• 2 Post By ProndFarms
  • 2 Post By rainbowcory
  • 2 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face My 75 gallon journey

I have a newer low-tech 75 gallon with rainbowfish, cories, and a gourami. I'm new to the hobby and very new to planted tanks, so I appreciate any help! I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm also new to this website, so I apologize for any format issues in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm having a hard time uploading images, so here's my imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/jOhHp

Story time: My dad initially had a 55 gallon that he took care of, which I liked, but didn't really know much about. Fish in his tank died pretty frequently and he never knew how to help them, so I usually jumped in to help. I realized pretty quickly that the fish weren't being taken care of properly. Small water changes were done every month or two, he was overfeeding fish to an extreme, not quarantining or looking for signs of illness, didn't test water or understand the nitrogen cycle, etc... He really didn't pay much attention to the fish and wouldn't notice when they died, which would cause ammonia spikes and more fish would die. I eventually talked with him about it and we decided it would be best if I took over the fish tank, which was just a few months ago.

I soon learned that the 55 had a long crack going up the side of it from a faulty stand, so I had to replace the tank. I upgraded the fish to a 75 and used cinderblocks and wood for a stand. I switched the substrate from painted gravel to sand for the corydoras. I took out the fake plants and started live ones. I kept some of the resin decorations because I think they'll look cool when the plants grow in more.

The fish are now doing great and I'm working on getting the fish up to their proper schools. I'm currently struggling with the plant aspect of this tank. I bought this light for the tank, https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Tim...70_&dpSrc=srch, which I believe would be considered "low light." I have water sprite, swords, anubias, java fern, java moss, moss balls and some anarcharis. I have killed quite a few plants and the ones in there now seem to be doing ok, but not great. I was using Seachem Flourish once a week, but the plants seemed like they needed more, so I bought the dry fertilizer Macro Mix from aquariumfertilizer, which was probably a mistake. The mix uses equal parts KNO3, MgSO4, K2SO4, and MKP. I take 1/4 cup of this mix and dilute it to 2 cups of water. I then use 5 mL of the mix every nearly every day (I dose Flourish once a week to get micros), which is the smallest recommendation on the directions. After some research, I've learned that this is problematic because the macros are all needed in different ratios. I'm considering getting a new mix from Nilocg, but it's a little expensive, so I'm waiting and hoping to find a cheaper option. I also use osmocote root tabs under the swords.

Any comments would be very helpful! My goal is to have this tank filled with easy, low-tech plants that the fish can interact with and hide in. I think I really need help with fertilizers and finding a good dosing schedule, the most. Plant suggestions are also welcome. I'm considering getting jungle vals to provide more shelter for the fish soon.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowcory View Post
I have a newer low-tech 75 gallon with rainbowfish, cories, and a gourami. I'm new to the hobby and very new to planted tanks, so I appreciate any help! I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm also new to this website, so I apologize for any format issues in advance.
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new setup. I am also very glad to see you have some bows in your setup. There are quite a few people in this forum with extensive knowledge, be sure to ask as many questions as you can along the way.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Greggz and Greggz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fish stock:
4 Australian Rainbowfish
2 Turquoise Rainbowfish
9 Albino Corydoras
1 black skirt tetra
1 opaline gourami
1 ivory mystery snail

Plant stock:
Water sprite
Java Fern
Anubias
Java moss
Marimo Moss balls
Anacharis

I want to get the schools of rainbowfish up to at least 5-6 each. I don't know if I'll be getting more tetras yet because this guy is really old and I have witnessed black skirt tetras attack and kill each other in the past in my dad's old tank. I may try to rehome him, but I don't expect him to live that long because he's the oldest fish in the tank at 5ish years old. For plants, I'm hoping to add water wisteria and jungle val.

Bump: Thanks! They're really some great looking fish with neat personalities. I've been working on stocking up on these guys because there were only 2 originals. I have way too many males right now and will be getting more females ASAP because the boys are being pretty nippy with each other right now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Bump: Thanks! They're really some great looking fish with neat personalities. I've been working on stocking up on these guys because there were only 2 originals. I have way too many males right now and will be getting more females ASAP because the boys are being pretty nippy with each other right now.
Also glad to see another Rainbow fish tank on the board.

I look forward to seeing how the tank develops.

And getting more females won't likely decrease aggression. Just getting more in general will help.

I keep a 120G with Rainbows and my tank is all males. No problem with aggression, but you will always have the usual sparring and flashing. It's normal. But the good news is no one usually gets hurt.

Good luck and I'll be following.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
And getting more females won't likely decrease aggression. Just getting more in general will help.
Good to know, thanks! I've heard some people say 1 male for every 2 females. Right now, I have a couple juveniles establishing dominance that have me worried, but I think they're just working out the hierarchy. There are some torn fins, though. I think I have 4 males and 2 females, so I'm hoping an even mix will be a little less stressful for the limited females during breeding, too. I've also seen your youtube videos and your tank is seriously amazing! I'm very jealous and hope to have something that great one day.

Does anyone have tips for sexing turquoise rainbowfish? I got this one recently that has me stumped: https://imgur.com/a/al5bx I thought for sure that it was a female because of the slim body, less colors, and curved fins, but now it's really been showing a lot of color since getting into the big tank.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Does anyone have tips for sexing turquoise rainbowfish? I got this one recently that has me stumped: https://imgur.com/a/al5bx I thought for sure that it was a female because of the slim body, less colors, and curved fins, but now it's really been showing a lot of color since getting into the big tank.
Based on that picture pretty sure that is a male.

Give it a little more time and you will know for sure.

If you see it flashing/sparring with other males, you will be sure.
rainbowcory and rainbowcory like this.

---
---
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank and fish update: https://imgur.com/a/Q8DCb
Stock is up to:
6 Australian rainbows
3 Turquoise rainbows
9 cories
1 Gourami
1 lonely, old tetra

I changed up the layout of the tank and I think I'm liking it a lot more than the last one. I also added one hornwort plant that has really taken off. The rainbows absolutely love this stuff. They lay eggs in it, eat it, and use it to hide from each other. I really like how it's broken up the lines of sight in the tank and provides shelter for new additions. The dominance issues have also seemed to get a lot better over time. I'm planning on adding 2 more female turquoise rainbows to the group sometime soon, which will be my final stocking for the tank.

Tags
75 gallon, corydora, fertilizer, low tech, rainbowfish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode