20 Gallon High - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Gallon High

Let me just start with a warning that this tank is hideous and has a rescape on its way. I am quite embarassed to even upload this but it will give me extra motivation i need to make sure this is done right.
The backstory of this tank is it has been set up for almost a year now. I kind of gave up on it as I had done research and was wondering why I,couldnt get the plants to grow, die or anything.
After getting a wave of inspiration a couple months back i decided to try and figure it all out. I think now i have devised my master plan.
My lights were too bright and the plants were not getting any vital nutrients as well as enough. I now have osmocote plus tabs in there by just the water wisteria for now until after the rescape.
My driftwood from my girlfriend will be here this week (manzanita) as a late christmas present because the first go around it got lost in the mail. I plan on scaping it with small lava rocks, plants, and manzanita wood.
Currently in this tank is 1 female guppy (she will be getting rehomed to my 10 gallon with more guppies) 5 longfin zebra danios 2 nerites and 1 amano shrimp.
My new stocking plan involves having 6 to 10 harlequin rasboras some dwarf corys for the bottom and possibly a betta fish as the centerpiece. I think the harlequin will look great as they wont draw away too much from the plants or the betta.
Also i cannot stand the driftwood in there now as pieces of the wood is constantly shedding and covering the black sand taking away its beauty.
Anyways, long story short, in the upcoming weeks i am planning a massive overhaul of this tank and will turn it from ugly to beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_023715_1517203979675.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	824082  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

Looking forward to the transition!

See a new leaf growing.
Can't help smiling.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:06 AM
Planted Member

I don’t want to intrude too heavily here, but the stocking idea stuck out to me. Have you thought about maybe making the Rasbora school Espeis instead of Harlequins?

I mostly bring it up because I tried something similar, and unless the Betta is more aggressive, it may actually feel overwhelmed by the number of fish nearly as big as it is. Especially during feeding time. The smaller Espeis may make for a more colorful, and more balanced tank, IMO. I went Green Neons myself in the end and rehomed the Harlequins, but if I did want to do Rasboras again, I’d do Espeis.

Overall, I would be interested to see how it turns out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Personally, I like the piece of driftwood you have; it is very interesting, visually speaking. However, if you are having problems with it breaking apart, then it obviously has a rotting issue, and you really don't want wood decomposing that much in your aquarium unless you have something in there that normally eats soft wood. You can usually salvage soft driftwood by scrubbing it with a wire brush until you get down to the solid wood. You can use a drill-mounted wire wheel–which will "eat up" the wood quickly, meaning it is easy to overdo it–or a mechanic's brush in either brass (more gentle) or steel (more harsh). You can usually pick up a set of those two plus a nylon brush fairly cheaply. If you're getting just one, go for the steel one. That's the one I use most unless I'm working on a more delicate piece of driftwood. And if you can salvage a cool looking piece of driftwood, then that's one piece you will have to work with in the future. Plus, you'll already have the tools to "dress" any wood you might find for free in the future.

Good luck with your rescape!

Olskule

"May the Fish be with you."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiede View Post
I don’t want to intrude too heavily here, but the stocking idea stuck out to me. Have you thought about maybe making the Rasbora school Espeis instead of Harlequins?

I mostly bring it up because I tried something similar, and unless the Betta is more aggressive, it may actually feel overwhelmed by the number of fish nearly as big as it is. Especially during feeding time. The smaller Espeis may make for a more colorful, and more balanced tank, IMO. I went Green Neons myself in the end and rehomed the Harlequins, but if I did want to do Rasboras again, I’d do Espeis.

Overall, I would be interested to see how it turns out.
No you're not intruding one bit I'm always open suggestions. I was actually thinking about doing espei or cardinals instead. Ultimately I decided against cardinals because I know they can be finicky along with neons. Espeis I was actually very intrested in I just couldn't find them too much. However when I was at my LFS they have a tank with harlequin in it as well as a bunch of other fish but some of the harlequinn looked more red than they should have so now that i think about it those could have been espei. I do like the fact that they are smaller too. I think i may go with that suggestion. Thank you!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskule View Post
Personally, I like the piece of driftwood you have; it is very interesting, visually speaking. However, if you are having problems with it breaking apart, then it obviously has a rotting issue, and you really don't want wood decomposing that much in your aquarium unless you have something in there that normally eats soft wood. You can usually salvage soft driftwood by scrubbing it with a wire brush until you get down to the solid wood. You can use a drill-mounted wire wheel–which will "eat up" the wood quickly, meaning it is easy to overdo it–or a mechanic's brush in either brass (more gentle) or steel (more harsh). You can usually pick up a set of those two plus a nylon brush fairly cheaply. If you're getting just one, go for the steel one. That's the one I use most unless I'm working on a more delicate piece of driftwood. And if you can salvage a cool looking piece of driftwood, then that's one piece you will have to work with in the future. Plus, you'll already have the tools to "dress" any wood you might find for free in the future.

Good luck with your rescape!

Olskule
Thank you I appreciate the info!! I do like the shape of the peice but for the tank itself it's a bit to big as you can tell. I will definitely save it and maybe try to grind it down so to speak for when I get a bigger tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nothing major yet just a little update. I removed the dwarf sag that was hardly living from the tank. I recieved some crypt spiralis and planted it in the back right and added some fertilizer. The crypt has begun melting a bit as it acclimates to the tank. My driftwood and light timer are expected to be delivered tuesday or wednesday.
I am debating when my driftwood comes either removing all of the (i believe bacopa thats behind the driftwood) or just clumping it all together as 1. We will see how i end up scaping the tank. I would also try to clean the algae that has been on the bacopa for a while.
The wisteria is growing decently and is growing better than anything else ive had. May transfer an amazon sword plant from my 10 gallon to here.
Still playing around with the light dimmer with hopes of maybe finding the best lighting thats not too bright or dull.
Lastly i did some tests on my water found the gh and kh. The gh was 7 and the kh was 6 i believe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180203_170846_1517696998250.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	825570  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Excited to say that my wood came today. I will only be using 1 piece in my aquarium as well as a bunch of lava rocks. Im not quite sure which one yet but I am probably going to use the first picture. My planning will begin tomorrow and i will get ready to rescape the tank. Then i can add fish and more plants. I also am thinking of moss on the manzanita.
Also yesterday my light timer came in the mail and i tested it out and unfortunately with the light dimmer in it doesn't work and makes a high pitched humming noise so I just am not going to use the timer.
Also very happy with the wood too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180206_223552_1517979058622.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	826545  

Name:	20180206_223652_1517979126845.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	826569  

Name:	20180206_223840_1517979145890.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	826577  

Name:	20180206_224026_1517979209664.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	826585  

Name:	20180206_224003_1517979237086.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	826593  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the overhaul has progressed. I removed the original piece of driftwood and that thing was rotting and smelled like disgusting sewage. Glad i got rid of it... thought it was safe and wouldnt rot oh well didnt harm the fish. Now im going to slowly vacuum the wood specs off the sand so it is mostly black ssnd again. My crypt is already growing new leaves and sent out a couple runners right next to it. I added some small lava rocks as a little touch and im happy with how it came out. I want to add more plants next maybe moss on the drift wood a java fern wedged in the rocks possibly. Not sure yet. I only use root tabs so may use dry fertilizers too for the water column just don't want to buy that stuff right now (lazy). After i add more plants than the fish will come next!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180217_005854_1519056496922.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	830970  

Name:	20180217_005900_1519056511553.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	830986  

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I live in NJ and a few weeks ago I lost power for a few days and my house dropped down to 40 degrees. My water was freezing, I tried everything I could but I ended up losing my nerites, my guppy and my betta. (Different tank) Some how the danios survived. I have since relocated them to my other tank and now have added 5 neons to this tank instead of rasboras. I plan on adding 5 more neons in a week or so. After that possibly corys or a centerpiece fish, might not go with a betta.
Within the next few days I am thinking of ordering some plants, possibly some carpet plant like dwarf sag maybe and anacharis elodea. Now that I use osmocote plus tabs I think they will grow better this time around. I also pulled the repens out today when cleaning my tank as they were hardly alive. Not sure what plants to go with...the dream would be to have an overgrown jungle looking tank one day...we shall see. My jungle val is growing beautifully and I could not be more happy. My water wisteria is growing at the top but then starts to melt its leaves towards the bottom :/.
Overall I am happy with how the tank is coming along.
Also debating on buying water column ferts in case I buy some moss to put on the wood.
A red cherry shrimp colony may be nice in here too...who knows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180321_165727.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	839569  

Name:	20180321_165718.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	839577  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode