GregPxC's - 20 Gal Long Rock+Wood (56k) - New Riverscape Completed 12/21/10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
GregPxC's - 20 Gal Long Rock+Wood (56k) - New Riverscape Completed 12/21/10

Alright so I haven't posted a thread on this but here are a few pictures and some info just to give you an idea before I rescape it tomorrow.

This is my oldest tank from my new kick of aquariums. I started it on 7/15

Standard aga 20 gal long (petco dollar per gal sale)
AquaClear HOB Filter (not sure on size but I know it's mighty large and used to run on a 30 no problem)
Heater (not sure on wattage... keeps it warm though)
24" 36w Coralife Freshwater Fixture with one full spectrum and one plant bulb
Used to do DIY co2 but have since stopped and gone low tech
I do use RM and osmocoat (in tab form) under my substrate

Fauna:
- numerous pygmy corys (I started with 5... lost 2... and gained at least 10 =] I think they have a colony inside the largest rock on the left)
- 3 chinese algae eaters. One is enormous and two are odd. They have the CAE body with a golden head... strange. I worry about the CAE. I think he may be the reason my corys haven't had fry since he got big.
- Just added today (12-16-2010) A breeding trio (one male, two female) Goodeid - Xenotoca eiseni

As far as plans go the 3 CAEs will be moved to my 75 after xmas when I get it set up. The corys will likely be relocated to a dedicated 5 gallon planted and this tank will be for the goodeids and whatever else I feel like keeping with them (theyre fin nippers... maybe a GBR pair would be good, I like paradise fish as well...)

Plants:
- Two large amazon swords (one is in the process of recovering from a two day mistreatment (relocating it and forgetting it in the bucket)
- Anubias Barteri (I believe, the leaves are pretty massive)
- DHG (spreading rapidly with the addition of tabs, just put it in)
- Star grass (making a come back from an algae war)
- Water primrose (unsure on the scientific of that)
- Some other strange grass (ID please?)

7-27-2010 (still cloudy from the substrate)

7-28-2010

8-3-2010

11-4-2010

11-11-2010

There was a large algae bloom when I got rid of the co2 but after a three day blackout and help from my extra large snail, it has finally shown signs of clearing. I also added osmocoat and rm tabs under the substrate which I believe may be another cause of algae death. The anubias (since the last picture) has two roots that found their way into the substrate which has caused an immense amount of growth.

To be honest. This tank disgusts me. I plan to rescape it and make it a little more enjoyable for myself. I have some driftwood burls to use and I plan to reuse the rocks since i can't seem to get my Pymy corys out of them.

I will post a before picture of the most recent look. Look for pics of the new scape tomorrow!

Last edited by gregpxc; 12-21-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's the New Scape...

The goal was to come up with a river type scape.

On the right I have some wood (the picture shows one small burl but I have a branch and another burl soaking, waiting to go in, hence the "mostly completed" in the title), black rivers stones, and elevated substrate which leads to the left where the rocks get bigger and thicker.

The rocks I used in all previous scapes and this one come from a nearby river. They have all been tested and are safe for aquarium use =]

I wanted the rocks to form a background in my tank which also includes a lot of caves and tunnels that will hopefully inspire my pygmies to start breeding again.

I also completely opened up the front to allow for more swimming space and replanted to the DHG for optimum growth. I also placed a couple more RM tabs under the sand (I put one by the two major roots coming off of the anubias cuz I honestly felt bad for uprooting it after the shoots just made it to the substrate a few days ago. It's a present for the anubias =])

Anyway, here are the pics!

My Oddly Bred CAE (2 are part albino and one is normal)

My Male Goodeid - Xenotoca eiseni

Male and Female

Possible Goodeid cave

The caves on the front of the largest rock are where my pygmies used to reside. They may pick a new cave but only time will tell. They didn't leave that cave the entire time I was scaping.

Pygmies!

Left

Right

Angle

And The FTS - I went a little overboard with photoshop but if people really care I'll post the original up

Comments and Suggestions welcome as always. Don't make me beg =]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Awesome. Give it some time and man... It'll look epic. One little thing with the hardscape though. I would move 1-3 of the rocks from the far right of the formation and place them half buried in the substrate up front.

How do you like those Goodieds? Where did you get them? I can't wait to see/get mine. (Ilydon Frucidens) Beautifle fish, wild-type livebearers.
Regards,
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the comments!

I may move a couple rocks forward but the entire front is covered in DHG so I'm not sure if I would want to break it up more but I can try it and see.

The goodeids came from a guy in the club I'm in. If you read TFH you'll know about the breeding contest that went on all year. Mike H, the winner, is the head of the club. I didn't get these from him but I have gotten some killis from him as well as my micro worm cultures. Just thought I would brag a bit lol

I just thought, what if I put some wood up front kind of buried instead of restricting it all to that little segment on the right?

About the goodeids, im excited to see them breed. The umbilical cord thing interests me. I'm ready to witness that. When I got them they took a while to acclimate, mostly just laying low but now they are starting to show true livebearer personalities by sporadically swimming where ever their fins take em. Do you know if you can mix different goodeid species without hybridization? Also, do you know if they'll hurt eachother or the young if I do get a breeding trio of another type?

Anyway, I'll mess with the scape a bit more and thanks again for the words.

Anymore suggestions?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quick update

One of the female goodeids is about ready to pop. I would say 1-2 weeks assuming shes comfortable in there. Her gravid spot is practically black and it's very large. I'll try and get some pics or a video of the birthing as I assume I'm not the only one who is interested in seeing this odd process.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am hoping for some input on this one guys.

I have one burl piece of wood and a branch that's currently in a different tank.

Does this tank need just a little bit more wood on the right? (the other burl is almost 3 times as big as the existing one) or does it need a lot more wood. I can take pics of the wood if that would help. I am just a little unsure as to whether or not I should add a bunch more (and take some from another tank) or just use what I have on hand.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quick Pic and Scape update:
Still cloudy from the scaping

must be hungry =P

Comments and Suggestions welcome!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is very nice, but I think it's kind of sparsely planted for the amount of time you've had it running.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Looking better!

I would add the extra wood that you have and on the left side. I would also bring the other piece of dirftwood on the right into focuse more. Also, get rid of those black rocks on the right. They are really unnatural looking and take away from the sword in the back.

Congrats on the female! You are making me want to get my vacation over with ASAP...

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
This is very nice, but I think it's kind of sparsely planted for the amount of time you've had it running.
up until a few weeks ago I had hardly any plants in my tank... sorry lol
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
Looking better!

I would add the extra wood that you have and on the left side. I would also bring the other piece of dirftwood on the right into focuse more. Also, get rid of those black rocks on the right. They are really unnatural looking and take away from the sword in the back.

Congrats on the female! You are making me want to get my vacation over with ASAP...
I am out of extra wood ATM and I don't want to take away from the right. I thought the black rocks gave the affect that the river was going from shore to deep from right to left. I may play with it a bit more. Thanks for the input!

I'm pretty excited for the female too lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Baby Crypts and IDed plants added!

Alright I added some plants that I took from my shrimp and killi tanks today as well some baby crypts that I got from non_compliance (thanks!).

I could use an ID on the plants that I took from my pre existing tanks.

I don't know this one:

And I don't know this one:

Shots for Fun

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode