40B Dutch - The Planted Tank Forum
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
40B Dutch

Hi everyone!

This is my second journal in this forum. You can find my old 220-gallon jungle journal here.

The Hardware

In November 2017, I came across a craigslist ad about someone selling their unused 40 gallon breeder tank. This was perfect because I had a beautiful wooden cabinet that perfectly matched the dimensions of that tank. So, I decided to set up a new planted tank.

Hardware used in this set-up:
Eheim Classic filter
T5HO lighting fixture
Aqueon heater
CO2 regulator
Ista Inline CO2 Reactor
CO2 drop checker

I decided to go for a Dutch set up in order to challenge myself to keep up the tidy rows of plants to mimic Dutch streets. I know it requires tedious trimming, which I don't mind.

The first thing I did is that I painted the background into black.

The Substrate

Next, ADA Aquasoil Amazonia arrived in mail. Three 9L bags were a perfect amount!

The Dry-Start

The tissue culture plants arrived a few days later, and I planted them according to the plan, which has changed so many times since then. One of the few parts that remain constant is the curving "street" of Staurogyne repens. The other plants here are Althernanthera reineckii 'Mini', Hemianthus callictroides 'Cuba', Hydrocotyle tripartita, and Lobelia cardinalis. I planted, sprayed them thoroughly, covered with plastic cling wrap, and left them alone for four weeks to allow them to root well and grow.

The most important part was to leave one corner of the tank slightly open for ventilation and to make sure that there is always enough condensation within the tank, which meant it was humid enough for the plants to thrive. The lights were on for 9 hours a day, and the plants seem to like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

👉
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
👈

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 02-13-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: additional details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like a fantastic start. Curious to see how this progresses!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very nicely done so far. Look forward to seeing where this goes.

Subscribed.

------------------

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

40 Gallon Breeder Dutch

The DSM lasted for 4 weeks, during which HC gripped the substrate well enough, and other plants filled in quickly.

On December 1, I planted additional stem plants and filled the tank.

Greggz, Greggz, Ben Belton and 3 others like this.

👉
👈

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 04-19-2018 at 06:30 PM.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
How often have you been doing water changes with the fresh Amazonia and what addatives (fertilizer) are you using? I had a disastrous start with Amazonia, but want to try it again. However right now I have everything dialed in and little algae. I hate to screw it up again.
Ben
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Belton View Post
How often have you been doing water changes with the fresh Amazonia and what addatives (fertilizer) are you using? I had a disastrous start with Amazonia, but want to try it again. However right now I have everything dialed in and little algae. I hate to screw it up again.
Ben
Hi Ben. The first 12 weeks, 50% water change twice a week. Thereafter, once a week. I'm on EI dosing routine, but at the beginning, adding half the recommended amounts.

👉
👈

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 02-12-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

19 days after planting... Sorry, for the blurry image. My phone camera cracked and hence the low quality.

As you can see I have been shuffling plants a lot, and some plants will have to go. Especially, Hydrocotyle tripartita on the right side. It's hard to keep it tidy for the "Dutch street" look.

Greggz, Greggz, burr740 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 02-13-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: additional details
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua-botanicae View Post
So clean!!! I love the lack of equipment in the tank. From this angle, you can see nothing but the drop checker. I'm liking your plant arrangement too, the colors and textures compliment each other nicely. Well executed! Can't wait to see it as it matures

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

40 Gallon Breeder Dutch

Week 20. Top view.
Greggz, Greggz, Williak and 3 others like this.

👉
👈
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

40B Dutch

My lights make Bacopa blush...
Greggz, Greggz, burr740 and 1 others like this.

👉
👈
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pineapple fields

👉
👈
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This aquascape is now 5 months old.

👉
👈
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very impressive!

Especially only 5 months into it.

Keep up the good work, and look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

------------------
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's looking good for five months! One aquascaping tip: try not to have a straight line between your foreground/carpet and other plants; it stops visual flow. I know it's hard to cut back on an attractive carpet, but bringing some of your other plant groups forward will improve the overall feel quite a bit.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Very impressive!

Especially only 5 months into it.

Keep up the good work, and look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Thank you.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

👉
👈

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode