• 2 Post By moseschi1
  • 2 Post By moseschi1
  • 4 Post By moseschi1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very First Planted Tank - 65 gallon tank

This is my first ever planted tank. Started on July 15, 2017. I know that this hobby can get expensive, so I set myself a budget of $300. I got this used 65 gallon tank from Craigslist and the stand for $100 (the seller gave me everything he had, which saved more cost). Got used CO2 tank, air, regulator for $100. And UV lamp and CO2 reactor cost me $50. The substrate is a big bag of diamond coal slag ($7) and I got mixed plants from this forum for $20. And finally got tank inhabitants for around $30. I think I upgraded my lighting for additional $20. I went a little over the budget, but I don't think anyone can beat this price for starting a 65 high tech planted tank.

But after 4 algae bloom (brown algae, green water, black beard), nothing mattered. I almost threw the tank away. But I am glad I persevered because I enjoy this tank so much now. Started out the first month as low tech and very minimal. But after a month I added 20lb CO2 tank with a CO2 reactor. I was dosing fertilizer as if my tank was heavily planted. The plants were not growing because the water was toxic from over fertilization. Also I found out that I did not have strong enough lighting. So I added extra light. Here's a quick picture journal of my last 5 months:

20170826_111527 by moseschi, on Flickr
On Aug 26, 2017 - This is a month after I started the tank. As you can see the drift wood and all the surface is covered with brown and green algae. The tank was not cycled at this point. I opted for to cycle the tank with 4 guppies (they are hardy!) Later on I regretted this decision, as I ended up with 40+ guppies within 2 months.

20170908_191643 by moseschi, on Flickr
On Sep 08, 2017 - Just had the 2nd algae bloom. I had to scrub all the surfaces. The foreground plant "grass" (I got them as seeds from ebay-[China origin]) are growing like weeds. The rest of the plants are fairly new and is going through transplant shock.

20171016_172634 by moseschi, on Flickr
On Oct 16, 2017 - Some of the plants did not make it past the "transplant shock stage." I threw them out. A week or 2 before, I went out to a local stream and pick out some plants without knowing what they were. I think one of them was watercress (the edible kind) and the other one I got was java moss and elodea. At this point my water changed into murky green 3 times and after some research I decided to the UV lamp. This was one of the best decisions. Not only did I never have green water, I have never seen my water this crystal clear.

20171125_211434 by moseschi, on Flickr
On Nov 25, 2017 - Tank is now stable. I moved some plants around and rearranged so that large plants were all in the background as it was blocking my midground plants. This is the look I envisioned. All I had to do is wait for the plants to grow.

20171219_213853 by moseschi, on Flickr
On Dec 19, 2017 - At this point, I am still trimming and replanting to have the heavy-planted look.

20180126_162934 by moseschi, on Flickr
Yesterday Jan 26, 2018 - The look I envisioned is near. In about 1 month, I think the background plants will be completely full, blocking the "ugly" wires and uv-lamps and co2 reactor. I will then fully enjoy the tank. I am in the process of stocking the tank with shrimp and more inhabitants.

Thanks for reading!
Greggz, Greggz, ipkiss and 9 others like this.

Last edited by moseschi1; 01-29-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Photos not viewable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moseschi1 View Post
This is my first ever planted tank. Started on July 15, 2017. I know that this hobby can get expensive, so I set myself a budget of $300. I got this used 65 gallon tank from Craigslist and the stand for $100 (the seller gave me everything he had, which saved more cost). Got used CO2 tank, air, regulator for $100. And UV lamp and CO2 reactor cost me $50. The substrate is a big bag of diamond coal slag ($7) and I got mixed plants from this forum for $20. And finally got tank inhabitants for around $30. I think I upgraded my lighting for additional $20. I went a little over the budget, but I don't think anyone can beat this price for starting a 65 high tech planted tank.

But after 4 algae bloom (brown algae, green water, black beard), nothing mattered. I almost threw the tank away. But I am glad I persevered because I enjoy this tank so much now. Started out the first month as low tech and very minimal. But after a month I added 20lb CO2 tank with a CO2 reactor. I was dosing fertilizer as if my tank was heavily planted. The plants were not growing because the water was toxic from over fertilization. Also I found out that I did not have strong enough lighting. So I added extra light. Here's a quick picture journal of my last 5 months:

On Aug 26, 2017 - This is a month after I started the tank. As you can see the drift wood and all the surface is covered with brown and green algae. The tank was not cycled at this point. I opted for to cycle the tank with 4 guppies (they are hardy!) Later on I regretted this decision, as I ended up with 40+ guppies within 2 months.

On Sep 08, 2017 - Just had the 2nd algae bloom. I had to scrub all the surfaces. The foreground plant "grass" (I got them as seeds from ebay-[China origin]) are growing like weeds. The rest of the plants are fairly new and is going through transplant shock.

On Oct 16, 2017 - Some of the plants did not make it past the "transplant shock stage." I threw them out. A week or 2 before, I went out to a local stream and pick out some plants without knowing what they were. I think one of them was watercress (the edible kind) and the other one I got was java moss and elodea. At this point my water changed into murky green 3 times and after some research I decided to the UV lamp. This was one of the best decisions. Not only did I never have green water, I have never seen my water this crystal clear.

On Nov 25, 2017 - Tank is now stable. I moved some plants around and rearranged so that large plants were all in the background as it was blocking my midground plants. This is the look I envisioned. All I had to do is wait for the plants to grow.

On Dec 19, 2017 - At this point, I am still trimming and replanting to have the heavy-planted look.

Yesterday Jan 26, 2018 - The look I envisioned is near. In about 1 month, I think the background plants will be completely full, blocking the "ugly" wires and uv-lamps and co2 reactor. I will then fully enjoy the tank. I am in the process of stocking the tank with shrimp and more inhabitants.

Thanks for reading!
Maybe my phone isnt working but the photos didn't come through

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Newbie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
Maybe my phone isnt working but the photos didn't come through

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
As you can see, I am really new at this thing (not only planted tank, but using the forum). Thanks to you, I am learning how to post pictures on forum the correct way which is to use the BBCode.

I think it should work now.

Thanks for letting me know
iamaloner and iamaloner like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome job, especially for your first tank! I think it looks great, was the carpet just magic seeds from china?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice looking tank! I really liked seeing the progression shots, shows how much patience and persistence pay off!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

Congrats on your perseverance and eventual success. Looks great!

See a new leaf growing.
Can't help smiling.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Magic Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Noob View Post
Congrats on your perseverance and eventual success. Looks great!
Thanks for the encouragement. All that frustration and patience paid off as I enjoy just sitting in front of the aquarium enjoying the view.

Last edited by moseschi1; 01-29-2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: quoted and replied to the wrong person
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice post.

Looks like your tank has come a long way in a short time.

Very nice especially on a tight budget.

Look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

---
---
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Rasbora View Post
Awesome job, especially for your first tank! I think it looks great, was the carpet just magic seeds from china?

Is that what it is called? Magic seed from China? Yes, I got it from Ebay and was uncertain as I read some horrible reviews of these plants melting under water.

But these "grass" are very good (and cheap) carpet plants. I have to "mow" them every 2 weeks though. There are definitely more than one type of grass as the grass blade shape is different.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Nice post.

Looks like your tank has come a long way in a short time.

Very nice especially on a tight budget.

Look forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Thanks. I clicked below your post, which lead me to your amazing 120 gallon tank. How long did it take you to get that look?

And the blue colored fish, what kind of fish is that?
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moseschi1 View Post
Thanks. I clicked below your post, which lead me to your amazing 120 gallon tank. How long did it take you to get that look?

And the blue colored fish, what kind of fish is that?
Thanks after decades of low tech Rainbow tanks, I switched over to high tech a little over two years ago.

It's been quite a journey, and I am still working on it.

The blue fish is a Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia Lacustris). If you go to page 59 of my journal, you will find a link to a recent video, and then the next few pages have pictures of all the breeds in the tank.

---
---
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

You have put together a very nice looking tank on what many of us would call a shoe string budget. Great job!

I'm a little bummed you didn't put in the horrible and ugly algae pics , but the tank looks awesome. So did all the guppies get traded off or are you at 500 guppies?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fish Se* produces little fish babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithim View Post
You have put together a very nice looking tank on what many of us would call a shoe string budget. Great job!

I'm a little bummed you didn't put in the horrible and ugly algae pics , but the tank looks awesome. So did all the guppies get traded off or are you at 500 guppies?
Thank you.

As you can see in the last 2 most recent pictures, I only have male guppies in my planted tank as they are a bit more fancier and colorful. I have a smaller tank where I only have the females. And please please don't tell PETA, I had to flush down female guppies as I had no room to house them in my smaller non-planted tank. Hope they swam all the way down to Florida.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What is Magic Seed from China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Rasbora View Post

Someone asked me today what my foreground plant is. I quoted Rasbora and said, "magic seeds from china." Does anyone know what they are? If not genus and species at least family?

It does not look like it is a type of "grass" that we see on our front yard.

Here are the pictures.

2018-01-30_05-34-08 by moseschi, on Flickr

2018-01-30_05-33-55 by moseschi, on Flickr

2018-01-30_05-33-40 by moseschi, on Flickr
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Shoot, you did better in 6 months than I ever did in 6 years! Congrats and enjoy!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update and new unknown ludwigia plant

So an update as of today 3/27/18. I got some few new plants 4 weeks ago and I can't seem to identify one Ludwigia species plant.

2018-03-27_07-58-05 by moseschi, on Flickr

So in my tank I thought I had 2 different kind of Ludwigia red variety.

This I think is called Ludwigia 'Super red'. It has smaller leaves and it is bloody red in color.
2018-03-27_07-58-57 by moseschi, on Flickr

These are the 2 new Ludwigia plants I got. At first I thought they were the same, however, the one on the right is not turning red even after 4 weeks of 2-3 watt per gallon lights, CO2, and Macro and micro fertilizer with iron supplements.
2018-03-27_07-58-21 by moseschi, on Flickr

As you can see, it is a little pinkish yellowish.
2018-03-27_07-58-45 by moseschi, on Flickr

Does anyone know this variation of Ludwigia plant?
Greggz, Greggz, vanish and 1 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode