110 planted tank ...new beginnings - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
110 planted tank ...new beginnings

some photos of a former reef tank that I converted to planted tank....

comments welcome got a large piece of driftwood...to go in... i put some drawf grass in there .... now i am getting these angry snails that fight each other on the glass... any idea.. i assume they came in the grass.. are they bad , good or other wise....running pc and vho lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

couple pics of my nano reef i threw up the same day to get back in the reef game after my tank crash...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

tha eairs tone has been removed since the cat fish i had died upon tranfering to this tank... c02 set up just waiting on a needle valve ... payapl finally got my money back from a failed transaction.... need small over flow to get to my sump which will house filtration and co2 reactor....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

back to the snails they are and the egg pods are horse shoe shaped....are they a nuisance or ok please advise,...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
depends on who you ask and what you consider a nuisance as well as what type of fish you plan on stocking.

i personally have snails in all of my tanks as they clean up any leftovers, eat some algaes, and look cool if you appreciate them for what they are and dont have a negatively biased opinion. if you overfeed to much you will probably start to consider them a nuisance when there population explodes all over your tank but then that would be your own fault because ive never seen a snail that could beat a fish to a meal.

as for the fish, Botia species aka loaches will eat them, in which case you will have no problems with nuisance invertebrates at all.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well in my limitted planted experience i am not sure what i will be stocking but i was thinking discus originall... but i know some algae eaters, was nt planning on some loaches but could do some... i dunno ... like i said this is my first planted tank... well offical planted tank running co2 i had some other plants that never took off in a planted tank...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I married a mermaid who swims in swamps and eats lychens .... she also is part minitaur...any suggestions...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROCK4224 View Post
I married a mermaid who swims in swamps and eats lychens .... she also is part minitaur...any suggestions...
???
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danh Vu View Post
???

hahahah no one seems interested in my thread or commenting on it so I posted something interesting in hopes it would stir up some interest...i need a overflow box... any reccomnedations.. i used a cpr dyual overflow on this tank when it was a reef tank but am thinking I dont need anything that flows that much water..got my needle valve from sumo... thanks very much guys... took forever for my payapl to get reversed ... funny part is that rex emailed me the day i got refunded.. he's had a lot going on so i understnad... i just needed the valve..no hard feelings... i wish they made a product besides duct tape and bailing wire to get my drift wood to sink... wish i woulda pre soaked it now...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
You could try using rocks to hold your driftwood down. If you cant get rocks to stay on top of it, you could attach (with stainless screws) a piece of slate to the bottom. This makes it easier to position and keeps it sunk.

Never used an overflow but am interested in suggestions as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
You could try using rocks to hold your driftwood down. If you cant get rocks to stay on top of it, you could attach (with stainless screws) a piece of slate to the bottom. This makes it easier to position and keeps it sunk.

Never used an overflow but am interested in suggestions as well.

that slate idea is a great idea never thought of that....this piece is huge too... i will post some pics now that i got all my nano reefs up and running i am back on my planted tank... I am using a sump and the overflow i wanna use i cant remember the name its a u tube style one... I loved my cpr once i wswitched to a power head and not a stupid aqua lifter that would go bad with algae and flood my sump...

heres a pic of the bc 14 i set up for my 19 month old daughter ... ps she friggin loves it...

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ordered a eshopps 800 over flow and am plpanning on trying to get it up and runing this weekend....cant wait to have some flow in my tank finally besides the powerheads....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Spent some time this weekend drift wooding it up in my tank... got the overflow(kinda loud..) all plumped along withthe sump and the co2 is up and running...re did the lights put the front facia back on my tank...hoping my dry drift wood stays inthe tank... when it comes loose it breaches like a whale and will anialate my lights if at the right angle...gonna take some pics tonight if i get a chanvc e water is kinda cloudy ... even after several water changes...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode