired now.

But learning about everything dealing with a planted tank is...quite a bit. I just got my 40 breeder started up and am keeping it low tech, so no CO2. But for my pace the plants grow so I'm not overwhelmed with keeping up pruning them constantly. One thing for sure - they do grow much faster then any coral I ever had!

The sunsun is a nice large canister filter. I also skipped the UV as I don't need my trays melting. You really can fill them up! I think mine took about 5 gallons and it is heavy, so take that into account when designing your stand. I have my Eheim in the tank right next to my intake tube and it really isn't too noticeable. I considered the Hydor inline heaters but they seemed to have an uncomfortable failure rate (at least on the Amazon reviews) so decided to stick with the heater in the tank.
Hey thanks for stopping by my build thread.
yeah I hear you mixing up SW can be a pain I just got gone doing a WC on my 90reef that needs some love...

I have heard the sunsun UV can melt the trays and should only be used for a few hrs at a time.
good point on the weight for the filter. i'll keep that in mind.

ha I was thinking the same on reading the reviews on the hydor inline heater on Amazon but ppl on here seem to like them. i will prob run a inkbird temp controller just in case or expand my Apex with the PM1 module and a 2nd EB8 then i can get real high tech...not sure if that's a good thing or not?? I know it will not be for my bank balance. lol
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

More progress...
I got the reactor housing in. It is nice and heavy duty.
But now I leave to Philly for 13 days.
Hopefully I can find some nice hard DW out there or cotton wood it will be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

The stocking website I use is aqadvisor.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ah yes I found aqadvisor. looks like I can have a nice school of neon tetras along with a cpl smaller schooling groups and 1 or 2 show fish. not 100% sure what I want yet besides neon terras. maybe some CPD and chilli?

for the "show" fish I might get a betta but more research will be needed. as I want shrimp too.

in other tank news I did order my LED lighting. still went with 1 beamswork fspec and one DHL. I would like to get the
TC -421 controller but need more info on that.

will order the canister filter and hope to still find some free wild DW out here in the philly area...
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I was born in the yurt village in Jackson Hole and my dad built many of those yurts.
quite an experience.
Anyway thats off topic from your post but I saw grand-tetons and had to say something

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
I was born in the yurt village in Jackson Hole and my dad built many of those yurts.
quite an experience.
Anyway thats off topic from your post but I saw grand-tetons and had to say something
nice! how cool what a way to come into this beautiful world!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
ah yes I found aqadvisor. looks like I can have a nice school of neon tetras along with a cpl smaller schooling groups and 1 or 2 show fish. not 100% sure what I want yet besides neon terras. maybe some CPD and chilli?

for the "show" fish I might get a betta but more research will be needed. as I want shrimp too.

in other tank news I did order my LED lighting. still went with 1 beamswork fspec and one DHL. I would like to get the
TC -421 controller but need more info on that.

will order the canister filter and hope to still find some free wild DW out here in the philly area...
It's been my experience that as long as you are willing to commit to the husbandry (weekly water changes and emergency changes if you disturb enough substrate) that you can stock much higher than Aqadvisor suggests. Im sure its just a middle of the road guideline to get you in the ballpark. I only mention that as Neons are quite possibly my favorite fish. I have a group of 150 in my 150 gallon along with large schools of 4 other species of tetras and a group of about 85 consisting of cardinals and Neons in one of my 75 gallon tanks in addition to my two tanks I am setting up to try to breed them. Their behaviour is remarkably different in large schools as is their hardiness. I can elaborate more if you are interested. My main points on the topic are this
1. Do not be discouraged by early losses. I observe them for a substantial period of time looking for damaged fins, spots, aberrations in their color, listlessness, and their tendency to shoal in the group. If I spot any of these characteristics I don't buy them. Don't assume you can treat them. Even a small case of fin rot or fungus arising from stress in shipping wipes them out very quickly. A day or two at best and it will rip through your group.
Do you have a quarantine tank? Or will these be your first addition?
2. Buy a big group and hopefully you can observe them first. I don't like it, but I cull heavily in the first few hours. If there are any of the above mentioned signs they are euthanized. In a 40B I think you would do well with a group of 40 or even more. In large groups they are fearless hunters though. They will definately eat shrimplets so plant densely and maybe get the population going in another tank so that you can continuously seed the main tank.
In my main display tank they swarm into a tight little group whenever I approach the tank. Obviously hoping for another feeding of daphnia or BBS. Think killer bee style. It's really cool, but they have to be in big groups. Put in enough Neons and you won't want to bother with a Betta. Dwarf cichlids would be cool and occupy a different area. They would also encourage the Neons to stay in a tighter grouping.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I know I said I was only gonna start off with 1- 36" beamswork then add a 2nd once i get going . but decided to just start off with 2 from the get go, or at least have 2. still thinking of doing the DSM with a nice carpeting plant like MC or DHG.
I think it will all come down to trimming with my schedule...if I can do a full month of DSM

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode