Puff's 55 gallon photo journal update - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
Puff's 55 gallon photo journal update

Well as some of you may remember, or not lol My 55 gallon was kinda ok but nothing fancy....well I'm glad to say that it is not still nothing fancy lol With the way my lights are now, its hard to get a picture that the plants aren't over exposed with lights, so there going to be ultra bright. Sorry for the bad pics, I blame them on myself haha. I just recieved some plants from Opsy (thanks man!) so the tank looks empty untill the plants start growing and I can prune them and make more plants lol. Anyways my goal is to have some of the bottom covered with the dwarf sag thats in there, and the other half of the right side to be completely full of stem plants. Anyways heres the tank in August

and heres the tank after i've moved both 55 watt kits to the right side of the tank and stuff.

Last edited by pufferfreak; 12-14-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
why did you move the lights?

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well, I THOUGH the plants wasnt growing (wisteria) because the light wasnt enough, because I believed that when wisteria doesnt get enough light, it creaps along the bottom, and after I moved the lights to one side, I found out that the wisteria grows up if it dont get enough light haha. But he dwarf sag wasnt growing and I really wanted a carpet of it. Plus I like the effect of it being dark around the big peice of wood lol.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Dont be fooled people, this is not a thread to show how my tank is all nice and grown in and stuff, its a add on of my photo journal I did a while ago. I figured I'd start a new one since once these plants start growing good the tank should fill out nicely. I think what i'm going to do is, have the H. Polysperma grow from the front right side and feel in the back right corner and curve around to the back wall of the tank, then go into the water sprite growing along the back wall as far as possible, and let the dwarf sag grow as much as possible.......any thoughs to help the tank look better? with that idea?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well i'm posting alot to my own thread! lol. Anyways, i'm not sure about you guys, but I like seeing a young tank such as this and watching the plants grow in and everything, thats why I made this thread. Shouldn't be too long for these plants to grow in
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Pufferfreak, I tried growing Hygro difformis, and it NEVER grew tall. It was in high light and not shaded at all, it grew very slowly with short internodes.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Mine just grow along the bottom, I gave all my plants (about 15 of them) to my friend to grow in his 55 that has very low light, I had a bunch of yellowing (iron def.) in my 55....I thought this was supposted to be a easy plant to have lol
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:59 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I know it took my dwarf sags a while to get established, but once they did...KABOOM! They eventually took over the entire middle of my tank and started hiding the my lower, midtank focal plant. So, I ripped out a big chunk of them.

As to H. difformis, I've only recently added it. It started off low and spreading. I snipped off any internode roots I saw popping out. Now, it appears to be raising up fairly nicely.

With the few number of plants currently in the tank are you having any algae problems? Are you keeping dosing levels fairly low to avoid problems?

Brian.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Actually now that my green water as cleared up (after pulling up H. difformis and adding my other plants) I have NO ALGAE! NONE! My tank is clear as crap and the plants are growing nicely, I dont keep track of nutrients levels at all, I just do a 50-75% water change each week. I am getting a pressorized CO2 system for x-mas (just ordered it) So my plants should really take off now! With only 2wpg, I dont really think I need to dose. I'm looking for a P and a NO3 test kit also to keep those levels perfect.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man, I love that wood you've got in there. I think your tank would look great with just carpet plants and that large wood as the main feature. But I'm interested to see how the stem plants you've got in mind turn out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The dwarf sag will be the main focal point I guess since it will take up most of the tank and the "bush" of plants on the right won't be that big. Mainly there to use up nutrients lol. If I could somehow have the dwarf sag around the big wood, I would but it sticks so much out of the tank that it would be super hard to get light all the way around it, I would have to completely re do the tank and I dont feel like doing that lol. I'm going to take a new pic tonight after I do a water change and trim the plants (I know, they dont need it but there bending over and the roots on the stems are touching the flourite) so I'm going to make a bunch of little plants! lol Anyways you can see on the little wood on the right, where it starts to extrude from the flourite is the boundry between stem plants and the carpet. I'm going to let the stem plants wrap around the back of that wood and go about half way maybe, or just leave the corner part the bush and try to get some x-mas moss growing on the back...wont be much but over time lol
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufferfreak
My tank is clear as crap and the plants are growing nicely,.

Clear as crap, eh? j/k

Do you plan to keep both lights at one side like that? The effect looks nice but the wood side of the tank feels a bit bare. I, too, am waiting for my dwarf sag to take off.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes I plan to keep the lights on the right side. Actually I am looking for that open area around the big peice of wood like that, and then the plants on the other. My dwarf sag would not grow under just 55 watts untill I added the other 55 watt kit on the other side. About a week or two later my plants are growing good, and now that i'm getting pressorized CO2, my plants should take off fast! It should look good once the plants fill in. All my hardware are behind that big peice of wood you see there, funny huh? lol
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
maybe you could add a single NO strip with a GE P&A to the empty side to give it just a little highlight. the differing colors on each side of the tank makes for a nice "shadow" effect but you can still see what's going on. I did this on my mbuna tank with a P&A on one side, and a 6700k on the other, and i really dig the way it looks.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

surprizeing, when your actually looking at the tank, you can see perfectly whats going on, on the "dark" side of the tank, but the tank gets washed out and over exposed when taking pictures.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode