UNS 3n Dragonstone bonsai - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
UNS 3n Dragonstone bonsai

Current FTS:

It's been a while since my last project (see signature) a shallow cube which lasted three years while I was in MI. I had hoped to be growing algae in a reef tank by now, alas I will wait for a bit before that happens.

Tank: UNS 3G - 60$
Stand: Table, no diy this time
Light: Asta 20 - 44$
Filter: SunSun 603B 25$
Heater: Florida home, none needed
Co2: None
Hardscape: Undecided - rock-scape will be tough on this scale
Flora: Image below, Thinking of the Monte Carlo instead of HC
Fauna: One Betta

Here's what I would like to end up with:

Here is the potential space, the table isn't as over engineered as I'd like to, but for a nano it will do. Will coat it to make it waterproof/resistant soon.

Bump: Ended up with the following tank from Amazon by Ultum. Good quality in my opinion, in terms of the 45 degree joint.
2.9 gallons

Boostr and Boostr like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by griffin_pak; 03-06-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: More pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got the smallest SunSun, worked well in the past for me, dirt cheap.

Bump: In terms of light I went with a unknown Chinese LED (dimmable) from amazon, good reviews.
Comes with two lenses, 120 or 60 degree spread. Unfortunately the 60 has a yellow border. Too much light for this tank, will be using it quite a bit dimmed.

120 degree lens

The included 60 degree lens

The ugly yellow border with the 60 degree

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

With a tank so small, I am thinking of getting red lava rock, break into pieces to make the hardscape (mountain and plateau for the bonsai)

Any one else tried this? or perhaps used dragon stone?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice start! I will be fallowing. as I want to set up a FW planted tank. I also grow macro algae in a dedicated reef...
anyway keep us posted
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
nice start! I will be fallowing. as I want to set up a FW planted tank. I also grow macro algae in a dedicated reef...
anyway keep us posted
Hey thanks! Waiting for the redsea peninsula to drop a little in price for my sps/lps setup soon!!!

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I went to a local rock yard and picked up pieces of a broken faux rocks made with concrete (fiberglass)

Unfortunately it does fizzle with vinegar

Any thoughts on a huge rock in a small tank?

Last edited by griffin_pak; 01-19-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Edit
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Algae Grower

I think it might look better if you went with a rock that was about 30% smaller, but Im no expert!
griffin_pak and griffin_pak like this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
I think it might look better if you went with a rock that was about 30% smaller, but Im no expert!
My thought exactly!!!!! I'm gonna try to chisel carefully and try to crack it down the 1/3. Does have fiberglass through the middle for reinforcement.

A little worried still about this faux rock, my local ph here in FL is 8, this rock does fizzle with vinegar.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A or B?

A

B

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin_pak View Post
My thought exactly!!!!! I'm gonna try to chisel carefully and try to crack it down the 1/3. Does have fiberglass through the middle for reinforcement.

A little worried still about this faux rock, my local ph here in FL is 8, this rock does fizzle with vinegar.
Bite the bullet and get some natural rock! It will look better and you don't have to worry that way.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankninja View Post
Bite the bullet and get some natural rock! It will look better and you don't have to worry that way.
Guess what? got me a nice big Ohko from a LFS, might be too big for my tank, but we'll deal with that problem when I get home

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

I'm so curious to see how this goes. Such a cute little tank.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
griffin_pak and griffin_pak like this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So ordered some plants!!!!
And decided on a final scape I think.

Monte Carlo
HC
Anubias nana petite
Fissidens
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Local pond has this, pennywort?

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bonsai is in, compacted the roots into a crevice without any soil, some sand, lets hope it survives

[img]https://image.ibb.co/j7iEVc/54_FD1780_1_A16_4_A69_83_E6_4319_F0_A09_F89.jpg[img]

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode