HC? Dry start - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
HC? Dry start

Hello,

This is my first planted tank. Tank size is 60cmx45cmx45. I think I am trying to grow HC cuba. Please confirm?! I am not really sure because some runners have really big leaves.
Anyways, my journey started 5 weeks ago with the dry start. I followed the info given in this forum. So thanks a lot everyone. First two pics were taken just after planting.

After three weeks of spraying, using small humidifier and 12 hour lighting; I flooded the tank (I wanted to wait more but I was going to a long holiday). Third pic is right after filling with water.

It has been 2 weeks now after flooding. I m using ferts (sera florena), pumping a lot of co2 and keeping the lights (around 80 watt led 6500k) on 8 hours a day. I use canister filter with 4x flow and added another powerhead to have around 11x flow overall. Fourth picture is the most recent one with a little bit of trimming.

Now here are my questions. Please help
1. I have hair algae. How can i get rid of this? I am using fork to get it out but grows back after just one day. Is my light too much?

2. As you can see from the pics, the color of the plant now is not as good as the color
Just after flooding. What should i do to have a better color?

3. Is this plant hc cuba? Last pic is a close up to make it easier to identify.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE80074D-1C9B-4E0A-91D0-E43E301FCEB5_1516789851448.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	822042  

Name:	94970BDB-5260-4C91-849C-4AD4FACD6802_1516789876847.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	822050  

Name:	CF12A732-B9CF-427E-8EE8-C343BC329A2F_1516789903163.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	822058  

Name:	FF65919A-BBE6-4ADD-B4BB-02FA5DBC585D_1516789944232.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	822066  

Name:	DBB88CB6-0F75-436B-BFAF-3135057C1603_1516789994768.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	822074  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I cannot give too much advice on algae or anything as I am currently battling it as well.
That is Monte Carlo however no HC
It's a micranthemum.
You seem to be growing it a hell of a lot better than me as well!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsi View Post
It has been 2 weeks now after flooding. I m using ferts (sera florena), pumping a lot of co2 and keeping the lights (around 80 watt led 6500k) on 8 hours a day. I use canister filter with 4x flow and added another powerhead to have around 11x flow overall. Fourth picture is the most recent one with a little bit of trimming.
One reason I'm not a fan of DSM. The plant grows in and then you flood. The plant goes into a transition and your flooding it with light 8 hours a day. That results in algae. You needed probably around 4-5 hours tops and frequent water change until the plant starts to really grow again. co2 will have limited benefit with limited plant mass. It's not an algaecide.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
I cannot give too much advice on algae or anything as I am currently battling it as well.
That is Monte Carlo however no HC
It's a micranthemum.
You seem to be growing it a hell of a lot better than me as well!!
Oh really! Then my lfs either does not know what it is or just lied to me . I was thinking it was HC when i bought. Given the speed of carpeting and success to some extent at first try however, I had my doubts. It is a nice plant anyways, I dont have hard feelings for the lfs. Thanks for the clarification!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsi View Post
Oh really! Then my lfs either does not know what it is or just lied to me . I was thinking it was HC when i bought. Given the speed of carpeting and success to some extent at first try however, I had my doubts. It is a nice plant anyways, I dont have hard feelings for the lfs. Thanks for the clarification!

They may have made and honest mistake, and certainly do not take my word for law haha. I am simply judging by the leaf size that this cannot be HC, leaving MC being my only guess. The rooting system and leaves look correct, so I think I am right, but then again I am not an expert like many of the people on here. Regardless, it has formed and awesome carpet! Good work!

|
|
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Update on the HC?

Here is what has been happening to the carpet over the course of few months.

One big lesson is that you should trim the carpet frequently to prevent the inner parts from turning yellow. First picture was before trimming. As you can see it is all green and I did not suspect anything was wrong. But I decided to do a heavy trimming after reading about its importance. The second one is just after trimming. Huge portion of the carpet was actually yellow (some parts even brown) underneath and they became visible. I thought it was ruined and there was no turning back. However after few weeks from the heavy trimming, things started to get better. Last pic is a recent one. It is not great but you can see some progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	843881  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	843889  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	843897  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode