New pics - my 3 strain planted discus tank ! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
New pics - my 3 strain planted discus tank !

Well, I'm a little embarassed, after having touted the wonders of a single strain tank, then weakening, and morphing to 2 strains, then 3, by adding a few Royal Red Rubys, and then 2 Flamingos after that !!!
Now, after falling a little out of of love with my Royal Ruby Reds & and adding 2 Flamingos, I've decided to to exchange my 4 3R's for 4 more Flamingos, to go back to a 2 strain tank - hoping the more "pastely" coloration will help keep my blood pressure down ?? Do you think ?

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...paul/flamingos

What do you think ?
I'll post a few more pics next week after I do the exchange for all Flamingos with the Red Snake Skins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wow - over 130 viewings & not a single comment - good or bad......

Have I said or done something out of place, offensive, or intimidating ?

I belong to 4 other Forums, have done so for much longer than this one, and posted on them many more times than here - have started many new threads on them, and posted there many, many times - but have never posted pics on them without at least a few replies.
Not looking for kudos, but simply sharing some pics for, hopefully, other fish-keepers' enjoyment & edification. I'm just wondering whether this Forum is good for me or not ?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well, I for one am jealous. Your fish and tank are gorgeous. I am a newbie to both the discus and planted tank world. I started a mixed strain of 12 baby discus in a planted 65 gallon tall tank. I am now down to 8 discus. I have battled several different ailments and I believe atleast 4 of my discus are stunted. However, I love them just the same!

Hopefully I can achieve what you have with a little patience.

Patti

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
It helps if you post the actual pictures on the first post of the journal-- i think most people won't look further if they have to follow a link/don't see any pictures.

Your tank looks great, and those discus are absolutely gorgeous! What is the red plant on the far right? I really like it. The white sand also adds nice contrast with the colors of the plants.

Anyway, I think you have a nice setup, and you'll get more positive responses from other forum members if they have pictures to directly look at when they click the link to your journal. Also, people usually like to see a "setup list", which usually consists of what your filtration/lighting/fish/plants/co2 or not/fertilizers/etc.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is a nice looking tank. The sand really brings out the colors of your discuss and plants. The details about this tank would be nice also
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you for your comments, folks.
I was beginning to think that most of the members of this forum were just skulkers, but not talkers.
And I do appreciate your helpful comments about posting details of my set-up, as well as placing pics directly on the post, so people didn't have to bother with the link to photobucket. I'm aware of that, however my tech skills are limited and I'm just learning
how to direct link photos to my posts. Hopefully, my next thread will have that facility.
In any event, these are just the kinds of comments I was looking for, and especially since this is a "planted tank" forum, some constructive criticism of my modest aquascape.
As for tank set-up details, here they are some of them:
75 gal., filtered simply by 2 AC HOB 110's, for ease of handling, cleaning, changing media, etc.
No CO2, just use root tab ferts in white silica pool filter sand, along with regular semi-weekly dosings with Excel & Flourish Comp. Supplement.
12 Juvie discus - 3" to 3.75" - along with a small school of cardinals, a few copper rasboras, cories, and amano shrimp.
50% w/c's 2-3 X/week, and the water clarity is boosted by filter floss usage, frequently changed, along with Purigen.
Other questions ? - please just ask.
Oh, & thanks for the compliments.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

P.S. to azFishKid:
The red plant is a type of Ludwigia - can't recall the name, but I do like it - it's growing well in low tech fertilizing & 2 - T5 HO X 39w. X 8 hrs./day.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
50% w/c's 2-3 X/week, and the water clarity is boosted by filter floss usage, frequently changed, along with Purigen.
Other questions ? - please just ask.
Why doing 50% 2 to 3 times a week water change?
The tank looks really good.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpo View Post
Why doing 50% 2 to 3 times a week water change?
The tank looks really good.
Discus require (demand !) frequent w/c's to grow well, quickly, & stay healthy. Most discus gurus will, and do, chide folks like me for just doing w/c's every 2nd or 3 rd day - the purists raise them in bare bottom tanks with daily w/c's up to 100% - that's not easily achieved in a planted tank - specially if you're a little lazy like me.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMR2 View Post
Well, I for one am jealous. Your fish and tank are gorgeous. I am a newbie to both the discus and planted tank world. I started a mixed strain of 12 baby discus in a planted 65 gallon tall tank. I am now down to 8 discus. I have battled several different ailments and I believe atleast 4 of my discus are stunted. However, I love them just the same!

Hopefully I can achieve what you have with a little patience.

Patti
Patti,
Baby discus are difficult to raise successfully, specially for a newbie - so I admire your attempt & perseverance. I too have battled health problems with small ones & lost my share of them in the past as well. (along with the "stunting" disappointments !)
But, keep at it, you will in fact achieve what you are looking for with some patience - that is right on !
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Discus require (demand !) frequent w/c's to grow well, quickly, & stay healthy. Most discus gurus will, and do, chide folks like me for just doing w/c's every 2nd or 3 rd day - the purists raise them in bare bottom tanks with daily w/c's up to 100% - that's not easily achieved in a planted tank - specially if you're a little lazy like me.
I see, that is good to know..I never kept discus before.
I am a big lazy when it comes to water changes, recently I am just topping off my Riparium and testing the water..ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all are 0ppm, I think the plants are taking care of the water quality, eventhough I am going to do water change this weekend.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
And I do appreciate your helpful comments about posting details of my set-up, as well as placing pics directly on the post, so people didn't have to bother with the link to photobucket. I'm aware of that, however my tech skills are limited and I'm just learning
how to direct link photos to my posts. Hopefully, my next thread will have that facility.
If you click on an image in your photobucket album, on the right side you'll see a bunch of links under "Share this Image". Copy the "IMG code" text (or just simply click on the link, which will copy it for you), and put it directly into the text box.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
As a discus purist myself I understand the need for frequent wc's ( I pulled my back out twice doing it over the years). But, and that's a big but, you can definitely grow out some healthy discus in a planted tank. Growing them to full potential, 7" or so is a stretch but can be done. Chad on SD is proof of it. With all that being said, you discus look great and just keep doing what you are doing. I can't wait to get back in the discus game (said the guy currently selling his last 3 discus....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's a very nice tank. How big is it?
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think I mentioned it's a 75 gal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode