75 Gallon upgrade and Bow tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 Gallon upgrade and Bow tank

Hi all,

I am finally upgrading my 29g tank to a 75G. I've had this 29 for 6 or so years, it was neglected for a while but I've finally gotten back into the hobby within the past year.

For now this will be a low-tech tank, but I will probably eventually go high-tech.

I plan on using Black diamond for the substrate. I'm undecided on the hardscape at the moment. I plan on taking my time getting everything setup and moved over.

I currently have 3 Bosemani Rainbows, 1 Nerite, 6 Amanos, and 3 Otos.

Here is the planned stocking so far:

Current Plants:

Rotala Rotundfolia
Ludwigia Repens
Anubias Petite
Crypt Wendtii
Amazon Sword
Anubias Lanceolata
Crypt Lucen
Dwarf Sag
Needle Leaf Java fern
Aponogeton Ulvaceus
Anubias Nana

Filter: Eheim 2217 with SS Lily Pipes

Here is a shot from a few months ago of my 29g that everything will be moved from:

I plan on picking up the 75G tonight, excited to finally get a larger tank!
Greggz, Greggz and ChrisX like this.

Last edited by Glyphic; 01-26-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Another Rainbow tank on the board. My master plan is working!

Looking forward to see the new set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I already had the Bosemani, but your thread inspired me to see what the local stores were carrying. That's what I'm basing my planned stock list on. Your tank is amazing!

Here are some final shots of the 29 before it starts to get torn down in the coming weeks.

And the 75G getting prepped:
Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are those Milleniums or Irian reds? I went with Milleniums at Greggz's recommendation and they are killer... also check out Kamaka's... I've got 4 and yellow rainbows are pretty gorgeous. I've got quite a few... not as many as Greggz though
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Are those Milleniums or Irian reds? I went with Milleniums at Greggz's recommendation and they are killer... also check out Kamaka's... I've got 4 and yellow rainbows are pretty gorgeous. I've got quite a few... not as many as Greggz though
They were purchased from my LFS as Bosemani. I have a few small LFS that focus heavily on getting decent stock so once I have everything going I will see what I can find.

I think I've decided on a simple hardscape.

Now I just need to decide if I want to paint the back black or not and then move everything over.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Dude1 Glossolepis Pseudoincisus are Millenniums also sometimes called Tami River.

------------------
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And everything is moved over.

Greggz, Greggz and KZB like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question for you @Greggz This guy has this spot in the center of his eye. Anything to worry about? I'm not sure if it was ever not there and I haven't had any issues.

In other news I still have all 6 of my Amanos. I thought for sure I had lost at least one of them.
KZB likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyphic View Post
Question for you @Greggz This guy has this spot in the center of his eye. Anything to worry about? I'm not sure if it was ever not there and I haven't had any issues.
I've not seen that before. But if he's eating and swimming normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, he's a good looking Boese!
Glyphic and Glyphic like this.

------------------
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So far everything is running great in the 75G. No major algae or anything else at the moment. I think the Amanos enjoy the extra room more than anything. I'll post some pictures when I get home later.

One of the LFS near me that has a fantastic rep can get Kamaka Rainbows and also stocks Dorityi Rainbows. Sadly I will more than likely have to wait for my tax refund before I can make the purchase, but I am looking at maybe 4 of each and then 1 more Boesemani.
Greggz, Greggz and KZB like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow I completely forgot about this thread.

So since I started this tank I've had some major battles with Algae. I recently purchased a 48" Beamswork Fspec and started dosing ferts a little more strictly. Hoping this helps a bit. You will have to excuse some of the mess in these pics.

Could someone provide me with an ID on these guys? Obviously I have the 3 Bosemani in there but for the life of me I can't remember the other rainbows.

Greggz, ChrisX and KZB like this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did a deep clean today, a heavy cutback and a little bit of moving stuff around. My timer for my light hasn't been working properly so the lights aren't cutting on sometimes and then not cutting off others. Getting the replacement tomorrow so hopefully I can get some consistency going on.

Tried to get some better pictures as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to kill off this algae. At least I'm not having heavy amounts of hair algae like I was before. I'm thinking most of this is just remnants from before. We shall see.
Greggz, KZB and tredford like this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not really much new to report. I've got a new phone that takes much better pictures now...

I've tuned my maintenance schedule a bit and have been more diligent on cleaning out debris. I have also started doing water changes on Saturday, dosing prime after the WC, and then dosing Ferts on Sunday and Thursdays. I'm also dosing excel as well once a week after the WC. So far my growth seems to have improved a noticeable amount. I'm dosing with Thrive-C twice a week but I might switch to their dry ferts as I'm almost out.

Greggz, KZB and tredford like this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tank is getting better and better!

Nice work!

------------------
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

I realized those pics are actually from 2-3 weeks ago and Ive noticed I'm finally starting to get some decent healthy growth from the two different rotalas:

Also got a little flower on my Anubias:

Another tank shot:

I've got to figure out the right camera settings for this. I'm still hoping to delve into CO2 in the coming months.
Greggz, Immortal1 and tredford like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode