I have a planted 55g that went through a serious period of neglect. I decided to restart it recently and wanted to have a somewhat fresh start, so I ordered a whole bunch of new plants. I didn't want to just throw out all of my old, stunted, gnarly-looking plants, and I also had really been wanting to do a shrimp tank again. So I thought I'd combine the two and make a grow-out/shrimp tank with an old 33g I had sitting empty. And so was born... The Bubba Gumpin' Shrimpin' Company's 33 Shrimpy Gallons of Planted Shrimpery!!
10 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Pygmy Gourami
4 adult Amano shrimp
4ish adult Cherry shrimp
a few pest snails (I'm down to crushing only about 1 every two days)
Hygrophila polysperma ’Rosanervig’
Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Pink'
Ludwigia repens 'Rubin'
Murdannia keisak - one little stem
Hydrocotyle verticillata - one little runner
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Echinodorus 'Ozelot Green'
Anubias barteri var. nana
A bunch of Buce, can't remember which is which
The rejects from the 55 gal that I started with:
3 Severely stunted Red Lotus plants/bulbs
Some unknown, severely stunted crypts and swords
An unknown moss
: 4 GE bright stik 16W LEDs
in cheap clip on desk lamps (one bulb gives ~75 PAR @ 19" [which includes 7.5" from light to waterline]) - 8hr photoperiod
: Hydor 250
: National Geographic aquarium sand - black
: 10lb tank with Aquatek regulator and in-tank ceramic disc diffuser - ~1.3pH drop by mid-photoperiod
: pH (tap) 8.1, pH (tank w CO2) 6.8; TDS 190-230; kH 7; gH 11
: Weekly 33ppm NO3, 32ppm K, 8ppm PO4, 1.3ppm Fe
Full tank progression album
November 19, 2017 - Day 0
Day 18 - Added some plants, DW, lights, and a small circ. pump
Day 22 - Original tank had a lot of scratches so I re-sealed a leaky 33 gal I had sitting empty in my basement and swapped them out. I was originally delaying adding substrate as I was mulling over whether or not I really wanted to do the re-seal/swap, especially given that the leaky 33 gal still had a lot of scratches haha. Well now that they were swapped, time for substrate!
Day 24 - Added a few plants... and CO2!
Day 40 - Went home for a week+ for Christmas and came back to algae (a couple types, the one I could easily ID was cyano) and 2 types of (pest) snails
Day 40 - 5 hrs later - and the daily ritual of crushing every snail I can see begins (normally 2-3/day)
Day 75 - Added a bunch more plants, 10 Harlequin Rasbora, 4 Pygmy Gourami and swapped out the two HOBs for a Hydor 250 canister filter. (Frig those scratches
** A quick note on the shrimp - I've decided to hold off on putting much effort into the shrimp part of the tank at the moment. I'm going to focus on getting the plants growing well and the tank balanced and stable, then I'm going to look into adding a whole bunch of shrimp. Hopefully this tank will eventually live up to its name