New 75 Gallon, Future Rainbowfish Community Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 75 Gallon, Future Rainbowfish Community Tank

75 Gallon, low tech, future Rainbowfish tank, hopefully.

I have been reading on this forum for a couple months to get ideas of what I wanted to do with this first big tank. I loved having fish tanks when I was a kid, but did nothing but kill fish. I never knew anything about cycling, or anything really. Fast forward to 2017

I had went around to my LFS about once a month for about 2 years, never buying anything, but thinking about it, and wanting to go with something big like a 75 gallon tank with a nice stand. I never pulled the trigger, as it was going to be a huge investment if all I did was murder fish.

I lost my job in April of '17 and while I was wandering around a store that sells donation items and building supplies, I saw a 29 gallon tank, plus a stand, and all the supplies for $40. I jumped at this, as it would give me something to do while I looked for work, and decided I would give this a try again, and the price was too good to say no.

I loved the idea of growing plants, as it sated my gardening needs. I decided to not do a garden that year, before I lost the job. I started with the tank up, and added a bunch of plants, and did a fishless cycle. I have had the 29 gallon running for about 10 months, and everything went pretty well. I decided now was the time to jump to the big tank I have wanted.

I found a used 75 gallon tank, and had to reseal it, which was way more work than I had originally planned. It was also covered in calcium as it was a reef tank in its former life. If I had to do this again, I would not have done this used one, and saved myself the hours of work and just purchased a new 75 gallon. With the tank all good to go, I just had to wait on the stand which came in last week.

The build.
ē Tank
o 75 gallon
ē Light
o Fluval Plant 3.0 is coming in tomorrow
ē Filtration
o Hydor 450 at startup
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
o Once I am able to decommission the 29 gallon, I will be adding the Cascade 1000 to the 75 gallon for two filters, with the Cascade running the Fluval surface skimmer attachment.
ē Heaters
o 2 Aqueon 250 Watt heaters, one on each end, which will be the two sides of the intakes of the filters once both are set up
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ē Substrate
o I mixed a little of everything I have seen on this forum. I liked the idea of ADA aquasoil, but I donít have much in the way of access, plus the cost for a tank this size. Maybe someday, or my next tank I will just bite the bullet. As it stands, I used :
o I mixed all of the below:
 EcoComplete
 Fluval Stratum
 Seacham Black Flourite Sand
o In the Flo-Cells. I was trying to recreate the idea of power sand, without all the expense and the shipping. Probably didnít need any more than just the lava rock, but I had extra of quite a few things, and it didnít cost that much more to try all the other stuff too.
 Lava Rock
 Seacham Matrix
 Some ceramic Bio Media
 Osmocote+ spread out sparingly across the bottom layer.
 Laterite 1 box
ē Hardscape
o
Seiryu Stone
o Mopani Driftwood
o Random other driftwood
o Spiderwood
o Fake Spiderwood tree
ē Style: Grab bag
o
I love the way Iwagume tanks look, but I didnít want to go that hardcore. Most of those are designed to be sparse, and not a ton of fish, and this is still a fish tank for me first.
o Jungle style was also a little to hardcore for me on how they look and how much hardscape you need.
o Really it wonít be either at all, it will just borrow some things I like, and be a planted tank, with fish.
o I am also not artistic in any way. I donít invent, I copy. If I see something, I can copy it. Maybe change it a little. But I donít have the artistic side to my brain. Same in woodworking.
ē Structure
o
I watched the videos from Dennis Wong that I ended up finding through this forum, and I mimicked that technique, by using Flo-Cells.
I built up the area I wanted to stack stones. I only had a bunch of small stones but wanted to make something that at least resembled all the awesome Iwagume aquascapes Iíve seen.
ē Plants
o
Micro Sword Ė Going to attempt to carpet with this. I have like the look of aquariums Iíve seen with it. Hopefully it will do fine without CO2.
o Anubias Nana- will attach to driftwood and rocks
o Java Fern. I have about 20 growing in my 29-gallon tank.
o Probably some Jungle Val from my 29
o Possibly some of the Dwarf Hair Grass that has been in the 29 for most of the year. Didnít really thrive, probably from not being a CO2 tank, but itís all still around.
o Really contemplating some kind of moss, to attach to some of the rocks, but donít really know what kind. Havenít researched that enough.
ē Livestock
o Future
Rainbows. I really like the Bosemani rainbows, and seeing Greggz tank made me really want them. My only concern is that I really love having the bunch of Amano shrimp I have, and I have heard mixed results on the shrimp being eaten. I want 6 to 10 of these.
o Current Ė In the 29, will all be transferred
6 Harlequin Raspboras, might take this to 10 or so.
 3 neon Tetras Ė used to be 6, had an issue with an ammonia spike when I installed the new canister filter, and killed the others. I will likely replenish this to 5 to 10
 1 Pleco, the store had it listed as L144 Blue Eyed Lemon, not sure.
 2 Albino Corys. Want to get this to 4 to 6
 2 Peppered Corys, again probably move this to about 4 to 6
 10 Amano Shrimp
 6 nerite snails
I have all the hardscape set up, and all the substrate in. I should be ready to install the light tomorrow, and likely start planting this week. I have all the plants sitting around in my 29, and my temp quarantine tank now, ready to make the move.
I will update this as I move forward. Any suggestions or comments, I am welcome to them.

Pictures
https://imgur.com/a/KRwaJ

Current 29 gallon with guest appearance by Charlie.

Tank and stand first night

Background installed

Attempts at driftwood layout

Test Layout of rocks

Structure and bottom layer and lavarock in

Rocks installed

Ready for planting

Last edited by efoeday; 03-09-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: readability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First Fill

First Fill on the new tank. Hooked up the filter for the first time. This thing is completely silent, I'm impressed.

Can probably start some of my planting tomorrow.

Greggz, Greggz, Burrus555 and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great start on the hardscape. Personally I would ditch the background. It will take away from your tank once planted. Why have a picture of fake plants when you've got the real deal? If anything get a black background.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Greggz, Greggz, Williak and 5 others like this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.

I was afraid the black background would show the leftover calcium from it being a reef tank in its previous life. I was not able to remove it all, no matter what i tried. I tried everything known to man to try and remove it, other than polishing the glass. I drew the line there. My hope is that the real plants will overshadow the background, and either give some false depth, or not even really be noticeable. I have a few background/stem plants coming, that should cover up most of it.

Some of the planting done. So far, here is what i have planted.
Micro Sword, attempting to make it a carpet
Anubia Nana all over the place, i think 10 of them.
Java Fern pulled from my 29 gallon tank. I still have quite a few to pull from the old tank.
Some hitchhiker moss, not sure the kind. looks like christmas tree.

I will take some better pics tomorrow once the bubbles go away, and it settles down in there.

Greggz, Greggz, ChrisX and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First planting done, better picture

Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 4 others like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like a great start.

Looking forward to seeing how it fills in.

And the Bows will make it even nicer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good! I second removing the background, makes it look cluttered.

You can use a fast growing creeping plant to cover the background. I have been experimenting with Water Sprite attached to the rear glass using suction cups. Water Sprite is fast growing water column feeder and can be trimmed into various shapes. Some people use moss wall, but with low tech tank, I'm not sure what will grow. The point is that there are ways to cover the back of the tank to hide stains that don't involve a background.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finished planting the new 75 gallon. there are so many plants in here, i have no idea how i could get more. Hopefully they actually grow.

Fully planted 75 gallon.

29 gallon now that i have removed a bunch of the plants to put in the 75 gallon. Also seeding some media for the new filter coming in tomorrow for the 75 gallon.

Bump: Plants added. As they establish, i will have to chronical individual plants and how they progress. Its very hard to pick many out with just one front picture.

Bronze Crypt Wendtii
Ludwigia Ovalis
Bacopa caroliniana ' Yellow flame'
Ludwigia Repens
Alternanthera Reineckii
Flame Moss
Christmas Moss
Dwarf Sag
Red Flame Sword
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Put about 5 Jungle Val in the 75 gallon, it can/will grow in.

Filters
Eheim 2213 on the 20 gallon hospital/quarantine/ plant grow out tank
Hydor 450 for the 75 gallon

29 gallon looking pretty empty.
Pulled Dwarf Hair grass, huge chunk of Java Fern, 5 chunks of Jungle Val, Anubias (Barteri?),

Quarantine/hospital/plant grow out 20 gallon tank
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I may have to get inventive. I ordered 30 Amano shrimp, over the weekend. I hadnt really done the math on how long it would take to cycle and stabilize the new tank. Its more than double the size of my existing tank, so it isnt surprising that its not cycled still. It's really only been a week.

My 20 gallon quarantine tank has 8 small cory's in it, and 4 Amano shrimp i happened to find at Petsway last weekend. My 29 gallon tank is pretty heavily stocked as it always is. I now have to find a place to put 30 Amano shrimp, until i can stabilize the 75 gallon.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some new growth from the plants added over the weekend.

Tank is fully cycled as of tonight.

Night shot after about a week since it was fully planted and cycling.

Ludwigia on the right, some AR sticking out from behind the moss

I believe this is the bacopa carolinia yellow flame

AR new growth behind the moss

bronze crypt wendtii

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You might be sick of hearing it.... but that background is really detracting from the look. One of my 75 gallons had a 3d foam background siliconed to it. When it came loose I tossed it's but couldn't get all the massive globs of silicone off... it looked terrible. I used black egg crate as a background and tied java fern and anubias in different spots... the back of my tank is 1000 times worse than yours.. here it is now. Cost me about $10 for the blafk egg crate.

This is it a few weeks ago and you have to look pretty hard to see the silicone. I added more java fern since then and you can't see anything now.
It looks like it's growing in really well!! The black background creates the negative space needed to really show off your growth. Trust me it will look alot better.
ChrisX, ChrisX and sittinglynx like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some progress.

getting pretty good growth on all the stem plants. I got a second Fluval Plant 3.0 to help with the carpeting plants. They were really being neglected.

I am still using my seachem ferts and Excel. Once the liquid runs out, i will start mixing dry ferts.

All my other livestock made it over and are doing good. Its time to purchase some rainbows now. Ive been looking at a few places online, trying to find some that will let you choose the sex. After seeing Greggz tank, I would really like an all male tank.

I am also doing a timelapse of the tank, since the camera isnt doing anything anyways.

3-6-18

Bump: Forgot I didnt update since i was able to add some to the tank. These all went in last week, and so far everyone is doing great.

I added 35 or so Amano shrimp last week.
I found 4 Oto's at my LFS, so I added those
I added about 10 Zebra and Tiger Nerite snails

Pleco hiding in new rock formation

Amano Shrimp
Greggz, Greggz and sittinglynx like this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think you're asking for trouble with that much light and no CO2.
Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

|
|
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had wondered that. Algae, or just the plants stalling out because they use up what available CO2 they have?

Right now i dont have enough algae for all the algae eaters. everything is completely clean all the time. I am afraid I'm starving some of the inhabitants by making too big a clean up crew too early.

I was going to feel it out some. I have the ability to tone them both down, and dont need to run them at 100%. My problem was that it didnt feel like any one light was going to get enough coverage to do what i wanted with it. Namely carpeting of any kind as the light is in the low end of low light with that much depth and offset.

I'm also not 100% opposed to ending up going down the CO2 route eventually, but would like to try without it. I know me and my tendency to obsess and go overboard. So i was trying to limit the extra equipment and learning curve if at all possible.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in