• 2 Post By FuryMonkey
  • 4 Post By FuryMonkey
  • 2 Post By The Dude1
  • 4 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Foray Into Rainbow Fish Breeding (Pic Heavy)

Firstly, a fair warning. I am quite detail oriented (not as much as some) and a teacher by profession so expect a lot of rambling and questions.

My previous experience with aquariums was centred around an old 55 gallon community tank that I eventually planted, and the breeding of guppies in some 15 gallons.

When we bought our house I was allowed to have a big tank in the dining room - enter the 220. I've got a thread on it HERE. In short, the tank was a Walstad(ish) planted tank with a plethora of different species, including some rainbows. The tank sprung a leak a few months ago after running for about 3 years.

Admittedly due to a number of factors (losing some rainbows to illness months before, work, getting a puppy, etc) I was only doing necessary water changes and allowed the plants to take over.

While replacing the tank was an enormous amount of work, it has allowed me to rescape and focus on what I have come to love - the rainbow fish.
Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by FuryMonkey; 01-30-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Removed "bump" from bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Iíll follow along with this.

But I have to ask, what are the specs of the tank and stocking??

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Rescape.

While I was reasonably happy with the first scape, there were a few issues with it. Reaching down into a 30" tall tank while standing on a chair was back aching and the growth rate of the plants (especially the hygro) demanded trimming/pulling every 2 weeks or so. Eventually I started to leave the trimming for a month at a time and the disorganized appearance that ensued wasn't very pleasing to the eye.
The anubias, while very slow growing, had covered all but the longest branches of the driftwood; I'd forgotten what an excellent piece it is and wanted it to remain a focal point of the tank.
The Crypt. spiralis grew taller and faster than expected, spreading out through the other crypts and it ultimately became nothing more than a menace. Pulling nodes was tricky as the roots would bring up soil and make a mess unless it was done slowly - again adding to the back pain.

The aspect that I came to dislike most was the chaos created by having so many different species of fish and plants. There was too much to look at and no cohesiveness.

Although I've watched numerous videos and How-To's on creating balance and depth in a scape, and while I conceptually understand the principles, I have literally zero artistic ability. My solution was to find a tank design that featured a large piece of driftwood and a large open swimming space at one end, and attempt to copy it. Here is the tank by Tom Barr that I used for inspiration and how I went about adapting his layout to my needs.

Hardscape:

Gravel and plants Painted in:

Plant choices are meant to be as low maintenance as possible.

The background screen is Vallisneria nana "Tiger". It grows quickly and spreads via runners, which could make it rather high maintenance, but I've found that its root systems are quite small and fine. Since it grows up to the surface the leaves are easy to reach and giving them a tug usually pulls the nodes up out of the substrate with minimal soil and mess. Also, once you get a hold of one node, the other young nodes along the runner come out all together. Certainly much easier than just about any stem plant.

The plan was to have a hedge of Crypt. wendtii "Green" with a few nodes of pinkish Crypt. wendtii "Green Gecko" as highlights/accents. Turns out that half of the wendtii "green" were mislabeled and are most likely Crypt. undulata. Thankfully I mixed the two types quite evenly and the green hedge is now a more natural looking mix of green and brown. So far it's been a happy accident. The nodes of Green Gecko are in there, but not standing out as I thought they would.

The carpet choice was a struggle. I used E.tenellus (pygmy/narrow leaf chain sword) before and while it grew well, it did tend to get taller and more uneven than I would like. I settled on Crypt. parva despite knowing that it is VERY slow growing. It is indeed growing, slowly, and I am not yet ready to give up on it, but I am not entirely pleased with how I placed it. I think that I should add more and completely cover the gravel *more on this point later* As a backup plan I acquired tissue cultures of two different types of E.tenellus that are growing in other tanks; when they have matured and propagated I'll evaluate their growth and compare them to what to parva has accomplished before deciding whether a change needs to be made.

Day One:

Day Two:

My 5 Boesemani returned to the tank. 4 males and 1 female. Acquired from a LFS before I knew anything about rainbow fish or learned about the importance of lineage.
Two Weeks:

Current with 5 Lacustris (Turquoise), 1 Parkinsoni, and 5 Siamese Algae Eaters:

As you can see the parva is slowly coming along while the other crypts are doing very well. The Tiger Vals melted and are trying to recover, but either some fish or snails are munching on the young leaves and slowing their growth. A few nodes in behind the crypts are starting to get a foothold and will soon be filling in the background.
I am still undecided whether to put the black background on again. I am expecting the Vals to make a dense screen eventually and so I will likely delay the decision until I see what it looks like.

More to come later, including stunning fish pictures from a new friend with amazing photography skills.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Last edited by FuryMonkey; 01-30-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Separating bump

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Iíll follow along with this.

But I have to ask, what are the specs of the tank and stocking??
The link in the first post goes the the GTAAquaria thread for the original tank setup and stocking.

Basic specs are Marineland 220 gallon (72"x24"x30") with four 36" Current USA Satellite Pro LED. Potting soil (1.5") capped with Peace River gravel (fairly fine grain). FX6 for filtration.

New stocking will be rainbow fish. Trying to limit myself to a few species, but not totally decided yet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryMonkey View Post
The link in the first post goes the the GTAAquaria thread for the original tank setup and stocking.

Basic specs are Marineland 220 gallon (72"x24"x30") with four 36" Current USA Satellite Pro LED. Potting soil (1.5") capped with Peace River gravel (fairly fine grain). FX6 for filtration.

New stocking will be rainbow fish. Trying to limit myself to a few species, but not totally decided yet.

Where about are you from then? Posting in the GTA forum caught my eye

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Where about are you from then? Posting in the GTA forum caught my eye
North part of Whitby

Near Toronto Ontario Canada, for those not from the area.
Quagulator and Quagulator like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:09 AM
Algae Grower

So this is a 220 rimless? Looks awesome.
Do you still breed rainbows? I'm about to buy some in a few months from Dave Paul's up in the Owen sound area

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
So this is a 220 rimless? Looks awesome.
Do you still breed rainbows? I'm about to buy some in a few months from Dave Paul's up in the Owen sound area
Unfortunately not rimless.

I am just getting into breeding rainbows (hence the foray) and I recently acquired some rainbows from Dave Pauls!

I made a trip up to his place to learn from the master and see his setup; came home with some young Dorityi and Moreheads.

I am currently practicing hatching and raising fry with my C.alleni Wapogas.
Obviously I've got some more tanks which will be featured in future posts with commentary about breeding.

Make sure you come to the DRAS dinner on February 24th at the Toronto Zoo with guest speaker Gary Lange!
Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryMonkey View Post
Unfortunately not rimless.

I am just getting into breeding rainbows (hence the foray) and I recently acquired some rainbows from Dave Pauls!

I made a trip up to his place to learn from the master and see his setup; came home with some young Dorityi and Moreheads.

I am currently practicing hatching and raising fry with my C.alleni Wapogas.
Obviously I've got some more tanks which will be featured in future posts with commentary about breeding.

Make sure you come to the DRAS dinner on February 24th at the Toronto Zoo with guest speaker Gary Lange!
Dorityi's are gorgeous. They are neck and neck with Kamaka's for me. I have not been able to find wapoga locally yet, but I hope to. Your tank looked fantastic in it's previous iteration so I'm excited to see what you come up with. Parva does seem very slow to start, but after a couple months it grows pretty good in relation to its diminutive size. I found that it really needs direct light. Any crowding from taller plants and it just sits there. I had to move some around, but I'm very happy I stuck with it. There's really nothing else like it.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Been looking forward to seeing you get a thread started.

220G of Rainbows...........I think I will be jealous before long.

I really like where this is going, and looking forward to seeing how these Bows mature, and how the plants fill in.

Quick question, where did the tank start leaking? My 120G leaked last year and I had to replace it. Mine came from one of the inside lower seams.
Noahma, Noahma, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

------------------
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Quick question, where did the tank start leaking? My 120G leaked last year and I had to replace it. Mine came from one of the inside lower seams.
Lower inside seam; couldn't see exactly where because water was able to run along the plastic frame.

New tank has a lot more silicone protecting the seams and the silicone protecting the bottom seams is clear rather than black. Coincidence? 🤔

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Parva does seem very slow to start, but after a couple months it grows pretty good in relation to its diminutive size. I found that it really needs direct light. Any crowding from taller plants and it just sits there. I had to move some around, but I'm very happy I stuck with it. There's really nothing else like it.
Thanks for the advice and confirming what I'd hoped would be the case.

I am really looking forward to seeing it cover almost all of the exposed gravel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode