Caton's 20g high-ish tech tank. *TERRIBLE SUPRISE! NOOOO!* - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Lol, I am not going to get chain loaches any more....I am going to get assassin snails and cories....I guess chain loaches won't eat MTS also...Oh, I get what I really want any way.

I just placed my order for the light, 500ml....that was $80....Lol, now I have to spend $200 on co2...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Well, Mrs. Flame (Female apisto) is sick

I have no clue what is going on, but I have lost a cardinal, one is seperated from the group like the one that died, and Mrs. Flame is swimming to the top and trying to jump (She is very weak, so she can't really even break the surface). I tested my ammonia, and it was .50ppm so I am going to have to do a water-change today...GAH! I hate it when this happens, the look normal (No sign's of infection) other than the fact that they are acting weird. Let's just hope I can have Mrs. Flame live. I would hate for Mr. Flame to be a widower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
.50ppm!?! Dang that is a lot of ammonia. Do several large water changes ASAP! Also add some Prime if you have it.

Mrs. Flame is probably not sick, just, well, dying beause of the ammonia. I would guess that the rotting tetra set this off. It is really never a good idea to leave a dead fish in a tank.

Forgot to mention, how old are you test kits? I highly doubt you have .5pmm of ammonia in that tank. Everything would die in a short period of time.

So sorry for ya man! Hope the fishes make it through this!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Well...My test kit is around a year old. Based on the numbers on the bottle. I figured it was a bad idea to leave that Cardinal... But I though the snails would eat it because I had a fish die one time at night (I didn't see it, but was sick when I went to bed) and when I woke up, I only saw a skeleton and maybe a little bit of flesh left on. Well, Mrs. Flame is now in heaven. My neons seem fine and Mr. Flame is doing Okay....I have got to do a water change....

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
What kind of substrate and rocks are those?

post #21 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

I am just using play sand and rocks I found in my back yard and searching around.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #22 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Well...My test kit is around a year old. Based on the numbers on the bottle. I figured it was a bad idea to leave that Cardinal... But I though the snails would eat it because I had a fish die one time at night (I didn't see it, but was sick when I went to bed) and when I woke up, I only saw a skeleton and maybe a little bit of flesh left on. Well, Mrs. Flame is now in heaven. My neons seem fine and Mr. Flame is doing Okay....I have got to do a water change....
I am sorry to hear that....

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #23 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

I know, I am hoping I get credit back from the fish store, this was the most expensive fish I have ever bought. While some of you might think $11.99 for a fish is a little, when you buy two there goes most my money...

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #24 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

I got some melafix so hopefully that helps. I will update pics tomorrow because I got glosso and some other stem plants.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #25 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
pick up some Prime! i use it in all of my tanks, i never have any ammonia problems in any of my tanks, even the piranha tank! pick up a bottle, it lasts a LONG time. worth the 10 bucks.

Amy

(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
post #26 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Walmart didn't have it, I might order some off of eBay though.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #27 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

I picked up some prime today at Petco...MAN! I had forgotten how much I do not like that place. It is sad to see all those people buying bala sharks for their tiny tanks, telling the employees that most the plants they have aren't aquatic, and then being ignorant and not even caring to listen to me. I hate to give them business, but grant it, I needed the prime, I needed fish bags, and my bird needed food. They now have even uglier baloon mollies. I mean they were bad as it was...but now they are terrible.

My light says it departed Illinois, and is expected to arrive on the 29th, so hopefully...

And in sad news; my dad informed me that yesterday, he saw a streaker (cardinal) go belly up and start swimming upside down. The lady at the LFS who is really nice, said that she has had trouble with this batch of fish from the beginning. So, hopefully, I will at least get my $20 worth of fish, that have died. I also added a bunch of glosso as a foreground. I am going to do a rescape and get all the plants in their proper places with the light and all....anybody want to donate a co2 system to the cause

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #28 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

I am getting nervous with the tanks silicone job. I think the tank is 10+ years, or the silicone is just not that good of quality, I plan on tearing the tank down (no...this thread will not be closed.) and switching everything to a new tank. Same sand, same fish, same filter. Just moving to a new location, painting the background, and not having hard-water stains, and scratched glass. I plan on using the old tank as a emerged set-up with glosso, and some stem plants. I might even de-rim it and use it as a frog habitat, but that is just me dreaming. If only I could find a rimless 20g tank that is $50 or less.

Light is still in Illinois driftwood should come tomorrow. I might switch to a black substrate or just a smooth pool sand. But I just put in like 10 rootmedic cap's...

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #29 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

I found Mr. Flame dead just now

I may just return them all, and start this tank over. Like cycle it again....

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #30 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Pri
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I found Mr. Flame dead just now
So sorry for Mr. Flame...since when do you have Mr. and Mrs Flame?

My planted tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2076-Pri.html
My Cichlid tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2075-Pri.html
My DIY project Journal https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...y-project.html
My Betta Pico https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...nted-pico.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode