Alex's 10 gallon journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
Alex's 10 gallon journal

Gonna be my experiment with a planted tank and the new Fluval EBI shrimp stratum, i've used lots of other soil type brands and haven't been impressed with them too much so we'll see if it's any different this time around!

These are still just the plans, have to get the tank still

-Specs-
10 gallon AGA tank
18W T5 (oddysea brand I beleive)
Sponge filter
Fluval Shrimp Stratum
Malaysian bogwood
paintball co2

-Fauna-
S+ CRS/CBS
some sort of neocaridina (suggestions!?)
parotocinclus sp. (if I can find them)

-Flora-
Downoi
DHG belem
Anubias nana 'petite'
Staurogyne
Fissidens
MP
rotala sp 'butterfly'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
sounds good. Let us know how it goes...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
I demand pictures so I can see what trimming I can get at the GSAS plant auction

It is bound to look good! Why not de-rim the tank? Seems easy enough with a 10g tank, I mean, just spend $5 for a few razors and you got yourself a rimmless. But whatever you want, its your tank...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Where in Washington do you live? I'm just getting into CRS myself and recently set up a 10 gallon super low maintenance tank with a single T-8 15 watt bulb. I'm running an AC70 on it! No CO2 and no ferts. It's mostly java moss, java ferns 'Philiphine', some stems, red root floaters and anubias nana petite. If you have a large army of CRS, they will absolutely pick that 10 gallon tank clean in no time! This has been one of the most enjoyable tanks that I've had.

David
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
It is bound to look good! Why not de-rim the tank? Seems easy enough with a 10g tank, I mean, just spend $5 for a few razors and you got yourself a rimmless. But whatever you want, its your tank...
I'll get a picture of the bag of fluval stratum and the main peice of wood to tide you over til tomorrow when I pick up my tank at work :P

probably not gonna de-rim the tank cuz I'm impatient and the last time I did it I ended up trying to pry off a halfway siliconed rim and splitting my tank down the back into several large peices

Quote:
Where in Washington do you live? I'm just getting into CRS myself and set up a 10 gallon super low maintenance tank with a single T-8 15 watt bulb. No CO2 and no ferts. It's mostly java moss, java ferns 'Philiphine', some stems, red root floaters and anubias nana petite. If you have a large army of CRS, they will absolutely pick that 10 gallon tank clean in no time! This has been one of the most enjoyable tanks that I've had.
I'm in the Seatac-ish area... I love the CRS way more than my rcs or sulawesis cuz they're crazy active, tons more fun to watch lol

And here's a photo for ya Caton!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Nerd Alert.

Yay! I love photos....Now...Get that sand into the tank and fill 'er up! I got 12 a/s grade shrimp today...All DOA Oh well...maybe next time I will have better luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Nerd Alert.

Oh yeah, BTW I am far far away from Seattle, I live in the middle of Washington about an hour away from Wenatchee.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Planted Member

All DOA...why? Were they sent Priotrity Mail and took over 5 days to get to you? I have had 4 separate packages sent to me recently...no DOA's!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
I got 12 a/s grade shrimp today...All DOA Oh well...maybe next time I will have better luck.
Aww man!! That blows! Once I get a colony going I'll hook you up!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Planted Member

Here's my new 10 gallon tank.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Fitness2go, very impressive. The tank gives you a sense of a much larger tank than just a 10g tank. If you hid that intake it would look more natural imho.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Planted Member

Thank you. I'm thinking about making a stainless moss tube/wall to put around it or in front of it. It annoys me too!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Planted Member

Here's a shot of the fauna.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank looks great man! You have problems with your CRS going into your filter at all? Mine keep climbing up the outflow part of my HOB, it's annoying lol.

Bad news is my light is on backorder from the supplier or some such bull so it won't be till later this week that I'm getting the light. I might just settle for a CFL one, it's a 10 gallon so not like it matters a ton
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
LOL. Alex, I thought that pix was your update.
It is impressive, Fitness2go!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode