300 wide Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
300 wide Build

Well, this is my first post on the forums, and I decided to go big. I am building a 300 gallon hi-tech planted tank for a customer (Hi Dan!) who is currently out of the country. I thought this would be a good way to both keep him up to date on the progress and perhaps be a interesting project for others to follow as well. So, here's the plan.

A 300gal (96x30x24) acrylic tank has been ordered, built and will be shipped shortly, in the meantime I have framed out a stand and will be finishing it after the tank arrives.

All supplies are on-hand, waiting for the tank to arrive and are as follows:

8 bags Eco-Complete
8 bags Fourite Black
8 bags Onyx Sand
12 48" T5-HO bulbs w/ Parabolic Reflectors
CO2 regulator
pH controller
Reaction Chamber
40w U.V. Sterilizer
2 Fluval FX-5 Canister Filters
800w JBJ True-Temp Titanium Heating system.

Final Aquascape composition and species selection TBD. We are currently leaning towards bala sharks and other mid-east/Asian/Australian species (denisoni barbs, rainbow fish, clown loaches). Suggestions welcome!

Feel free to follow along, post ideas comments, ask questions, and give advice. I'm looking forward to watching this thing develop! The first round of pics will be posted soon, and follow-ups posted as the build progresses. Stay tuned...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Sounds like an awesome build. Looking forward to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Planted Member

Hey Ferret,

this is a similar size tank to my set up which is: 244cmx70cmx93cm (approx 96x28x36) about 420g.

Fish ideas are very similar too. i decided not to keep Bala sharks although I was going to. Mmy tank is primarily for Rainbows, but I also keep 10 Denisoni barbs and dwarf chain loaches. Although lovely, in the long run clown loaches are not suitable in planted tanks, they will rip them up and redecorate. However that would be when they get to around 10" which takes several years. When upto 7" or so they are ok although may take to punching holes in leaves.

Here is a link to my tank: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...bow-haven.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret768 View Post

Final Aquascape composition and species selection TBD. We are currently leaning towards bala sharks and other mid-east/Asian/Australian species (denisoni barbs, rainbow fish, clown loaches). Suggestions welcome!

I thought you might like to see this vid from a German hobbyist. Similar tank size with Bala sharks:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfbspqOI2sw

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Hi Sanj, loved the vid, and was amazed at the stumps in your tank! I get so sick of the same old Malaysian or Mopani driftwood that my wholesalers stock, and have been looking for something more unique. I've been half tempted to take a massive bow saw down when I'm SCUBA diving and just bring back half a tree! More updates on that idea later....maybe.

I definitely want to put rainbows in there, and the custoomer is dead set on balas. As far as plants go I was considering planting retrospiralis in and around some rocky patches, growing needle leaf java fern, anubias, & bulbitis on driftwood peices and growing a few of the ozelot or "flame" swords for color. I really want more variety in leaf shape, color and plant structure, but I'm drawing blanks when trying to pick species that wont get eaten/dug up by the larger fish. Any ideas? Red ludwiggia might work, but in a 150 I have the rainbows constantly tear up the leaves of any delicate/fine leaved plants I put in there. Should I try to go with a more simplified approach of having a large grove of one main species (crypts perhaps) and accent it with individual large specimens and hardscape?

Pics of the stand later today. The orientation will have a major impact on aquascaping.

Newbie? ... Humbug.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Algae Grower

Hey Everyone!

Hey, Andrew!

I appreciate everyones advice so far on this build. We have been going back and forth for about the last 2 months on this tank. Still waiting on the tank though, like Ferret said. I have posted a couple other threads asking for advice on a couple specifics already, and the people here have been very helpful.

Please keep the advice, coments, suggesstions, and experience coming since Ferret is buildinging this for me and I AM a newbie.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret768 View Post
in a 150 I have the rainbows constantly tear up the leaves of any delicate/fine leaved plants I put in there. Should I try to go with a more simplified approach of having a large grove of one main species (crypts perhaps) and accent it with individual large specimens and hardscape?

Pics of the stand later today. The orientation will have a major impact on aquascaping.
Rainbows have a lot of plant matter in their diet, in the long run they dont do well on high protein low veg content diets. I focuss feeding them on herbivore food, Algae based even seaweed. I found they have less of an appetite then for the more delicate plants in the aquarium. This is not 100% full proof that they will never touch a delicate plant, but it should reduce.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Algae Grower

Hey everyone,

Sorry there was such a delay updating this post. I have some pictures of the stand being built and the tank on the stand. We have the water in the tank and a few fish in it, but it wont be finished untill thursday. I will have to take some more pictures before we finish everything then add the plants and the rest of the fish. We are still up for fish and plant suggestiions and i will have some more updates for you, hopefully, tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000916.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	27237  

Name:	P1000918.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	27238  

Name:	P1000919.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	27239  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
This should be great. I actually lived for a short time in Lynchburg.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Can't wait for the pics!

What have you got so far in there?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Algae Grower

Well, im back overseas again, and this is slowing down the whole process. I have all the up to date pictures on my phone, but unfortunatley I didnt find out that I couldnt get them off untill to late. So once I get back home, I will work on getting those pictures posted, though I will probly have to use a link to photobucket or something due to the size of the pics.

Right now I have about 10 rainbows and 10 cherry barbs in there. I decided to go with a rock-scape. I have the larger rocks on one end forming a slope to the other end of the tank where I plan on haveing some sort of carpeting plant. I also want to plant inbetween the rocks.

I plan on putting about 6 torpedo barbs, 4 balas, 2 rainbow sharks, a pleco, and a clown loach. I was thinking about getting another dozen rainbows.

I will get on this as soon as I get back. Let me know if have any thoughts for flora/fauna.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode