My First 40 Gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First 40 Gal

I found the planted tank site many months ago and it inspired me to take up a hobby that I sucked at in my University years. I was never able to successfully grow any plants at University, rather I would measure my success by the length of time it took for a plant to die.

I thought I would start with a mid range tank so I found a second hand 3 foot (40 Gal) marine tank on [Ebay Link Removed]

When I got the tank I did some DIY to the stand and fitted it with a number of sockets and wired them to a single lead.

The built the tank up as follows
First building a row of rocks to stop my beach from spreading and mixing with my EcoComplete.

Putting in the EcoComplete. I baked 1/3 of my EcoComplete with some wet powdered Laterite. I spread the EcoComplete/Laterite mix in the middle third of the substrate.

Adding the sand which I took from the marine tank (after heavily washing), driftwood I found on the beach (needed to weighed down – even now 2 months later), and I also buried a number of Blood & Bone pellets where I expect plants to be growing.

This is the tank planted, and filled. I was running 4 bulbs, two of which are Actinic which makes the light look blue. I’m not running them now.

A couple of weeks later.

The plants I added here were:

3 x Amazon Swords – Still growing well 2 months on

3 x Riccia Bag – growing well as long as receiving good direct light.

2 x Hairgrass Pots – growing well although has slowed in its advance across the tank floor

1 x Corkscrew Val – Growing well, has started 5 new plants on runners.

3 x Giant Ambulia – This grows like a weed. Important to not plant to heavily otherwise lower leaves get dark and excess roots appear.

3 x Lilaeopsis Pots - Grew but infested with algae and eventually removed in favour of hairgrass across the tank floor.

2 x Anubias –Grows very slowly (well not dying yet anyway) Seem to be doing better since moving it to the driftwood.

2 x Aluminum – I learned this was not even an aquatic plant, so removed it as it didn’t die but never took root or did well.

1 x Dragon's Flame – Never took roots and removed as I did not like it.

5 - December 2010: A few weeks later I took this pic. My tank was full of snails at this point and I foolishly added a lettuce leaf to the tank in the hope they would be attracted to it and I could remove them. I had 10 glass shrimp in my tank at the time and I didn't wash the lettuce leaf before adding. In the morning I had 10 dead glass shrimp. Some nasty stuff on the food we eat.

I've made some changes since 5 Dec, and things are growing really well after some sound advice from PlantedTank Memebers.

I hope to put up some more pics early in the New Year as I'm heading away for the next 2 weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode