Fluval Spec 5 Gallon Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was planning on starting up a 20 gallon long, but I saw a fluval spec and bought it on impulse. So now I am building an iwagumi scape in a 5 gallon spec. I've had planted tanks before but considering the size of this one I think it will be a challenge. I plan on testing parameters as often as possible, everyday if I have time.

This is my item list:
Tank: Fluval Spec 5 gallon
Lighting: Stock 7000k LED (unless issues arise and I may switch to a planted+ 24/7)
Filter: Removed stock sponge and filled compartment with ceramic media in a media bag along with smaller sponges and floss
Heater: 50W preset (fits better than adjustable)
Substrate: ADA Amazonia
Hardscape: Ohko Stone
Ferts: DIY solutions of macros and micros (plantex). Will be dosing according the the EI method
CO2: Fluval 45 gram CO2 kit (hoping this lasts for a while with such a small tank. I've had bad luck with cheap paintball setups in the past and don't want to pony up the cashe for a real setup just yet)
Plants: DHG (plan to carpet most of the tank) and Cryptocoryne Mioya
Fauna: TBD

I'm not sure what I want to do for fish yet. I've never kept shrimp so I might go with a bunch of cherry shrimp. Otherwise I'll probably go with a group of the smallest schooling fish I can find.

I plan on scaping and planting later today. Although, my plants are tissue cultures so I may let them sit another day so I can scape today and see if I still like it tomorrow.

This is my first iwagumi scape and first "nano" tank so any advice/constructive criticism is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Why test parameters everyday? Don't stress over some parameters. I had a 6 gallon and it was totally fine w/o all the testing. It only costs you money and the test kits are way off. Only testing I do is to see if the aqua soil is cycled and the livestock can go in.

Don't rush the hardscape... It can take days/weeks to get it right. Practice with that first. Do as much research as you can about Iwagumi about the "rules" and look for inspiration.

Put a light over the tissue culture pots and you are fine for a week or so.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I want to test often because up to this point I have rarely tested any tanks I had. I figured if they looked all right there was nothing to worry about. But I wouldn't like to learn about how the water chemistry changes and behaves so I figure the best way to do that is to test and record parameters consistently and often.

Here's a pic of the scape as it is now, I first tried to use a stone about 1.5x the size of the father stone that's in there now, but I think it was way to big. I think the three I have in now are mh best bet for a good scape. I also have 2 more even smaller pieces but I don't think they will fit to well. I could also break apart the other big piece for some different options but I think I'd like to keep it whole

Thoughts on the scape?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1516375789879.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	820866  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a shot without the CO2 cartridge in the back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1516376234211.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	820874  

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would scape around the CO2 diffuser placement. I'd use the "father" rock to hide it if it were me. The best place for diffuser it is near the output nozzle, as the inflow is too weak to pull all the micro bubbles through the bio media, resulting it alot of wasted CO2.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
I would scape around the CO2 diffuser placement. I'd use the "father" rock to hide it if it were me. The best place for diffuser it is near the output nozzle, as the inflow is too weak to pull all the micro bubbles through the bio media, resulting it alot of wasted CO2.
The co2 is actually all hidden, I just had it in sight cus I had been messing with it. I have the diffuser near the pump I the sump area.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Use the golden ratio / rule of thirds

The stones are to small get bigger stones to make more impact.

Remember the stones will also get covered in plants if they are to small.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode