Steve's New Tank 56k+ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Steve's New Tank 56k+

Just wanted to thank everyone on these boards for these past few weeks, advising me on my new tank setup. This is a 50g acrylic, 36x15x20, 96w AH Supply, 100 Flourite. Check my signature for other details. Plants and fish are transplants from old Eclipse tank (angels are enjoying new space). Just threw the plants in for now in a basic arrangement, to let the tank establish itself until after I return from vacation. I'll also wait until I return to town to start ferts. Enjoy the pics -- any further comments or advice are welcome, of course

Last edited by motifone; 12-13-2004 at 12:37 AM. Reason: wrong pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:49 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Definately no shortcuts on that setup... should be a very nice tank when all is said and done.
One thing that caught my eye was the timer...I use the same and I see you got that thing going on and off a few times it seems? Umm, why ?

Great setup and have a great vacation !
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is a very well designed set up. I use the same CO2 system and love it, although I can only dream of an acrylic tank It looks great, can't wait to it when it grows out.

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the encouraging words, guys. Couldn't have done this tank without all the help on the board.

Buck, good eye! Actually, I haven't set the timer up yet. Yes, the timer is plugged into the power strip, but the lights are presently just plugged into the main outlet. I'll be setting up the timer tonight. Probably 10 hours on time when I'm away at least.

Travis, yes, I'll have to be careful with acrylic. My old tank was acrylic, too, but any of the fine hairline scratches I may have made on the inside tank walls never showed up under water When photographing the tank, it was funny how some of the pics came out. For example, the close up of the angels looking in from the front makes the front to back reach of the tank look only to be about 7", when it is actually 15"

After I get the tank establised and get my feet wet, I'll try some more demanding plants and really fill it in. I know the Wisteria is going to go hog wild under 96w (already pearling) and will keep the cycle under control. I've left some space in my canopy for the addition of maybe more light in the future (perhaps my left over AH Supply 36w kit or more), but I'll ride out the AH Supply 96w for now.

I like the Eheim Installation Kit 2 for outtake. You can aim the flow holes in any direction (vary direction along the horizontal) or use the tubes vertical as well at the same time, like in this setup.

As a helpful idea to other newbies, I also added some sticky cushion pads on the bottom edges of my canopy (See pic) to prevent scraping top of tank. And, along the bottom of the cabinet, I put down a layer of plastic and (over that) a layer of grip material -- to stop any splashes/leaks from contacting the wood floor of the stand and causing damage. I need to add some velcro probably to secure the CO2 tank to wall.

The only things that had me wondering were:

1) The green "grounded" light on my surge protector isn't lit up. I'm wondering if it has something to do with it being plugged into the yellow GFCI protector.
2) When I tightened the nut on the regulator, once pretty tight, the whole regulator kind of turned with the nut, therefore the tilted angle of the regulator. Not sure if that matters.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's funny, I've also got one of the AHSupply 96w Bright Kits on my 30G with their pine canopy. That is the brightest 96w CF fixture I've ever seen. I'm definitely going with them for any future fixture purchases.

On the JBJ regulator - you're fine as long as it's tight. In fact I've seen several other pics of JBJs that look exactly like yours. One thing I was warned about with CO2 regs is not to use plumber's tape to seal them. If you do, there is a chance that a small piece of it can get sucked into the reg and clog it very well. I've never heard of it happening, but I'm not ready to find out either

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

That'll be a great setup, Steve.

By the way, I think your Wisteria is really WaterSprite.

John P.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

doh! John P...

thanks for the correction. Yes, it is indeed meant to say Water Sprite!

travis,

yeh, the 96w is a bright one. the pics don't do it justice (it's probably twice as bright as the pics, due to the flash)
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

motifone:

You might want to strap down the CO2. Evil things happen when they tip.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

blueram

thanks for the tip. strapped it down last night with some velcro
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:43 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Steve - looks like a super start. One thought that hit me was you might want to group the vals a bit so as to leave some space along the back of the tank for another tall growing background plant.

As the water wisteria (H. difformis) versus water sprite (Ceratopeteris thalictroides), how does one tell the difference? I believe I have wisteria, but just now looking up water sprite in my Kasselmann's book, they sure do look similar. Perhaps the sprite is a bit thinner looking?

Brian.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:01 AM

Wisteria has a broader leaf pattern then does the watersprite but these plants can look kinda similar under different conditions. If you grow Watersprite under low watts it will not hold as tight a pattern as you see in most photos.
Same with the wisteria in higher watts... it is still a broader leaf but the pattern tightens up a bit.
I like both wisteria and watersprite
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A note on Watersprite (C. thalictroides): it is a fern and will produce adventitious plantlets in the leaf margins of older leaves. You'll notice these plantlets growing roots and eventually floating free of the old leaves. I've also noticed that my Watersprite has a more yellowish coloration than my Wisteria (H. difformis) and has very 'woody' looking stems that have a vertical grain pattern to them. They're much more brittle than Wisteria which, as far as I can tell, is impossible to kill or even do much damage to. I left a tiny (3-5mm) piece of Wisteria root laying on my substrate out of curiosity when I removed all of the Wisteria from my tank. I forgot about it but, after a couple of weeks, I noticed a healthy new plant growing where it had been. That stuff simply refuses to die!

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

BSS -- thanks for the compliments. Yeh, my setup is a pretty safe layout now. nothing particularly exciting, just attempting to establish the tank and get water conditions in order. Good idea about grouping the Val and makng room for others. Not sure what might work tall there -- eventually I would like to add in a sword somewhere (maybe red rubin). I know they look big though. Maybe fill out the midground middle with some crypts. I'm trying some Dwarf Sag in the front. I've seen some tanks on here with Narrow Leaf Chain (Echinodorus tennelus). I wonder if it is easier to grow.

that's funny about the water sprite vs. wisteria. I ordered what the person told me was wisteria from aquabid. He said it was wisteria. But indeed it is water sprite. Still a nice plant. A major difference I can tell (like someone else mentioned) is the fern quality of water sprite -- new stems unfurl from the base like a fern. Wisteria (at least from what I can remember really doesn't unfurl new stems).

My only problem now, being a week and a half into the tank, is some fuzz algae and longer strands (I guess hair algae) about certain plants. I hear it is normal in the first few weeks of tank development. I'm holding off on ferts til after the New Year. About 10 hours of light for now.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 07:22 PM

depressing(sort of)

Hey all, I have been taking a look at some of the posts of aquariums like the one in this post. I got to tell you all it is impressive and depressing at the same time. Very cool setups wish mine was as good. But thats ok one step at a time. Seriously very cool and motivating!! I would love to see some pics 3-6 months from now
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hi johnny

I've been keeping aquariums for some time, but this is my first serious endeavor at a serious plant tank. I think, particularly with plant tanks, the cliche "the grass is always greener" certainly applies (literally). There will always be tanks "above" us and "below" us, subjectively speaking. I'm on the ground floor taking it one step at a time, trying to educate myself before I take the leaps -- as they can be expensive. I, too, am always humbled and floored when I see a truly magnificient tank. But, like you said, definitely use those tanks you admire as a starting point, inspiration, and motivation.

I will keep this thread alive with photo updates after the holidays. Thanks for the kind words about my tank! Keep yours going!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode